2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

digitalrurouni wrote:
20 May 2019, 20:34
I really dislike this track. I don't see the point of it.
I really like it, it's a classic grand prix since 1929 -- to discontinue it would be a real pity! :D

Better 10 Monaco GP than 1 Sochi GP! :wink:

djos

I'm predicting Verstappen for Pole and Win.

I'd like to back Ricciardo for both, but it's pretty obvious by now that the Renault lacks the ride/bump control to be competitive here - I do think he could drag the Renault into the top 6 in qualifying tho.
"In downforce we trust"

Sierra117

Man what heartbreaking news. Our beloved Niki Lauda has passed away from this world to the next 😢
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

f1jcw

djos wrote:
21 May 2019, 03:29

I'd like to back Ricciardo for both, but it's pretty obvious by now that the Renault lacks the ride/bump control to be competitive here - I do think he could drag the Renault into the top 6 in qualifying tho.
Sorry to say, absolutely no chance whatsoever. The only way that will happen if it is wet qualifying.

Just_a_fan

Max could get pole but only if there's a yellow flag at an opportune moment that messes other's laps. And even that probably wouldn't be enough.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

djos

f1jcw wrote:
21 May 2019, 09:41
djos wrote:

Sorry to say, absolutely no chance whatsoever. The only way that will happen if it is wet qualifying.
Which one, Verstappen on Pole or Ricciardo in the top 6?
"In downforce we trust"

f1jcw

djos wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:01
f1jcw wrote:
djos wrote:

Verstappen

djos

f1jcw wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:07
djos wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:01
f1jcw wrote:

Verstappen
Fair enough - personally I think he can grab pole as long as he doesnt put his car in the fence.
"In downforce we trust"

Phil

zibby43 wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:50
willmesquita wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:28
Anyone has the best Barcelona S3 sector times from last GP?
This is a list of the best S3 times from Barcelona with a linear regression to predict 2019 Monaco qualifying times:

https://i.redd.it/lc9c1t505ez21.png

Credit to /u/jcp2010 on Reddit F1. According 2017 and 2018 data, Barcelona S3 times account for about 71% of the variation in best Monaco qualifying times.
I'm just not convinced that the S3 "chicane" times are that relevant to Monaco. Yes, it's twisty and narrow and probably the best relevant indication we have on who might be strong and who won't be in Monaco, but -

1.)
They are not going to be racing on the same tire compounds. C3 (Barcelona) vs C5 (Monaco). Different compounds will yield very different results on what is a track that basically comes down to pure mechanical grip.

2.)
The amount of grip cars had at a chicane at Barcelona are predicated by what happened in the two very different sectors before at Barcelona. Most cars fought with overheating tires when they came up to the chicane as a result of the track layout at Barcelona. Those cars who had better control over their tires also ended up with better grip at the chicane. My hunch is that both Ferrari and RedBull especially fought with this. Barcelona is all about the high speed corners so most cars will have been set-up to cater for those, not that one anomaly, the chicane at the end.

3.)
The setup of most cars will be very different at Monaco, set up for a track completely reliant on mechanical grip and very bumpy and very different asphalt.

Now, I'm not saying Mercedes won't be the team to beat. They probably will be, because the Mercedes obviously is a very very good car and if it has shown us any thing so far, it's that it has been excellent on all tires so far. Having said that, I think it will be very close and I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps RedBull or Ferrari ace the set-up. If there is one track they could get away with their aero-design choice, it's at a track where aero is pretty irrelevant (Monaco).

Having said that - Monaco has always rewarded the bold and fearless. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max very strong here, also Leclerc (maybe) and I think Hamilton goes usually pretty well too.

My 2 cents.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Restomaniac

Phil wrote:
21 May 2019, 10:25
zibby43 wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:50
willmesquita wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:28
Anyone has the best Barcelona S3 sector times from last GP?
This is a list of the best S3 times from Barcelona with a linear regression to predict 2019 Monaco qualifying times:

https://i.redd.it/lc9c1t505ez21.png

Credit to /u/jcp2010 on Reddit F1. According 2017 and 2018 data, Barcelona S3 times account for about 71% of the variation in best Monaco qualifying times.
I'm just not convinced that the S3 "chicane" times are that relevant to Monaco. Yes, it's twisty and narrow and probably the best relevant indication we have on who might be strong and who won't be in Monaco, but -

1.)
They are not going to be racing on the same tire compounds. C3 (Barcelona) vs C5 (Monaco). Different compounds will yield very different results on what is a track that basically comes down to pure mechanical grip.

2.)
The amount of grip cars had at a chicane at Barcelona are predicated by what happened in the two very different sectors before at Barcelona. Most cars fought with overheating tires when they came up to the chicane as a result of the track layout at Barcelona. Those cars who had better control over their tires also ended up with better grip at the chicane. My hunch is that both Ferrari and RedBull especially fought with this. Barcelona is all about the high speed corners so most cars will have been set-up to cater for those, not that one anomaly, the chicane at the end.

3.)
The setup of most cars will be very different at Monaco, set up for a track completely reliant on mechanical grip and very bumpy and very different asphalt.

Now, I'm not saying Mercedes won't be the team to beat. They probably will be, because the Mercedes obviously is a very very good car and if it has shown us any thing so far, it's that it has been excellent on all tires so far. Having said that, I think it will be very close and I wouldn't be surprised if perhaps RedBull or Ferrari ace the set-up. If there is one track they could get away with their aero-design choice, it's at a track where aero is pretty irrelevant (Monaco).

Having said that - Monaco has always rewarded the bold and fearless. I wouldn't be surprised to see Max very strong here, also Leclerc (maybe) and I think Hamilton goes usually pretty well too.

My 2 cents.
Didn’t Ferrari admit that their Barcelona setup was using their maximum downforce. That doesn’t bode well around the twisty Monaco circuit.

Vasconia

f1jcw wrote:
djos wrote:

Wet qualys bring always surprises but I don´t see how they can beat Hamilton with this Mercedes in a wet track. I expect a totally boring weekend. :?

Restomaniac

Vasconia wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:24
f1jcw wrote:
djos wrote:

Wet qualys bring always surprises but I don´t see how they can beat Hamilton with this Mercedes in a wet track. I expect a totally boring weekend. :?
I thought that.

Hamilton is a guy who was able to coax wet tyres on a drying track until he was able to go straight onto slicks around Monaco and was the ONLY driver able to pull it off. Oh and he also won that race.

To say it helps others in the rain but not Hamilton is a strange argument TBH.

Bill_Kar

zibby43 wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:48
Bill_Kar wrote:
21 May 2019, 00:03
Sooo.. What's up with Ferrari's suspension?
There were no reports of a new suspension being tested post-Spain.
Italian motorsport reports no new suspension indeed.

LM10, you must be frustrated :mrgreen:

Mamba

Restomaniac wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:41
Hamilton is a guy who was able to coax wet tyres on a drying track until he was able to go straight onto slicks around Monaco and was the ONLY driver able to pull it off. Oh and he also won that race.
Hammy had a very big help in that win... If Red Bull did not ****-up with the tyres at the pit-stop Ricciardo would have easily won with his two stop strategy.

Restomaniac

Mamba wrote:
21 May 2019, 13:18
Restomaniac wrote:
21 May 2019, 11:41
Hammy had a very big help in that win... If Red Bull did not ****-up with the tyres at the pit-stop Ricciardo would have easily won with his two stop strategy.
So he would have finished 2nd then.

Still the only guy able to go WETS-SLICKS and not totally screw up his race. That takes skill in Wet/changeable conditions.