2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2018 Hungarian Grand Prix - Hungaroring, 27-29 July

Have we got any video evidence of Merc not using tyre blankets at any stage this season ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 13:08
Have we got any video evidence of Merc not using tyre blankets at any stage this season ?
To paraphrase, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. If there are no pics available, it does not mean it does not happen. There are pics of the blankets in use, so it is more likely, is it not?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

NathanOlder

Id say if there are no pics of their absence, then we have to assume they are always used.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 13:02
So you think using blankets on a wet and cold track is an unquestionable evidence they´ve always use them even on hot tracks?

That´s a weird reasoning if you ask me...
I see now proof that they are not using them..............
197 104 103 7

Andres125sx

dans79 wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:14
Andres125sx wrote:
So you think using blankets on a wet and cold track is an unquestionable evidence they´ve always use them even on hot tracks?

Since my english is not that good, I´ll let Big Tea reply this
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 15:38
To paraphrase, absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.
Maybe some of you rely on journalists (frequently an article is taken as a reliable source) but not on former F1 engineers, but I´m different, I take any article with a grain of salt, even if it comes from reputable journalists, and words from people with deep F1 knownledge as a reliable source

He might be wrong, nobody is perfect, but to me the negative from some fans to believe him is far from enough to assume he´s wrong

Big Tea

Andres125sx wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:53
dans79 wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:

Big Tea wrote:
Maybe some of you rely on journalists (frequently an article is taken as a reliable source) but not on former F1 engineers, but I´m different, I take any article with a grain of salt, even if it comes from reputable journalists, and words from people with deep F1 knownledge as a reliable source

He might be wrong, nobody is perfect, but to me the negative from some fans to believe him is far from enough to assume he´s wrong
Trust your own eyes. :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

GrandAxe

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 13:22
GrandAxe wrote:
04 Aug 2018, 08:06
Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 18:06

Yeah you surely know better than a former Ferrari engineer, period #-o
You might want to send the pics below to Toni Cuquerella of Spanish TV. They are screenshots of the Merc garage just before Bottas 2nd pit stop (2018 Hockenheim GP) - taken from a TV, hence the poor quality.

Tell him that fake news is bad news; as those tyre blankets look suspiciously not just like "right rear" and "left rear" are written in bold red ink on them, but also that they seem to be packed full with rear tyres (of all things!).

https://ibb.co/kOnNTz

https://ibb.co/btMhTz
Did you bother to read and try to comprehend my post?

Andres125sx wrote:
03 Aug 2018, 09:16
Maybe he was not literal, maybe they use them but for a much shorter period, maybe they only stop using them on hot days and tracks.... who knows, but you can be sure he never talk BS so there must be something there, wich is an unquestionable evidence Mercedes put his rear tires on temperature much easier than any other team

Actually I consider him the most reliable F1 source you can find on a TV by a good margin, he´s not a journalist, he´s an experienced F1 engineer
One pic with the blankets on on a wet or damp, but surely cold track does not mean anything. But if he noticed no blankets at some track that does.

Heck even if they only did one test at some hot track, but then decided they couldn´t go out with such cold tires will mean a lot more, as that test would only make sense if they really heat up tires much faster than usual
A cold track during Europe's almost unprecedented heatwave? Come on.

All European races this season have been in blistering track conditions (rain or not). Secondly, there was light rain at ONLY one corner, hardly the entire track. Thirdly, the only pic I posted with a wet tyre was the last one, the other two were of slicks in tyre blankets (used on a very hot track).

This is getting unreal now.

Let's lay Spanish TV's Toni Cuquerella's ridiculous, click baity claims to rest and continue to savour the excellent Hungarian GP, which is undoubtedly up there with the very best.

Andres125sx

Fair enoguh, didn´t remind track temps at Hungary

But I never said he was talking about Hungary, and as said previously, even if he only watched one single test from Mercedes going out without using the blankets that will mean a lot more than a thousand pics with the blankets on on Hungary

Anycase this is tiring, I hear Cuquerella at every race and when I read someone who has never listen to him calling him a moron I don´t need anything else to know who´s the real moron

Andres125sx

Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:13
Andres125sx wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 17:53
dans79 wrote:

Big Tea wrote:

That´s what I do, but since my eyes can´t be everywhere, I can´t think about any other pair more reliable than those from Cuquerella.

But you know, fanboys tend to think they know better than anyone, even if they come from the paddock

henry

Is it possible that the rear blankets, though fitted, are not heated? Or not heated to the same temperatures as the front.

I think we might expect a team to continue to fit blankets even when not heated so that the procedures in the pits don’t change.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

dans79

Andres125sx wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 09:18
Anycase this is tiring, I hear Cuquerella at every race and when I read someone who has never listen to him calling him a moron I don´t need anything else to know who´s the real moron
Says the guy who can provide no proof!
197 104 103 7

LM10

henry wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 12:11
Is it possible that the rear blankets, though fitted, are not heated? Or not heated to the same temperatures as the front.

I think we might expect a team to continue to fit blankets even when not heated so that the procedures in the pits don’t change.
Indeed, simply not heating the tyre blankets would be the logical way instead of not putting them on. So all the discussion here about blankets being used or not is probably quite unnecessary. :)

henry

LM10 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 14:47
henry wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 12:11

Indeed, simply not heating the tyre blankets would be the logical way instead of not putting them on. So all the discussion here about blankets being used or not is probably quite unnecessary. :)
And rather more heated than is needed.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

hollus

No more Cuquerella, please!
The tire warmers might or might not have been on at that particular moment, and there is incomplete evidence for either side. It will stay uncertain for now.
No name calling and no one needs to be right or wrong, OK?

Pretty please.
Rivals, not enemies.

Andres125sx

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 13:08
Big Tea wrote:
05 Aug 2018, 18:13
dans79 wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 13:32
Andres125sx wrote:
06 Aug 2018, 09:18
Says the guy who can provide no proof!

Yesterday, at Monza Q3, when they all went in for a tire change and go to the second and last attempt, Cuquerella said it again, Mercedes without tire warmers on the rear tires. Luckily I had it recorded, so rewing and took a pic for you. Anycase this is the oficial TV coverage so you can see it by yourserlf if the picture is still not convicing enough :P

Cuquerella is not a journalist, and he never talk BS, he´s a former F1 engineer and has the perfect example of an engineer mind, he never says anything he´s no proof about, or if he says it to let us know, he always clarify it´s just a rumour