2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

Funny, I'm going to predict the Ferraris ahead of everyone, with then perhaps Mercedes from the 2nd row on, but split by a RedBull. Then again, Melbourne being a street track, it could be well that Mercedes surprise me. I don't think Melbourne is a very good reference anyway, but I somehow smell a bit of trouble for Mercedes and I think Ferrari will simply ace the tires and be off to a very good start. I predict Vettel to just snatch pole ahead of Leclerc, but I don't think he will be far behind. Just a hunch though.

Oh, and I think Hulkenberg will surprise and outqualify Ricciardo.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

cooken

Mercs S3 pace if representative could help them at this circuit.

Really, it shouldn't be a surprise at all if either Merc or Ferrari take pole. The surprise would be if one team really jumps out ahead in a big way. It shouldn't be surprising to see RB do well here either.

foxmulder_ms

Can 1.19.xx happen for pole? I think cars are faster based on the testing.

Just_a_fan

turbof1 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:33
Just_a_fan wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 18:04
turbof1 wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 16:25
Can we please get a much more amicable season this year? Without infighting and without competing for the "he's such a team X hater!" amount of comments cup? Nobody cares if you are a Ferrari, Mercedes, Sauber, McLaren,... fan. Show sportmanship.
Can't we have a point given out in each race thread for the best put down? At the end of the season, the winner of most points gets to be a mod for a month, just to see what it's like from the other side. :lol:
No because I perceive any other moderator as a threat to my own position and will do grievous things to hold on to it :twisted: .

(I do like the thought however)
:lol: :lol: =D> =D>
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Chuckjr

One question I'm wondering about is tire graining and if any teams will struggle with it considering the big aero changes this year. I think it may catch a team or two out.
Watching F1 since 1986.

GPR-A

While a week might still be too early for a weather prediction, but it seems like a warm sunny weather predicted for both qualifying and race with temperatures around 30 degrees, leading to higher track temperatures. Which would be double than what it was in testing. So cold graining that teams suffered during testing, shouldn't be a problem in Albert Park.

While there was no way to understand which team heated the tires more in testing and operated at the higher side of tires' working range, those cars would potentially cook the tires in these ambient temperatures.

Juzh

GPR -A wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 17:53
Pole time prediction - between 1m20.5xx to 1m20.8xx. Other than top 2 teams, most cars are likely register slower times than last year!
I'll go a bit more conservatively and initially say pole lap around the same laptime as last year ~1:21. I think absolute pace the cars can do was more representative this year in testing than in previous years because of much better track conditions and from the fact teams had to push it a bit more to test out new FW/RW designs and so on.

If the conditions are good FP1 and FP2 will already give us a clearer picture.

GPR -A wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 05:06
While there was no way to understand which team heated the tires more in testing and operated at the higher side of tires' working range, those cars would potentially cook the tires in these ambient temperatures.
If pirelli is to be believed they mitigated overheating risk by increasing operating ranges, so in theory there should be neither graining nor overheating/blistering.

Mr.G

What about some/new simple rules for predictions of the pecking order in this forum? It is just a thought...

- Qualifying order predictions shouldn't start sooner than end of FP2, with one available correction after FP3
- GP finish order predictions shouldn't start sooner than end of Q3
- There should be some comments for first three positions why you expect that happen (like - "based on the S3 performance", ...)

This way we'll be at least be little bit forced to use analysis of some given data (FP, Q, tyres choices, weather) instead of gut feelings, wishes and dreams...

Of course it's up to the mods/admins... Maybe some pool about that would be handy?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

MtthsMlw

Weather forecast:
Friday: partly cloudly with a high chance of very light rain
Saturday: partly cloudy
Sunday: sunny and up to 28°C

selvam_e2002

To make F1 more interesting and to have more overtaking bring back fuel refill again. Now a days, it is very easy to predict the race with few laps.

GPR-A

Juzh wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 10:54
GPR -A wrote:
08 Mar 2019, 17:53
Pole time prediction - between 1m20.5xx to 1m20.8xx. Other than top 2 teams, most cars are likely register slower times than last year!
I'll go a bit more conservatively and initially say pole lap around the same laptime as last year ~1:21. I think absolute pace the cars can do was more representative this year in testing than in previous years because of much better track conditions and from the fact teams had to push it a bit more to test out new FW/RW designs and so on.

If the conditions are good FP1 and FP2 will already give us a clearer picture.
The one factor which I think would provide a bit of impetus to the slower cars, is the improvements to PU in last 12 months. While the regulations would have slowed them down and teams might have claimed the down force levels back, the new large rear wing is going to be adding significant drag, which the improved PU across the manufacturers would be just enough to balance that offset. Hence I felt there could be slight improvement to last year's time. But I wouldn't be surprised if it is not.

Capharol

selvam_e2002 wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 14:31
To make F1 more interesting and to have more overtaking bring back fuel refill again. Now a days, it is very easy to predict the race with few laps.
NOOOOOO, Never Ever Again refueling

Mr.G

Capharol wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 16:18
selvam_e2002 wrote:
How this is Melbourne GP related?
Art without engineering is dreaming. Engineering without art is calculating. Steven K. Roberts

Capharol

Mr.G wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 17:41
Capharol wrote:
09 Mar 2019, 16:18
selvam_e2002 wrote:
How this is Melbourne GP related?
how is your question Melbourne related ? :wink:

hollus

Back on topic, please.
Thank you.
Rivals, not enemies.