2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

Max proves yet again while he will never be a champion!
197 104 103 7

DutchDopey

jz11 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:30
FrukostScones wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:23
DRS rules need to be changed.
They should only allow racing order DRS moves.
Always thougt how stupid it was that the algorithm can't distinguish. Just causes DRS trains... with backmarkers and leads to silly stuff like that today.
it all becomes complicated very quickly when more than 1 back marker is involved, and quite often they are drivers racing for points

and there is a very easy fix to this - don't let you ego drive the car, use your head, the correct one, that incident didn't happen in couple turns, he should have seen in mirrors what is going on, and he has the team behind his back to warn him, I figure it was 70/30 Max/Ocon fault, Ocon got his punishment and so did Max, the sad part is, he doesn't seem to learn from his mistakes, it was just a lucky brake for him these past few races without a contact
This is exactly what I mean. I can understand that people have a problem with how Max expresses himself, especially after some stupid mistakes he made. But you aren’t objective anymore and that invalidates your opinion about the incident.

turbof1

Let's stay rational, people. Max clearly has the talent to become a WDC if given a WDC winning car (which is always the number 1 requirement). The accident that happened is very rare as unlapping happens almost never, let alone it causing an accident.

Honestly, the way that red bull goes about with its tyres is fascinating. If Red Bull had that tyre advantage all year long, maybe coupled with a better reliability, Verstappen would have been in contest for the title.
#AeroFrodo

Shrieker

dans79 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:37
Come on now. He has bagloads of talent. But his ego is bigger than Senna when he was a 3 time WDC. He hasn't won them yet tho. He certainly comes across as a naturally vain person, but I think there's a bigger problem underneath in the shape of Horner, Marko and his dad. Just look at Horner's comment about the shoving 'incident'. They're pampering him, and as a consequence he simply thinks he is the king of the world 10x WDC, everyone should get out of his way etc. etc. I thought Hamilton was suffering from the same a bit especially in his earlier years, but god does that pale in comparison to max.
Last edited by Shrieker on 11 Nov 2018, 22:45, edited 2 times in total.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

FrukostScones

this thread is riddled with delusion from the beginning, this is just the final chapter... OMG.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

GrandAxe

Max thinks he is the next big thing in F1, but Leclerc has far more pluses. Gasly, Max team mate for 2019 has also consistently shown sparks of brilliance and will be no pushover.

The worst thing for Max is that he is so foolish that in such a short career, he has made so many mortal enemies up and down the driver ranks.

This will hamper him badly in any WDC campaign where other drivers might maliciously sabotage his race - think Alonso's skilful car positioning that just seems to punish Vettel more times than mere chance would allow as an example. There is no shortage sabotage candidates either; Occon (who says its a long standing thing already), Kimi, Bottas, Vettel ...

I'm going to make a bold bet that Max will either never win a WDC, or might just manage to to get one more by luck than by effort (e.g. Kimi 2007).

wesley123

astracrazy wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 21:53
Max: You can say i should give him room after but its not like that we are racing
Sky: Lewis said when your leading a race you dont take those risks
Max: Easy to say from his side when your 2nd
Sky: Do you not have any regrets?
Max: No nothing

Awful attitude. Fail to learn. Fail to take advice.

His a driver i just dont think i will ever have any respect for
It's pretty stupid to say that considering how the one in second is a five times world champion. I think he knows what he's talking about.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

turbof1

Shrieker wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:42
dans79 wrote:
Come on now. He has bagloads of talent. But his ego is bigger than Senna when he was a 3 time WDC. He hasn't won them yet tho. He certainly comes across as a naturally vain person, but I think there's a bigger problem underneath in the shape of Horner, Marko and his dad. Just look at Horner's comment about the shoving 'incident'. They're pampering him, and he simply thinks he is the king of the world 10x WDC, everyone should get out of his way etc. etc. I thought Hamilton was suffering from the same a bit especially in his earlier years, but god does that pale in comparison to max.
The team should have seen this coming and do their best to keep Ocon and Verstappen separated. It's not helping they are reinforcing this behaviour.
#AeroFrodo

Hammerfist

Shrieker wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:42
dans79 wrote:
Come on now. He has bagloads of talent. But his ego is bigger than Senna when he was a 3 time WDC. He hasn't won them yet tho. He certainly comes across as a naturally vain person, but I think there's a bigger problem underneath in the shape of Horner, Marko and his dad. Just look at Horner's comment about the shoving 'incident'. They're pampering him, and as a consequence he simply thinks he is the king of the world 10x WDC, everyone should get out of his way etc. etc. I thought Hamilton was suffering from the same a bit especially in his earlier years, but god does that pale in comparison to max.
Agree 100%, his dad especially is not a good influence for him. Horner is not helping as he is always pampering him even when Max has done everything wrong. There needs to be more teaching. Hamilton was trying to give him advice in the green room,that is what Redbull and his dad should be doing. He has a LOT of talent, but it could be wasted if he never learns. It's not the first time he fails to leave space when being attacked by another car. It happens ALL THE TIME, it was only a matter of time until it cost him a win. Kid needs to learn.

wesley123

DutchDopey wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:00
Really weird that some people are letting their already made up opinion of Max so clutter their judgement. Max never expected that Ocon would continue to attack.
Really? Ocon was next to him for the whole of T1, how could he ever not have considered he would be there?
There was no reason at all for Ocon to do that other than just hinder Max and distort the race
Ocon is allowed to unlap himself. You can complain all you want about it, but it doesn't make Max' action into T2 any more stupid.
And with all the adrenaline and enormous consequences cut him some slack for his response.
I would have agreed with you if it was his rookie season, but this apparently is his fourth rookie season. The guy doesn't learn from his mistakes, and apparently takes Senna's words on how to act on track a bit too literal.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

dans79

turbof1 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:41
Let's stay rational, people. Max clearly has the talent to become a WDC if given a WDC winning car (which is always the number 1 requirement). The accident that happened is very rare as unlapping happens almost never, let alone it causing an accident.

Honestly, the way that red bull goes about with its tyres is fascinating. If Red Bull had that tyre advantage all year long, maybe coupled with a better reliability, Verstappen would have been in contest for the title.
Talent and a good car is not enough to win a tittle when you have strong competition, Vettel and Ferrari are perfect examples of this.

As far as I'm concerned the only way max will ever be champion, is if he has something like a 2014/15 Merc under him, and a complete looser of a teammate.
197 104 103 7

iotar__

Another motorsport dweeb is trying to act cool and parrot fake tough guy behaviour #-o .

RB people are responding as if Ocon brake tested or drove into the side full speed. Without Verstappen's usual bubble god mode reaction no unplapping attempt could have prevented their win. Chew on that.

Laserguru

And yet another unprecedented incident with Ocon involved. If he doesn’t crash into his teammate he crashes out the raceleader. No wonder he is no longer allowed to race his teammate, also makes clear why no other team considers giving Ocon a seat next season. He is fast and consistent but a too dirty driver who needs to bring such an awful lot of money to overcome this that even Mercedes cannot convince their customer teams to hire him, and sponsors do not want to back him. Kmag at least drives with balls, even he would never make such a foolish attempt, where Ocon is too often driving in fury. Like Hamilton said you have to know who you are racing against, Ocon cannot think clear in a fight and has demonstrated many times now he may decide to crash into you when he is in a situation he can no longer be victorious. Even Bottas lifted when racing with Riccardo in a similar position in the same corner, and they were racing for a position. Ocon should get a raceban instead of 10 second penalty plus drivetrough. He will not learn anything, similar to the continuing crashes with Perez. Imagine all those young boys and girls watching and learning you can simply take out your team mate, or the race leader when being lapped, just because you cannot bare losing. Wonder if Ocon receives his bonus from Mercedes after crashing into Max and Mercedes winning the constructors championship, he is on their payroll after all. They shouldn’t. They should fire him.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

LM10

dans79 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:55
turbof1 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:41

Talent and a good car is not enough to win a tittle when you have strong competition, Vettel and Ferrari are perfect examples of this.

As far as I'm concerned the only way max will ever be champion, is if he has something like a 2014/15 Merc under him, and a complete looser of a teammate.
Max will have Gasly as a teammate next year and it's gonna be exciting to see how it will pan out. Obviously Gasly is not on the level of Ricciardo and I think Verstappen will not really have a hard time beating him.
But the question marks are firstly how competitive his RedBull with Honda engine is gonna be and secondly how more mature in comparison to this season he will be. I'm not sure about the second part.
Last edited by LM10 on 11 Nov 2018, 23:23, edited 1 time in total.

Wynters

DutchDopey wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 22:23
Max never thought Ocon would continue to attack... There was no reason for that whatsoever, so he just did not expect it and went for his raceline.
Then that's a failing of Max, not Ocon. Ocon was on fresh tyres, was much faster than Max (at that point in the race) and is involved in his own battles with the rest of the midfield so needed to make the most of that fresh rubber. Max needs to remember that just because most of the drivers aren't driving for Mercedes, Ferrari and Red Bull doesn't mean they aren't racing.

I also blame Max's engineer. He should have warned Max just how quickly Ocon was closing, then he and Max could've made a decision to either increase their speed or, alternatively, let him past and get a DRS + Tow to make up any time lost.

The important thing from this is not the race win (which is effectively irrelevant) but whether Max will learn from this. If he doesn't then, one day when he is racing for a championship, this will happen again and it will matter. Note that, over the last couple of years, one driver in particular has known when to push and, perhaps most importantly, when to yield. Not coincidentally, that driver has won a lot of races and a lot of WDC. He gave some advice to Max today and Max ignored it