2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
piast9

Re: 2018 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa Francorchamps, 24-26 August

I am of the opinion that this track does not need the DRS, at least on the Kemmel straight. Today there was no fight whatsoever for gaining a place. Driver in a bit faster car had to wait for that straight to pass. It was ridiculous when Hartley was overtaken on the pit straight and was able to pass back on the Kemmel straight even though he was slower.

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:53
And that is F1's problem right there...
That your favorite driver didn't win?

Fix the racing, not enough passing, too much money, too complicated... On and on, but most of the complaints seem rooted in people wanting only their favorite driver to do the passing and the winning. Then they claim there is something systemically wrong with the sport, because Driver Whomever, their cosplay character, isn't performing as well as dreamt.

I'm not succeeding, other people whom I purport to support aren't succeeding, there must be a nebulous systemic issue causing all this... My, there are some deeper philosophical dimensions at play down here in the salt mine.

Amazing. :lol:

Edit: multiple spelling errors. I blame the keyboards! Down with Qwerty! I am far better than this multi-keyed device shows me to be!
Last edited by roon on 26 Aug 2018, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.

Big Tea

Juzh wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:58
Just_a_fan wrote:
Juzh wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:15
Vettel's start onboard

https://streamable.com/nhkrw

Quite a role reversal from last year. Feels good to see mercedes mugged on the straights, not gonna lie about that.
Yeah, second best driver in the best car beats best driver in second best car. Did anyone think the result would be anything other than Vet 1, Ham 2? A foregone conclusion.

Which is why I went to the pub at 12.30 and came home at 5.30. Great time with great people. Chatting to various people, all agreed that the likely result was Vettel passing Hamilton on the Kemmel before driving away. The title will be decided by reliability and consistency. We talked more about the MotoGP race up the road at Silverstone. And that is F1's problem right there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KquFZYi6L0
When I go to the pub at 12:30 and got back at 5:30 I do not usually post. (OK, I admit I sometimes do, but try not to :D )
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Shrieker

Vettel won today, and quite obviously he had the faster car. That was the case with the past two tracks as well (although not so dramatically as was the case today), with vastly different characters. Hamilton has no business leading the title race, and looks like Merc's gotta come up with some answers if he is to remain there. 'tis but a shame the rain didn't arrive this time :D
Last edited by Shrieker on 26 Aug 2018, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Juzh

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:03
Just_a_fan wrote:

Fix the racing, not enough passing, too much money, to0 complicated... On and on, but most of the complaints seem rooted in people wanting only their favorite driver to do the passing and the winning. Then they claim there is something systemically wrong with the sport, because Driver Whomever, their cosplay character, isn't performing as well as dreamt.

I'm not succeeding, other people whom I purport to support aren't succeeding, there must be a nebulous systemic issue causing all this... My, there are some deeper philosophical dimensions at play down here in the salt mine.

Amazing. :lol:
isa yoke :D

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

Alonso has transcended to a new level. No longer concerned with results. The rules. Track limits. Amongst the conformity, the single-minded focus of his colleagues, he floats. Sideways, he looks upon the simple drivers beneath him in placid contemplation.

gastonmazzacane

gastonmazzacane wrote:
25 Aug 2018, 20:27
So...can a Ferrari pass Mercedes on Kemmel straight on normal terms(No Merc driver errors on Raidillon or La Source...etc)?
I guess they can =D>

roon

piast9 wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 18:58
I am of the opinion that this track does not need the DRS, at least on the Kemmel straight. Today there was no fight whatsoever for gaining a place. Driver in a bit faster car had to wait for that straight to pass. It was ridiculous when Hartley was overtaken on the pit straight and was able to pass back on the Kemmel straight even though he was slower.
Ideally, Hamilton should be consulted on where to put DRS zones prior to each race. This is one of the problems with F1. He's not in an advisory role. He should be given a status as steward. The provisional role he was granted in this capacity at Germany this year should be extended.

Just_a_fan

roon wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:03
Just_a_fan wrote:

Nope. Just F1 is predictable. Didn't need to watch to know P2 is in a good place at Spa, that Ferrari has the faster car and therefore once past, would win.

It's a shame because F1 at Spa so should be fantastic. It's been predictable for some time. Yesterday was the only interest in the weekend.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

Big Tea wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:08

When I go to the pub at 12:30 and got back at 5:30 I do not usually post. (OK, I admit I sometimes do, but try not to :D )
Type. Read your post. Read again. Read yet again. Press submit and wing it. 8)
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

roon

Just_a_fan wrote:
26 Aug 2018, 19:43
Just F1 is predictable.
Silverstone '18. Force India qualified third and fourth yesterday. Ferrari leading CC. Renault 4th. Williams in last place. You must have a good crystal ball.

Schuttelberg

Fans on both sides are so idiotic that it burns my soul. Come to discuss F1 and you have some people dissing a driver because he won only because he had the fastest car and the other lot calling one of the greatest champions in our sport all sorts of names because he hated losing today.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Jolle

Watching the replay, Alonso's right front wishbones broke on LeClerc's HALO while his wheel was on it's was to/near his head... damn he was lucky having the device.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/og3288m7lac05 ... 2.png?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwc360iswky8o ... 0.png?dl=0
Last edited by Jolle on 26 Aug 2018, 20:03, edited 1 time in total.