2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6
ispano6
132
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my armchair

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

maybe Red Bull ought to be more subtle in letting Max know to use mode 7. Bono was able to warn Lewis and MB responded with higher modes. They effectively took away the element of surprise.
I feel Red Bull rely heavily on luck and racing, where as MB are outsmarting other teams by simply just having all the bases filled with all-stars.

At least Max put an end to the consecutive MB 1-2 dominance and made the race exciting for Red Bull and Honda fans.

User avatar
Big Tea
76
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm
maybe Red Bull ought to be more subtle in letting Max know to use mode 7. Bono was able to warn Lewis and MB responded with higher modes. They effectively took away the element of surprise.
I feel Red Bull rely heavily on luck and racing, where as MB are outsmarting other teams by simply just having all the bases filled with all-stars.

At least Max put an end to the consecutive MB 1-2 dominance and made the race exciting for Red Bull and Honda fans.
I wonder if mode number X is always the same or do they change it just to confuse the other teams?

Last race 'mode 7' was maximum power this race 'mode 7' is fuel saving?

The driver would not need to learn it, just select it as instructed.
One test is worth a thousand expert opinions

Jolle
Jolle
169
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:01 pm
Jolle wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 3:21 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:56 pm


Its not seeing it that is the problem. it is communicating it to those releasing the car. 1 second to look up, see it is clear and give the release is about the distance the car will travel from the pit 2 along. the 1 second it takes to say 'Oh, hang on' is the time they have collided.
Just have someone with clear view of both cars with a button that has to be pressed or something to have the “go” light to go green. Not so difficult.
But in the short time between him pressing and his teams driver recognizing it as 'go' then pulling off, the car from the next pit can be level. That is what I am saying. A pit stop of 2.x seconds can be doubled. There is no point making minimum stop times as this then gets tagged on the end.

The only way I can see around it is 2 lanes for through and the car can not enter the outside lane for X mtrs after release. In this way adjacent pitboxes should be in sight and any further down will then be in the 'other lane' and the driver should see it. (If he takes action is another matter)
The pits are not that close... bottas was already driving in the pit lane when they released Verstappen. They just missed it by a few meters. A risky overtake by the team instead of the driver.

Jolle
Jolle
169
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm
maybe Red Bull ought to be more subtle in letting Max know to use mode 7. Bono was able to warn Lewis and MB responded with higher modes. They effectively took away the element of surprise.
I feel Red Bull rely heavily on luck and racing, where as MB are outsmarting other teams by simply just having all the bases filled with all-stars.

At least Max put an end to the consecutive MB 1-2 dominance and made the race exciting for Red Bull and Honda fans.
Don't think it's based on luck, but more a risk assessment. RedBull knows that this year they are not in a position (anymore) to go for a world championship and with Ferrari scoring better with two drivers, looks like third is the highest they can reach this year. So, day victories are what is left and loosing some points here and there isn't so bad.

User avatar
NathanOlder
134
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

maxxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am
Why they dont enable drs in the tunnel also?
Sparks flying would be cool and at the end its safe enough to escape
I think Monaco should be all DRS. 1 detection point at the start finish line, and the car behind can use DRS anywhere he wants for the lap.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

User avatar
GPR-A
94
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:08 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:00 pm
maxxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am
Why they dont enable drs in the tunnel also?
Sparks flying would be cool and at the end its safe enough to escape
I think Monaco should be all DRS. 1 detection point at the start finish line, and the car behind can use DRS anywhere he wants for the lap.
When a car that goes 3-4 seconds slower than it's ultimate pace (2019) and a car missing complete hybrid system (2018) can win races, there is nothing that is going to help make a good racing spectacle in Monaco with the modern F1 cars. It was a good spectacle in the past when the cars were half the size and were considerably slower. When tracks like Albert Park (Melbourne) and Hungaroring have lost the racing spectacle, despite being slightly better than Monaco, you can't expect it to offer a spectacle anymore. There is simply nothing that can help. In the past two decades, there are a very few instances when a non-pole sitter that has won a race. So Monaco has long passed the expiry date to be a racing track. In my opinion, the racing weekend should end on Saturday points should be handed after qualifying.

ispano6
ispano6
132
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my armchair

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

Jolle wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:32 pm
ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm
maybe Red Bull ought to be more subtle in letting Max know to use mode 7. Bono was able to warn Lewis and MB responded with higher modes. They effectively took away the element of surprise.
I feel Red Bull rely heavily on luck and racing, where as MB are outsmarting other teams by simply just having all the bases filled with all-stars.

At least Max put an end to the consecutive MB 1-2 dominance and made the race exciting for Red Bull and Honda fans.
Don't think it's based on luck, but more a risk assessment. RedBull knows that this year they are not in a position (anymore) to go for a world championship and with Ferrari scoring better with two drivers, looks like third is the highest they can reach this year. So, day victories are what is left and loosing some points here and there isn't so bad.
I beg to differ. Ferrari can be overtaken, their drivers are stepping on each other's toes. Honda F1 are determined to have both their teams finish ahead of the midfield. The goal is 2nd and 4th in the constructors championship and no let up in upgrades. Spec 3 focus has been on performance so let's not write off the season just yet.

zeph
zeph
61
Joined: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 am
Location: Los Angeles

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

I think Monaco is a great event, because no other track on Earth exposes the skill of the drivers more. So there’s little to no overtaking, sure, but how can you be anything other than awestruck when you see these guys cajoling these cars around at these speeds? Especially with the on-board cameras, it’s breathtaking. They literally get within millimeters of the wall, at 200km/h.
It’s one of the toughest races of the year for the drivers, that’s why a victory here is among the most coveted.

Monaco IS Formula One. I hope it will stay on the calendar forever.

bosyber
bosyber
44
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

I have to agree that I loved watching the lap after lap fight between Hamilton and Verstappen; one cleary on better tyres, able to go faster, but the other knowing where he could use his superior PU and traction out of the slow corners to eke out enough of an advantage that Verstappen had to really work to try and make a move in the places where he might stand a chance. This bit I was happy to watch the live, so I could see the cars different' movement; but switching to onboard laps for a lot of the time in between was superb, and I have to say, the different positioning of the camera for this year really works for me, especially here (and in Baku too).

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier
118
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:54 am

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

GPR -A wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 6:00 pm
maxxer wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 11:19 am
Why they dont enable drs in the tunnel also?
Sparks flying would be cool and at the end its safe enough to escape
I think Monaco should be all DRS. 1 detection point at the start finish line, and the car behind can use DRS anywhere he wants for the lap.
When a car that goes 3-4 seconds slower than it's ultimate pace (2019) and a car missing complete hybrid system (2018) can win races, there is nothing that is going to help make a good racing spectacle in Monaco with the modern F1 cars. It was a good spectacle in the past when the cars were half the size and were considerably slower. When tracks like Albert Park (Melbourne) and Hungaroring have lost the racing spectacle, despite being slightly better than Monaco, you can't expect it to offer a spectacle anymore. There is simply nothing that can help. In the past two decades, there are a very few instances when a non-pole sitter that has won a race. So Monaco has long passed the expiry date to be a racing track. In my opinion, the racing weekend should end on Saturday points should be handed after qualifying.
I don’t agree... In my opinion it is simply a race that brings something different... I for one watched with a lot of interest the development of the gap between Norris and Sainz and what ultimately became the right strategy call to have Sainz come out in front of him (and passing RIC and MAG in the process)... Found it very interesting to see the different strategies during the Safety Car in regards to who decided to stay, who decided to pit... Watching HAM and VER fight it out for almost the whole race was interesting too and even brought an adrenaline spike when the 2 touched after the Tunnel (I was waiting to hear that HAM had a puncture)... Watching the drivers wrestle their cars for 70+ laps and not touch a barrier is very impressive also... Monaco was a good race.

There are 21 races in a season, I’m glad that there is variety in all of them.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TwanV
TwanV
27
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

Completely agree, Monaco is one of the highlights on the calendar for me. DRS brings a lot of overtakes but on this track every single one is special, plus the constant anticipation that something is going to shake up everything is what makes it great. Like its American counterpart really.. but in better scenery. Just a showcase of driver skill and concentration.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
540
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 5:20 pm
maybe Red Bull ought to be more subtle in letting Max know to use mode 7. Bono was able to warn Lewis and MB responded with higher modes. They effectively took away the element of surprise.
I feel Red Bull rely heavily on luck and racing, where as MB are outsmarting other teams by simply just having all the bases filled with all-stars.

At least Max put an end to the consecutive MB 1-2 dominance and made the race exciting for Red Bull and Honda fans.
Apparently Max was in the wrong torque map after his pit stop. They change the map to help with the pull away from the box. They're not allowed to change the map on track and he forgot to do it in the pit lane thanks to his Bottas incident.

Apparently it made the engine suffer turbo lag which made driving it trickier and he had to drive around it.

Read on Autosport.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
NathanOlder
134
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

Intersting. As was the photo from the point of contact. Looks like Max had both fronts locked up.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com

Jolle
Jolle
169
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:58 pm
Location: Dordrecht

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

NathanOlder wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 pm
Intersting. As was the photo from the point of contact. Looks like Max had both fronts locked up.
Yes, the gap that he thought was there, was disappearing because Hamilton cleverly squeezed to the left.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
540
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2019 Monaco Grand Prix - Monte Carlo, May 23-26

Post

Jolle wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 pm
NathanOlder wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:33 pm
Intersting. As was the photo from the point of contact. Looks like Max had both fronts locked up.
Yes, the gap that he thought was there, was disappearing because Hamilton cleverly squeezed to the left.
Hamilton was turning in to the corner before Max was near him. Max's attempt was a dive bomb. Indeed, if he hadn't hit Hamilton he wouldn't have made the corner anyway. Hamilton would have had he not been hit.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"