2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2018 Brazilian Grand Prix - Interlagos, 9-11 November

ispano6 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 18:43
Bias toward who? The driver ahead in the apex, yes. I believe the FIA have this bias as well, but it's called a regulation.
last time I checked this was still part of the rule book, and Max royally violated it.
Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the
edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

Conspiracy nutters forget that correlation does not imply causation.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

TAG

DutchDopey wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 18:59
I feel like Fox Mulder against all, the truth is out there ...

(Joking aside and again, I don't believe the conspiracy but I do find it very funny how there are some coincidences which can fuel the conspiracy for others to believe).
Like the conspiracy of Ricciardo's car always seeming to break down? :mrgreen:
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

NL_Fer

First of all i am a fan of Max (as i was of his dad, Jos). So it is clear which camp i am in, but what i see:

1. Hamilton was right, he has learned by his own mistakes in the past. The race leader has more to loose if he makes contact, so it would be wise to avoid it, if possible. Verstappen has right on the racing line, but he took the corner pretty tight, while Ocon was almost off track. Ocon was at fault, but defending with a high risk of contact, comes with a chance of landing besides he track. I think it is honest and fair advice of Hamilton.

2. I understand Verstappen wanted to defend. Even if Ocon was allowed to pass, the Force India was not going to keep it’s faster pace for long. Verstappen would be closing in within 1-2 laps and increase his tire wear. He was managing them against Hamilton on primes. But in hindsight, some tire wear would be less of a problem vs spinning offtrack.

3. journalists should investigate if any talk has been about this situation before the incident, between Mercedes and Force India or Ocon. Remember Monaco, where Ocon already has shown his loyalty for Mercedes. Maybe again he was proving his loyalty, effort for a (Williams) racing seat in ‘19. He probably wasn’t planning to take Max out or crash him, but overtaking, staying in front for a few laps would slow Verstappen down, irritate him enough. Mercedes got a big bonus for becoming WCC.

DutchDopey

TAG wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:17
DutchDopey wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 18:59
I feel like Fox Mulder against all, the truth is out there ...

(Joking aside and again, I don't believe the conspiracy but I do find it very funny how there are some coincidences which can fuel the conspiracy for others to believe).
Like the conspiracy of Ricciardo's car always seeming to break down? :mrgreen:
I heard from a guy in a raincoat in an underground garage that was totally orchestrated....

Just_a_fan

NL_Fer wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:18
Mercedes got a big bonus for becoming WCC.
Mercedes would have won the WCC even if Max had won and Lewis was second...
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

GPR-A

NL_Fer wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 19:18
Verstappen has right on the racing line, but he took the corner pretty tight, while Ocon was almost off track. Ocon was at fault,
At what point in time was Ocon off the track? Max need to learn how to fight when stakes are high and handling these entirely avoidable mistakes. Even before the turn 1, Max could see Ocon ahead of him and chose to do a stupid defensive move. If Ocon doesn't go for a gap that is so widely available, he better sit at home.

Look at the smart way of driving here. Mexican GP first lap. Look who is ahead before the Turn 1 and you know what happened after.

NL_Fer

I already said Verstappen was not the wise one yesterday, what more are you trying to prove with your photocollage?

Sieper

An opening lap fight for position versus a backmarker with a grudge.

Max will never let this happen again. Per Lewis his advise.

zeph

Honestly, can anybody watch Ocon's onboard and tell me what he does wrong? I've been watching it over and over again and it all looks clean and above the board to me. Yesterday I thought they were both to blame, but I just can't see what Ocon did wrong here:
https://streamable.com/0bynn

sosic2121

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 18:30
TwanV wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 14:34

Couldn't resist but he isn't there yet: He thanked his Brazilian supporters in Spanish today. =D>
That hardly qualifies as a bar on being a complete driver.
Why would speak spanish to Brazilian supporters? :mrgreen:

zibby43

Sierra117 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 08:36
zibby43 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 07:56
Sierra117 wrote:
11 Nov 2018, 23:34
@Edax: Mercs were running older and turned down engines, especially Bottas. Vettel had sensor issues and bad setup.
What specification of the PU did Merc run on their cars?

And what was your source for that info. (not questioning you, just found it interesting/useful information)?

Thanks!
From what I remember, Bottas was running an older Spec (2?) since the oil leak scare. But it was also significantly turned down. Hamilton I'm not sure if he was running an older engine or not, but definitely turned all the way down as well for most of the race, if not the full thing. Bottas mentioned his engine being an older spec in his paddock interview (with Rachel?).
Good stuff! Thanks, Sierra117.

Steven
Owner

zeph wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 20:17
Honestly, can anybody watch Ocon's onboard and tell me what he does wrong? I've been watching it over and over again and it all looks clean and above the board to me. Yesterday I thought they were both to blame, but I just can't see what Ocon did wrong here:
Actually it shows how lucky Verstappen was to be able to rejoin so quickly. He might as well have dropped to 4th.

But I agree, Ocon had nowhere to go. He had committed to the corner, and from that point of view, one wouldn't expect Verstappen to just turn in like he did. But he still did.

I also find it strange how F1 seems to protect race and championship contenders when it's about warnings. It took a pretty long time to come up with a penalty, so if there was any discussion, maybe they could have just let it pass as a racing incident as well.

DutchDopey

zeph wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 20:17
The stewards and Whiting say that he shouldn't have battled Max, so at the moment Ocon saw Max (at 3:02) he should have let it go. A bit like Bottas let Ricciardo go...

toraabe

This proves why Hamilton is 5 times champion. Is is a matter of collecting points whenever you can and not taking any unnecessary risks. Verstappen will never be with this attitude, and competitors will drive him off the track if this continues