2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Re: 2019 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 15-17

seventhsin wrote:
10 Mar 2019, 03:54
Are any members attending the GP? I'm heading over by myself from Adelaide and wouldn't mind catching up with people if so, shoot me a PM if you're up for a couple beers and a chat
I would love to take you up on your offer but unfortunately I am on the other side of the earth! I really miss the old days when Australia was the last race, not the first, and that great street circuit in Adelaide!

Have fun in Melbourne!

=D>

Vasconia

I predict a very strong RB based on the fact that it is a street circuit, so if Ferrari is head we could see a 3 team battle for the pole because with the longer wheelbase Ferrari looked less strong than in previous seasons, at least on Saturday.

So...

1. Ferrari
2. Mercedes +0/0,2(Hamilton could get the pole)
3. RB +0,3/0,4
4. Renault
5. Alfa Romeo
6. Haas/McLaren
7. Toro Rosso
8. Force India
9. Williams

f1316
f1316

Couple of stories today related to what’s being discussed:

RB fastracking their China update as they think they’re faster than Mercedes over a race distance (but slower than Ferrari): https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... a/4351175/

Hamilton thinks the midfield is closer this year: https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... 9/4351304/

The latter one I certainly hope is true and appeared to be from testing. It would add to intrigue in quali - denying top teams ability to qualify on the mid compound - and also the fastest lap point without a massive gap behind 6th into which someone could drop post last lap pit stop. [Absolutely love that they brought the fastest lap point back btw - talk about returning to ‘DNA’ of the sport!]

SiLo

Going to be super interesting to see where Mercedes and Red Bull are. I'll be amazed if Ferrari are not at the front considering all the reports and performances from testing.
Felipe Baby!

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

It will be very close between Ferrari and Mercedes in qualification and race. Hass,AlphaRomeo,RedBull/Tororosso in different league. Then Meclaren, Renault other will come later.

But I still doubt RedBull and Toro Rosso in 3rd or 4th in race nor quali. Because we could not see any speed in pre testing and not sure about how much Honda improved his engine.

Will come to know by this weekend.

djones
djones

I'm actually most looking forward to seeing if Leclerc beats Vettel.

The disruption this would cause in the team would be their downfall this year. Sure they have said Vettel is number 1, but if we get 5 races in or something and Leclerc has more points then how can they possible stick to that strategy.

Ferrari are their own worst enemy this season IMO.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

djones wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 14:55
I'm actually most looking forward to seeing if Leclerc beats Vettel.

The disruption this would cause in the team would be their downfall this year. Sure they have said Vettel is number 1, but if we get 5 races in or something and Leclerc has more points then how can they possible stick to that strategy.

Ferrari are their own worst enemy this season IMO.
Indeed!

GPR-A

Themes for the start of the season!

1. No clear data to prove this, but Leclerc is a genuine threat to Vettel and might even beat him.
2. No clear data to prove this, but Honda is going to enable Red Bull to become championship contender.
3. No clear data to prove this, but Mercedes is struggling and might even be behind Red Bull Honda.

Things have never been that blindly exciting. :)

Marc.W

Ferrari are their own worst enemy every season tbh, that's why they haven't beaten Mercedes in the past 2 years when they've had the car to do so.

Mattchu

From the article about Red Bull bringing forward the China update.

Helmut Marko: “[It was only possible] because in every phase every employee was convinced: Now we are back on track. Now we have another chance to drive for victories on our own."

But you`re not...you are in partnership with Honda and credit should be given to them if you achieve decent results!

Does anyone know if any more sections of Albert Park have been resurfaced, I`m sure I recall a few areas being done for last year and the commentators saying some more would be done [not so sure about].

It`s a shame that it is very difficult to overtake here, we may have some faster race pace cars being behind others who qualified higher.

santos
santos

I think this could be one of the most exciting championships in hybrid era. Even if Ferrari is supposedly ahead, the margin seems to be small. I just hope that till the end, anyone can't be sure of who's going to win a race or take the pole.

GPR-A

One thing that Ferrari hasn't proved yet, in the hybrid era, is the ability to bring working upgrades in season. Last year, their upgrades slowed down the car and they had to remove it. While Red Bull and Mercedes have demonstrated great ability in bringing upgrades and fixing the in season problems. If Ferrari doesn't improve on this aspect, they might face another year of going backwards in season. If they also follow the "assembly line" development model like Mercedes is known to be following, then it must be said, their new car design team does an excellent job and the team that takes over to develop the car in season, is probably not on par.
Last edited by GPR-A on 12 Mar 2019, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.

rogazilla
rogazilla

Mattchu wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:01
Helmut Marko: “[It was only possible] because in every phase every employee was convinced: Now we are back on track. Now we have another chance to drive for victories on our own."
I read that as in the car can drive to victories on its own merit. Not based on other's mishap or misfortune.

falonso81

Cant explain why Ferrari can turn up with a monster of a car for the season start and then fail almost every upgrade in season. Its mind boggling.
If they can sort this out this year they will wrap up both crowns. I remember last year in COTA where they reverted back to their older configuration they were on par with Merc, the latter already had a ton of upgrades. That alone showed what a strong car they had yet failed to improve it.

Mattchu

rogazilla wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:28
Mattchu wrote:
12 Mar 2019, 16:01
I read that as in the car can drive to victories on its own merit. Not based on other's mishap or misfortune.
Didn`t it do that in the final several races of last year [plus a few inbetween]...I here what you`re saying though :wink: