2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
GrandAxe

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

strad wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 22:54
Thought I would pull up the race and see what I could see.
I already deleted the grid walk so I can't speak to anything before when they lined up on the grid before the formation lap. BUT at that point they had blankets on the fronts but none on the rears of either Mercedes. :wink:
Hadn't noticed before this heated discussion.
Like I say, I cannot speak to anything before on the grid before the formation lap. Every other car I saw had them all the way around.
I don't have the Hungarian GP, but the German GP shows Mercedes on the start grid with both front and rear tyre warmers.

Perhaps the rears are removed first.

strad

Could be..I thought about that but the crew did not have any in their hands whereas the guy in front that pulled those off could be seen holding them.
I am not taking a side just reporting what I see.
When they stopped Bottas on lap 16 I couldn't see clearly if they had warmers on all four tires but I can't be sure.
When I record the race I will watch all the pit stops to see if I can see warmers on the tires.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

strad

I WAS WRONG!!!!!!
THEY DID HAVE WARMERS ON THE REARS.
While recording I was able to see something I couldn't see before. Only on screen for a second but they were definitely there. :oops: Sorry about that.
If some doesn't believe me because I got it wrong at first I will grab a bit of video when I get done recording.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

Zynerji

maxxer wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 23:36
Seems ferrari with the 2 batteries have some sort of traction control on the rear wheel ....
They would dominate in the wet if that was the case... #-o

GrandAxe

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 18:06
GrandAxe wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 16:28
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:16

Probably you don´t know, but he´s a former HRT, BMW and Ferrari F1 teams engineer, so if I have to choose between your opinion and his... :wink:

Maybe he was not literal, maybe they use them but for a much shorter period, maybe they only stop using them on hot days and tracks.... who knows, but you can be sure he never talk BS so there must be something there, wich is an unquestionable evidence Mercedes put his rear tires on temperature much easier than any other team

Actually I consider him the most reliable F1 source you can find on a TV by a good margin, he´s not a journalist, he´s an experienced F1 engineer
Don't you see Mercedes with your own two eyes, both on the starting grid and in the garage, with tyre blankets on (front and rear)? Toni Cuquerella's tale is something you and I can verify to be false pretty sharply. So, why should some ex-engineer tell you otherwise and you believe?

It is an absolutely ridiculous claim Toni Cuquerella made; perhaps he is no longer in F1 (or engineering) and has switched 360 degrees to journalism for good reason.
Yeah you surely know better than a former Ferrari engineer, period #-o
You might want to send the pics below to Toni Cuquerella of Spanish TV. They are screenshots of the Merc garage just before Bottas 2nd pit stop (2018 Hockenheim GP) - taken from a TV, hence the poor quality.

Tell him that fake news is bad news; as those tyre blankets look suspiciously not just like "right rear" and "left rear" are written in bold red ink on them, but also that they seem to be packed full with rear tyres (of all things!).

zac510

Maybe the tyre warmer is switched off :D

Godius

Re: Aston Martin Red Bull Racing TAG Heuer RB14

johndoucakis wrote:
02 Aug 2018, 00:16
Hi experts. I had the chance to attend the Hungarian GP and managed to take a few photos.
Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32628370@N03/

They expand to full screen or can be dowloaded.

John
Thanks for sharing, great content.

LM10

GrandAxe wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 08:06
Andres125sx wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

Don't you see Mercedes with your own two eyes, both on the starting grid and in the garage, with tyre blankets on (front and rear)? Toni Cuquerella's tale is something you and I can verify to be false pretty sharply. So, why should some ex-engineer tell you otherwise and you believe?

It is an absolutely ridiculous claim Toni Cuquerella made; perhaps he is no longer in F1 (or engineering) and has switched 360 degrees to journalism for good reason.
You might want to send the pics below to Toni Cuquerella of Spanish TV. They are screenshots of the Merc garage just before Bottas 2nd pit stop (2018 Hockenheim GP) - taken from a TV, hence the poor quality.

Tell him that fake news is bad news; as those tyre blankets look suspiciously not just like "right rear" and "left rear" are written in bold red ink on them, but also that they seem to be packed full with rear tyres (of all things!).

https://ibb.co/kOnNTz

https://ibb.co/btMhTz
The second pit stop of Bottas was at lap 52 and those screenshots were taken at lap 45. So, not really just before.

GrandAxe

This.
Same guy, same race, same team, same rear tyre warmers, same shame on Toni Cuquerella of Spanish TV.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 18:34
Andres125sx wrote:
Just because he is a former Ferrari engineer, doesn't mean he isn't now a click bait writing moron.
Not necesarily, agree, but engineers tend to be <edited out expressions easy to be taken as confrontational and personal>; they´re technicians with loads of experience who base their decisions and opinions only on facts
dans79 wrote:
Honestly anyone with working eye-balls can tell he is full of it.
Have you ever listened or read anything from him? :roll:

It´s funny how some people has no problems assuming a former Ferrari engineer is a moron by default. I guess that´s easier to recon you might be wrong

If you´d have ever listened to him, you´d know he´s exactly the opposite to a moron or journalist. He actually correct journalists at the broadcast frequently to stop their sensationalism.

Andres125sx

GrandAxe wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 08:06
Andres125sx wrote:
GrandAxe wrote:

https://ibb.co/kOnNTz

https://ibb.co/btMhTz
Did you bother to read and try to comprehend my post?

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:16
Maybe he was not literal, maybe they use them but for a much shorter period, maybe they only stop using them on hot days and tracks.... who knows, but you can be sure he never talk BS so there must be something there, wich is an unquestionable evidence Mercedes put his rear tires on temperature much easier than any other team

Actually I consider him the most reliable F1 source you can find on a TV by a good margin, he´s not a journalist, he´s an experienced F1 engineer
One pic with the blankets on on a wet or damp, but surely cold track does not mean anything. But if he noticed no blankets at some track that does.

Heck even if they only did one test at some hot track, but then decided they couldn´t go out with such cold tires will mean a lot more, as that test would only make sense if they really heat up tires much faster than usual
Last edited by Andres125sx on 04 Aug 2018, 13:41, edited 1 time in total.

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:
Just because he is a former Ferrari engineer, doesn't mean he isn't now a click bait writing moron. Honestly anyone with working eye-balls can tell he is full of it.

Have you ever listened or read anything from him before assuming he´s a moron? :roll:

He´s exactly the opposite, a rational engineer who never claim anything he´s not sure about. He does correct journalists from the broadcast frequently to stop their sensationalism

strad

do I need to post video?
they used all 4.
In fact the commentators on SKY said that they had them cranked up all the way so they didn't need to be warmed up.
Do I need to edit that up for you?
You better believe that if I cop publicly to being wrong, I was wrong.
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 13:35
He´s exactly the opposite, a rational engineer who never claim anything he´s not sure about. He does correct journalists from the broadcast frequently to stop their sensationalism
He is the one that needs corrected, as several screen grabs in this thread alone prove he is wrong!
197 104 103 7

Andres125sx

So you think using blankets on a wet and cold track is an unquestionable evidence they´ve always use them even on hot tracks?

That´s a weird reasoning if you ask me...