2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Bill_Kar

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Speed traps anyone?

Vasconia

Restomaniac wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 17:50
Sorry I’m not buying that the Mercedes is THAT much slower in a straight line.
No one does it, I guess. The question is how much speed can Mercedes deliver on the straights when they put the PU at 100%. I do like to see Ferrari being fast but I am still doubtful they can beat Mercedes, yesterday´s picture was underwhelming, especially in a track with so many straigths, so I need to belive that Q3 has shown us a real picture of what is coming. :mrgreen: [-o<

Bomber_Pilot

The way merc and to some extent rb ride the curbs through 8 and 9 is just surreal. The car is completely unflustered.

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

F1T
Administrative bot

FP3: Vettel leads Ferrari charge ahead of qualifying

FP3: Vettel leads Ferrari charge ahead of qualifying

Sebastian Vettel topped the times in the third and final practice session, ahead of qualifying for the Canadian Grand Prix. His Ferrari team mate Charles Leclerc was a close second, with Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton third fastest.

atanatizante

Hard to believe that Bottas is just 5 tenths down on his hot lap in FP3 than Ricci on the same tyre and just 2 laps less ... and to confirm that Binotto said on Sky it`s just the PU modes between the 2 teams ...

On another note, it`s clear that almost everyone will use medium tyres in Q2 but not so clear had they could stretch to a 1 stop M-H strategy ... maybe an M-H-M one it`s a safer one bearing in mind we could have an SC phase here and track temps could be in excess of 50 degrees Celsius ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

search

atanatizante wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 18:14
maybe an M-H-M one it`s a safer one bearing in mind we could have an SC phase here and track temps could be in excess of 50 degrees Celsius ...
apart from Ferrari, Mercedes and Toro Rosso there are no teams with more than one set left of either the mediums or hards - Red Bull and Haas even just got rid of their second set in FP3, so it doesn't really look like the teams would take that into consideration, I'd say

tpeman

Leclerc seemed like he was pushing a lot. This and top speed may suggest Ferrari are running higher engine mode, Mercedes are sandbagging as always. Gasly was much closer to Ves in FP3, good to see him progressing.

mclaren113

tpeman wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 18:22
Leclerc seemed like he was pushing a lot. This and top speed may suggest Ferrari are running higher engine mode, Mercedes are sandbagging as always. Gasly was much closer to Ves in FP3, good to see him progressing.
But they're a full 1 second behind,,is that all down to chassis?

bosyber

I have to agree that it's likely Mercedes will be a lot closer, or clearly ahead come Q3. Also, Leclerc really was pushing, I would hesitate at this moment to put him on pole even if I thought the Ferrari quicker, at the moment I'd gamble on Vettel then. But, at least we get to wonder until quali, and with some luck until Q2, when one of those two teams is able to go to mediums, and the other can't pull it off (eh, so that'd be Ferrari then, sigh?).

edit: unless Honda really turn out to have a great 'party' mode, I don't really see Red Bull as anything but 5,6 - I do think they possibly ran the engine conservative, so might be closer, but not close enough to give Verstappen any chance of a 2nd row, unless someone messes up ahead.

Will be interesting who makes it to 6-10 here, that seems quite tight, with the McLarens, Perez, maybe Renault, and Torro Rosso all in with a chance, depending on circumstances. And also, with the big degradation on the softs, will once again p11 prove to be the bonus spot there for a free choice of tyres?

SAEED

tpeman wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 18:22
Ves encountered traffic in the final sector on his push lap.

GPR-A

Bill wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 17:07
Mercedes asked for tyres to be changed even their engineers acknowledged that why can't people take facts for what they are. Why try to to sell this lie that Mercedes did a better job
Wonder why Mercedes asked for a change in tyres, while they won championships for the past five years! Status quo should have actually helped them more as they anyway keep improving their car to suit the tyres. Like they did with diva and diva'ish W08 and W09.
Last edited by GPR-A on 08 Jun 2019, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.

bosyber

Ah, right, yeah that's true VER did have Hamilton who was gearing up to start a flyer just ahead of him into the final chicane, which is why his S3 was 0.1s slower than Gasly's. Still cannot see him getting close enough though.

edit: can we drop this 'Mercedes asked for these tyres, unfair/no others just did not pay attention' stuff from this thread please? Not sure where it would be appropriate at this point, but I don't think it I want to read it here.

PhillipM

It's a load of crap anyway, the rest of the teams said those tyres were better when they ran them too.

GPR-A

PhillipM wrote:
08 Jun 2019, 18:40
It's a load of crap anyway, the rest of the teams said those tyres were better when they ran them too.
I wonder, if Ferrari and RB are struggling with 0.4mm missing piece of rubber, what would they do when half the tyre goes missing in 2020 with 18 inch wheels?