2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SiLo
71
User avatar
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by SiLo » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:16 pm

It's almost beneficial to start on row 2 here such is the tow to turn 1.
Felipe Baby!

siskue2005
145
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by siskue2005 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm

Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm
I think Ferrari will be difficult to beat unless the best they qualify is the 2nd row. Massive tow from the start...
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....

Restomaniac
3
Joined: Mon May 16, 2016 12:09 am
Location: Hull

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by Restomaniac » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:11 pm

Hamilton now has one DNF and two 2nd places in his pocket with just 6 races to go.
Vettel just HAS to win this.

dans79
193
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by dans79 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:39 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
I beg to differ!

Juzh
329
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:45 am

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by Juzh » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:27 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm
I think Ferrari will be difficult to beat unless the best they qualify is the 2nd row. Massive tow from the start...
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
:lol: :lol: #-o
Vettel had good start just not the perfect one bottas had. Not to mention ferrari had much more drag and also less deployment at that time. It was pretty much guaranteed bottas was gonna jump at least one of the ferrari at the start.

godlameroso
333
User avatar
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:27 pm
Location: Miami FL

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by godlameroso » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:36 pm

dans79 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:02 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Never mind, no rain now ? Nice weather really? Oh well Vettel needs to win a few.
I wouldn't git it to him yet, if Mercedes has truly made strides with their low speed handling and grip, it could just as easily go Lewis's way. Not to mention if RBR does start from the back of the grid, the front 4 will quickly build a huge gap, and strategies will play a big part.
Those consecutive 90 degree corners in sector 3 are just not Hamilton's forte. Late braking doesn't make you faster there, it's all about carrying momentum. It's going to be a paper thin margin this year. Ferrari is now faster in sector's 1 & 2 than last year and can match last year's sector 3. Mercedes will be slightly slower in sector 1, and faster in sector 2 & 3 compared to last year, but will it be enough?
The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. Mr.Lee

siskue2005
145
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by siskue2005 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm

dans79 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:39 pm
siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
I beg to differ!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDH4rBksMyQ
again not coz of MASSIVE TOW like people are mentioning here ......it is coz in 2014 to 2016 Lewis had poor starts everywhere....how many races have he lost his P1 or his positions at the start?

siskue2005
145
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by siskue2005 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm

Juzh wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:27 pm
siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm
I think Ferrari will be difficult to beat unless the best they qualify is the 2nd row. Massive tow from the start...
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
:lol: :lol: #-o
Vettel had good start just not the perfect one bottas had. Not to mention ferrari had much more drag and also less deployment at that time. It was pretty much guaranteed bottas was gonna jump at least one of the ferrari at the start.
so did Bottas jump the ferrari because of the MASSIVE TOW or other factors??

siskue2005
145
User avatar
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by siskue2005 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:09 pm

godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:36 pm
dans79 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:02 pm
godlameroso wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:54 pm
Never mind, no rain now ? Nice weather really? Oh well Vettel needs to win a few.
I wouldn't git it to him yet, if Mercedes has truly made strides with their low speed handling and grip, it could just as easily go Lewis's way. Not to mention if RBR does start from the back of the grid, the front 4 will quickly build a huge gap, and strategies will play a big part.
Those consecutive 90 degree corners in sector 3 are just not Hamilton's forte. Late braking doesn't make you faster there, it's all about carrying momentum. It's going to be a paper thin margin this year. Ferrari is now faster in sector's 1 & 2 than last year and can match last year's sector 3. Mercedes will be slightly slower in sector 1, and faster in sector 2 & 3 compared to last year, but will it be enough?
Those consecutive 90 degree corners in Singapore in s3 was were Lewis and merc were faster.
So most probably they will be good there

iotar__
5
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:31 am

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by iotar__ » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm
I think Ferrari will be difficult to beat unless the best they qualify is the 2nd row. Massive tow from the start...
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
Yes. Another race and massive tow theories come back, I blame Spa [-o< .
Roxi wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm
Personally looking for a Ferrari front row lockout to challenge the Mercedes Cars. I want to watch something interesting here in Russia!

Also curious to see what Red Bull can do here as well.
Red Bull will whinge about the engine, what else? HS will help them probably.
50/50 between Merc and Ferrari and borefest in the race.

GrandAxe
19
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:06 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by GrandAxe » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:35 pm

This is a traditional Merc track, so it will likely be:

1. Bottas
2. Lewis
3. Vettel
4. Kimi

In such such a lineup, the Mercs will play their usual boxing tactics through the first turns to hold position with potential for a crash between Vettel and Lewis.

Roxi
0
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by Roxi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:36 pm

iotar__ wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:14 pm
siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:34 pm
Phil wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:43 pm
I think Ferrari will be difficult to beat unless the best they qualify is the 2nd row. Massive tow from the start...
that only happened in 2017, and partially had to do with poor starts from Ferraris
There was no massive tow in the previous years of this grand prix.....
Yes. Another race and massive tow theories come back, I blame Spa [-o< .
Roxi wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:13 pm
Personally looking for a Ferrari front row lockout to challenge the Mercedes Cars. I want to watch something interesting here in Russia!

Also curious to see what Red Bull can do here as well.
Red Bull will whinge about the engine, what else? HS will help them probably.
50/50 between Merc and Ferrari and borefest in the race.
Been really tired of that case, and watching Hamilton win a lot. Want the tides to switch to make an interesting final races. As much as I hate watching Ham win, he is a fantastic driver, and I am curious to see what he brings this weekend. Hoping the RB cars don't have too many issues, I know Max had the force neutral issue in Singapore.

dans79
193
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by dans79 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 pm

siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm
again not coz of MASSIVE TOW like people are mentioning here ......it is coz in 2014 to 2016 Lewis had poor starts everywhere....how many races have he lost his P1 or his positions at the start?
I suggest you actually watch the video instead of making flippant claims.

Lewis had a good start but Nico got a good tow off of him. It's obvious from the overhead replay despite Brundle's ramblings.

Roxi
0
User avatar
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:15 pm
Location: Delaware

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by Roxi » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:04 pm

dans79 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:51 pm
siskue2005 wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:52 pm
again not coz of MASSIVE TOW like people are mentioning here ......it is coz in 2014 to 2016 Lewis had poor starts everywhere....how many races have he lost his P1 or his positions at the start?
I suggest you actually watch the video instead of making flippant claims.

Lewis had a good start but Nico got a good tow off of him. It's obvious from the overhead replay despite Brundle's ramblings.
If you mind me asking, how come this track has more 'tow' forsay, than other tracks? Or do other tracks have it, just not as much as Sochi. What makes it different? I haven't heard this term used before, so I am just asking. I didn't know.

Phil
392
User avatar
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: 2018 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 28 - 30 September

Post by Phil » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:21 pm

A very, very long straight from the point on where they start and drag squares with speed?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter