2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Schuttelberg

Re: 2019 Chinese Grand Prix - Shanghai, April 12-14

selvam_e2002 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:40
Capharol wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:29
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/vers ... ontent=www
Asked by Motorsport.com to explain what happened, Verstappen said: “We were too late anyway [to get across the line] and I already had three cars who overtook me. I was just getting my spot [in the queue].

“Pierre also got the hurry-up from his engineer so I think it’s quite normal.”..........

.......In the aftermath, an angry Verstappen had accused his fellow drivers of behaving like "wankers"
Verstappen in sweary rant at rivals over Q3 tacticsband breaking the “gentleman’s agreement” not to interfere with one another’s preparations at the end of a lap.

Speaking slightly later, he admitted was not sure himself how long was left but did not want to be the “asshole” overtaking someone.

Verstappen said he was only hurried up by his team “when they got past” and said that, plus the actions of his rivals, prompted the “mess”.
now sounding more the rant he gave to the others was more meant for himself and the team
Max always blames others instead of correcting his own mistakes. Need to learn lots of things in F1 to become a Champion else he will be like Vettel in one day(without any Championship.....(I hope Max fan will be disappointed reading this comment sorry but it is true)
I think you are disappointing. I don't think Verstappen/Vettel are seeking your approval. And in my experience, I have seen stubborn drivers become champions. In fact, mostly only the stubborn lot get there. Get your act together and stop trying to instigate fans and shedding yourself in poor light.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

Capharol

GPR -A wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:05
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:44
GrandAxe wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:42
Ferrari is going to be murdered in Monaco, Singapore, Barcelona and Baku if they continue to perform badly on slow corners.
Which is the ultimate turnaround compared to previous years.
Who can forget all those experts who said, longer wheel base is detrimental for slow corner performance. Mercedes continues to prove so many "self professed experts" wrong. Mercedes is cornering better than Ferrari and Red Bull, once again proving that, Big Rake is not necessary for better cornering performance.
but you can't throw it all out of the window if you have had this concept over so many years already (and did well with it)

Restomaniac

Also this Ferrari super engine thing is a little confusing. If it was SO good then why is Alfa nowhere and why is Haas just sneaking Q3?

I think it’s down to Aero. Ferrari are running a very fast (in a straight line) package where as Mercedes are running slower but more stable. The ultimate question is can Mercedes strip it out on the fast tracks
Last edited by Restomaniac on 13 Apr 2019, 12:19, edited 1 time in total.

Restomaniac

GPR -A wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:44
GrandAxe wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 11:42
Ferrari is going to be murdered in Monaco, Singapore, Barcelona and Baku if they continue to perform badly on slow corners.
Which is the ultimate turnaround compared to previous years.
Who can forget all those experts who said, longer wheel base is detrimental for slow corner performance. Mercedes continues to prove so many "self professed experts" wrong. Mercedes is cornering better than Ferrari and Red Bull, once again proving that, Big Rake is not necessary for better cornering performance.
Just how many more times would you like me to hold my hands up over that? Geez!

MtthsMlw

Unc1eM0nty

GPR -A wrote:
Haha well put, for 2 or 3 seasons now that's been a hot topic in the pre season testing threads, many trying to tell the 5 time constructor champions what they're doing wrong.

Unc1eM0nty

Does anyone have the long run stats from P2 ?

Capharol

agian this shows speed ain't everything in F1 nowadays

falonso81

Capharol wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:49
The two williams drivers are eager to prove you wrong! :mrgreen:

f1jcw

I pasted this in the Ferrari thread, not sure if it is relevant here, as it deals with the track performance.
Apologies if wrong.

Interesting from Rosberg:

"I talked to the Ferrari guys and they said to me that they have positioned the car wrong regarding the aerodynamics. They are driving with less aero and they don't have an adequate package to put on the car to have more downforce."

Rosberg: "They are working on that. Ferrari will bring a new rear wing soon. But the problem is that the whole car is positioned in that area so it's not easy. Just changing the rear wing might make the car completely inefficient."

https://mobile.twitter.com/Vetteleclerc ... 6446476288

Restomaniac

f1jcw wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:05
I pasted this in the Ferrari thread, not sure if it is relevant here, as it deals with the track performance.
Apologies if wrong.

"I talked to the Ferrari guys and they said to me that they have positioned the car wrong regarding the aerodynamics. They are driving with less aero and they don't have an adequate package to put on the car to have more downforce."

Rosberg: "They are working on that. Ferrari will bring a new rear wing soon. But the problem is that the whole car is positioned in that area so it's not easy. Just changing the rear wing might make the car completely inefficient."

Which is what I had assumed higher up.

The thing is that if they start bolting downforce on then how much of their straight line advantage will they lose?

GPR-A

f1jcw wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:05
Apologies if wrong.

If that is indeed true AND if they don't fix it for Spain, they would be butchered in Barcelona.

Capharol

falonso81 wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:54
Capharol wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 12:49
The two williams drivers are eager to prove you wrong! :mrgreen:
well if this is sarcasm, i don't see it

because between Williams and the top of the grid is a difference like day and night, so no comparison material at all

iotar__

What else is new
- Haas is the most incompetent of all the teams :o
- Hamilton when someone is quicker = "problems with the car". Best cars are the most problematic.
- Ferrari need better drivers aka OMG quicker on the straights but what about the corners bizarro situation. Pace on Vettel's level does not mean you can compete with Merc. Of course those pointing out that Mercedes were (slightly) quicker here all weekend despite Ferrari hype were right.
- if there was a championship of press releases, media lies and interview laps RB would be winning it easily, in the real world - not so much.

GPR-A

Restomaniac wrote:
13 Apr 2019, 13:14
The thing is that if they start bolting downforce on then how much of their straight line advantage will they lose?
First off, Bahrain and China are actually, relatively low downforce circuits! China is so much more front limited and doesn't demand a whole lot from the rear.

If NIco's statement there is believable, then one would have to start thinking if they have the right front wing philosophy. The reason why I am wondering is, the car has to be balanced on front and rear downforce, which is probably the case for NOW. Trying to simply enhance the rear downforce and not having a balanced amount of front downforce, would make the car more understeery. As it is, the Ferrari cars of the past 2 years and this one, have an inherent understeer. They already have higher AoA on their front wing, compared to Mercedes and any more, would create more drag and mess up flow downstream.

I have a feeling that, they probably have overestimated the downforce level that can be extracted from their rear wing. May be because of that, the rest of the rear of the car probably is producing less downforce than Mercedes.

The problem is, Ferrari haven't shown great deal of in-season development in the past seasons and if this in fact is something, then you don't put a lot of money on them coming out flying for the rest of the season.