2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2018 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 19-21 October

Phil wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:09
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:04
Ferraris very close to Hamilton’s time. What now? No second sensor? :lol:

Congratulations to Lewis on his lap.
IMO - prior second sensor, Ferrari was ahead of Mercedes. With, neck at neck. But Ferrari had tire problems last few races that made them fall back further. Seems they have things sorted out again.

Also bravo to Ferrari for putting Kimi on ultras in Q2. Being aggressive. Gonna make for an interesting race, as i think P2 is a good position to start, especially with the softer tire.

Bottas will be the key tomorrow if Hamilton seals the championship or not. If he cant keep Vettel at bay or not.
Second sensor was connected in Monaco. The sensor had no effect on Ferraris performance. They had nothing to hide.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43
zibby43

Does anyone think it's possible that Merc leaned toward optimizing Bottas' car for the race, given the circumstances?

GrandAxe
GrandAxe

zibby43 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 01:46
Does anyone think it's possible that Merc leaned toward optimizing Bottas' car for the race, given the circumstances?
Merc certainly did a tremendous amount of work to Bottas floor very late in FP3 - none was done on Lewis car. A late strategy call?

zibby43
zibby43

GrandAxe wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 02:19
zibby43 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 01:46
Merc certainly did a tremendous amount of work to Bottas floor very late in FP3 - none was done on Lewis car. A late strategy call?
Great observation. Very interesting.

Regarding the strategy, if I was Merc, that is 100% the call I would make (i.e., making Bottas as fast as possible in race trim, even if it sacrifices some qualifying performance).

Schuttelberg

Great quali!!

Lewis again out qualifying the Ferrari's in a slower car.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

dans79

Having just seen Lewis pole lap It almost seems as if he couldn't get enough heat into the tires. I'm wondering if his car was set up more for tomorrows weather when the trap temp should be higher.
197 104 103 7

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

GPR-A

So, it appears as if Ferrari's problems were more specific to Hypersoft (and probably a bad setup in Japan). Past couple of races were on HS and they struggled and now that the tyres are other than HS, they are back to normal, Germany-Spa-Monza like form.

Ferrari are faster on Speed Trap, at finish line and quicker in S1. If not for two hair pin like turns (11 and 12), Ferrari would have looked faster through S2 also. As Mercedes seems to have gained over Ferrari on slower turns, Mercedes is faster through S2 (two slower turns) and S3, which again is full of slower turns.

Also notably, Mercedes is running high downforce rear wing, unlike the Spoon wing they used in previous GPs, which shows that, they need more downforce here than in Suzuka, which is similar circuit and that slows them down on straights.

If not for the unfortunate penalty for Vettel, this race would have been a lot more entertaining.
Last edited by GPR-A on 21 Oct 2018, 06:50, edited 1 time in total.

TAG

GPR -A wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 06:42
Ferrari are faster on Speed Trap, at finish line and quicker in S1. If not for two hair pin like turns (11 and 12), Ferrari would have looked faster through S2 also. As Mercedes seems to have gained over Ferrari on slower turns, Mercedes is faster through S2 (two slower turns) and S3, which again is full of slower turns.

Also notably, Mercedes is running high downforce rear wing, unlike the Spoon wing they used in previous GPs, which shows that, they need more downforce here than in Suzuka, which is similar circuit and that slows them down on straights.
The look on Toto's face said it all, they were not expecting pole today.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zibby43
zibby43

GPR -A wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 06:42
Question: Didn't Ferrari use their version of the "spoon" RW in Japan as well? I think COTA requires a pretty high downforce setup.

NathanOlder

dans79 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:03
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:02
Lewis starting next to Kimi who starts on softer tyres
But kimi hasn't gained a position at the start all season has he?
Very true, Although Kimi said to Brundle after Qualy "I have nothing to lose" . I don't think I've heard Kimi say that before, so possibly Kimi will go full out as he knows Lewis can't get involved in an accident.

But it's just not Kimi's way.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

simieski
simieski

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:52
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:35
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:04
Ferraris very close to Hamilton’s time. What now? No second sensor? :lol:

Congratulations to Lewis on his lap.
Well if it’s not a second sensor then Ferrari have massively dropped the ball. Not sure why a Ferrari fan would find that funny. But Hey, ho.

Hamilton did a Hamilton looking at the average times between Ferrari and Mercedes.
The ball being dropped were the new updates which just had not worked and made both drivers struggle massively. They brought a big update to Austin and it seemed to have helped.

What I find funny is how all that drama about that mysterious second sensor was made.
Didn’t they take the updates off ? (Floor at least) as they couldn’t verify its performance Friday and didn’t want to risk it Saturday.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 08:21
dans79 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:03
NathanOlder wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:02
Lewis starting next to Kimi who starts on softer tyres
But kimi hasn't gained a position at the start all season has he?
Very true, Although Kimi said to Brundle after Qualy "I have nothing to lose" . I don't think I've heard Kimi say that before, so possibly Kimi will go full out as he knows Lewis can't get involved in an accident.

But it's just not Kimi's way.
Also remember that Mercedes and Hamilton have previously accused Raikkonen of racing dirty. That I imagine stung Kimi rather badly so he won’t want that to happen again.

Juzh

simieski wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 09:27
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:52
Restomaniac wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:35
Well if it’s not a second sensor then Ferrari have massively dropped the ball. Not sure why a Ferrari fan would find that funny. But Hey, ho.

Hamilton did a Hamilton looking at the average times between Ferrari and Mercedes.
The ball being dropped were the new updates which just had not worked and made both drivers struggle massively. They brought a big update to Austin and it seemed to have helped.

What I find funny is how all that drama about that mysterious second sensor was made.
Didn’t they take the updates off ? (Floor at least) as they couldn’t verify its performance Friday and didn’t want to risk it Saturday.
They took all the updates off. Even the ones they brought after monza. So they're essentially running a spa/monza spec car with some more aero added as this is a high DF track. This has to be biggest development flop ferrari has ever done, rivalling even 2011/2013 when alonso also said the car was worse in the second half of the season than in the first half.

Juzh

ringo wrote:
21 Oct 2018, 00:07
Ferrari the stronger car here given the gaps to teammates.
I believe Vettel could have beat Kimi by more.
Everytime hamilton beats ferrari it's all him, never the car. Whenever ferrari beats mercedes it's all the car, never the drivers. #-o Vettel did a purple and 2 green sectors, him and kimi were neck and neck entire weekend, this was all there was in the car. Convinently you forgot mercedes held a vast advantage over ferrari in the recent races.

Bottas is simply bad and slow and has been for ages.