2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Morteza

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

Vasconia

Re: 2018 United Arab Emirates Grand Prix - Yas Marina, Abu Dhabi, 23-26 November

GrandAxe wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 12:24
FP1 times are unrepresentative, but interesting. Kubitsa is dead last followed by Alonso. Max is totally on it with the Mercs a full second off and both Ferrari's doing their own thing in 7th and 8th.
It shows that RB continues to be super strong, they have found something to use the tyres better than anyone else.

Ferrari weaker than usual, I hope they don´t have problems.

Kubica last, I think we shouldn´t worry about that because he has been better on previous FP1s.

Sad farewell for Alonso, I hope Mclaren will improve A LOT next season.

GrandAxe

Vasconia wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 12:47
GrandAxe wrote:
FP1 times are unrepresentative, but interesting. Kubitsa is dead last followed by Alonso. Max is totally on it with the Mercs a full second off and both Ferrari's doing their own thing in 7th and 8th.
It shows that RB continues to be super strong, they have found something to use the tyres better than anyone else.

Kubica last, I think we shouldn´t worry about that because he has been better on previous FP1s.

Ferrari were testing 2019 bits and never ran the hypers, I don't think they have problems.

As for Red Bull, its quite a surprise that they are so much faster than the rest of the field; they've definitely found something with the tyres that should put them in good nick for when temperatures are even cooler - from FP2 to the race proper. Its a pity for them that these tyres are being run for the last time this weekend, with a complete reset for 2019.

matt_b

GrandAxe wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 13:10
Vasconia wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 12:47
GrandAxe wrote:

Ferrari were testing 2019 bits and never ran the hypers, I don't think they have problems.

As for Red Bull, its quite a surprise that they are so much faster than the rest of the field; they've definitely found something with the tyres that should put them in good nick for when temperatures are even cooler - from FP2 to the race proper. Its a pity for them that these tyres are being run for the last time this weekend, with a complete reset for 2019.
Ferrari ran hypers during their first runs. Only Red Bull out the big 3 ran them during both.

Juzh

ferrari a boat trough S3 as per usual.

tpeman

Mega lap by GRO, just 0.5 behind the Ferraris.

djones

Is Hamilton mainly doing race setup, or does he seem to be running less wing than Bottas?

If so it could be a good indicator that they expect an engine change.

Juzh

That purple sector 3 by Ric was done almost entirely without battery assist. Renault completely empty already at the middle of second back straight. They recover tiny bit under braking but that's all.

saviour stivala

Juzh wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 15:57
That purple sector 3 by Ric was done almost entirely without battery assist. Renault completely empty already at the middle of second back straight. They recover tiny bit under braking but that's all.
I do not know if sector 3 was done without battery assist or not but if that was the case he would still have electric assist.

oT v1

Hmm, apparently Merc are contemplating (Benson/BBC) an engine on its 7th weekend or a brand new one, if the Brazil unit shows signs of blowing.

What’s the penalty on JUST an ICE? Surely it would be better to just take the hit and let him rip the race to shreds, saving tyres appropriately from now on.
The Power of Dreams

astracrazy

I think it would be really cool of them to do that. Just replace the whole unit and let him tear it up. Show how quick the car is. Finish off with a bit of fun.

The trouble is, it would also show how much the rules and restrictions hold these cars back.

Phil

Even a new engines doesnt change the fact that Abu Dhabi is incredibly difficult to overtake. And once you look past the engine, you’ll realize that the tires will be extremely sensitive this weekend. So better to start on the old spec3 engine...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Webber2011

Phil wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 23:27
Even a new engines doesnt change the fact that Abu Dhabi is incredibly difficult to overtake. And once you look past the engine, you’ll realize that the tires will be extremely sensitive this weekend. So better to start on the old spec3 engine...
I dunno, I reckon with a new engine he could power past on the straight and have no worries getting back close to the front before the first stop.

ringo

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 12:34
Morteza wrote:
23 Nov 2018, 11:21
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsrPe9vXgAIrUKG.jpg
Mercedes confirmed that “Lewis has requested and been given permission to run number 1 on the nose at this final race of the season because he’s World Champion.”
Wow, that seems so "old fashioned" already, doesn't it, since we've had dedicated driver numbers. It would be good to see the no.1 on the title holder's car for the whole season. I wonder if it'll prove to be a jinx, however.

Interestingly, last race Hamilton used a similar phrase to Vettel's "let's enjoy these good times" to RedBull when he (Vettel) won his 4th title. Putting the no. 1 on his car for this race is a similar sentiment. I wonder if Hamilton/Mercedes think they're coming to the end of their successful period.
I agree and to look on it further, i think it is a gesture more for the team than for the driver. It shows more that the car built by the team is #1. Having the driver's number there more reflects on his accomplishments. #1 on the car pays dividends to the people that built it.
For Sure!!