2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ME4ME

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

I'm expecting Hamilton to win this one, but boy do I look forward to the race. Hopefully we'll get a true race-long fight between Vettel and Hamilton. 8)

Bill_Kar

atanatizante wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:57
They just fired Lewis` ICE a couple of minutes ago ...
Good to hear.
Damn, Mercedes seems to got it wrong, Phase-Two.

FrukostScones

GPR -A wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:00
FrukostScones wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:58
this will be a total borefest
VET running off into the distance, HAM dnf LEC 2nd.
When was the last time you got your prediction of HAM DNF right? I have been reading your predictions for ages now. :lol:
actually this time I included his DNF only to be able to justify it as borefest.

too much hype of an exciting race

#counterjinxed
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

izzy

Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:54
izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:51
and what's DRS worth? 12 kph or something, and the Ferraris have 6 kph so that's half of it gone, and being first out of the hairpin gives a few car lengths automatically
There's free DRS in quali, and DRS negates the drag of the rear wing almost completely. So the figures you've mentioned aren't exactly representative.
in qualy they both had DRS, in the race only Lewis will have it (if he's behind). the slot size is the same on both cars. And we've seen in races that DRS isn't all powerful there are a lot more laps when it isn't enough than when it is. anyway this is why we watch isn't it, to find out, but it's not any kind of given that Lewis can DRS past I don't think

TAG

Phil wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:05
TAG wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 15:44
Things don't work in a vacuum Phil, you know Lewis would have been the first to say that he made a mistake in S3 if he'd made a mistake.
I believe he apologized on team radio and Toto said so too in the post qualifying interview that there was a mistake. I'm really not sure what "vacuum" you are referring to. Lewis was up 1.5 tenths after the first sector and he was purple in S2, yet he lost more in S3 than on his previous best. This isn't Barcelona where you are sacrificing one sector for another because the tires are overheating. Montreal is a high speed full confidence circuit with significant track evolution. Anyway, as I already said, I think Lewis lost around 1 to 1.5 tenths, not more, thus he wouldn't have gotten pole anyway.
It's not Barcelona but it's not Disneyland either. Everything you do on previous sectors has an effect, car placement, braking points, everything. You can't say that his more aggressive first two sectors didn't cost him. He apologized for "not being able to do it" whatever that means. There was a mistake according to Toto, whatever that means. The team car set up? Lewis didn't do something he should have done? We don't know... but you look at the Q lap and point to where the mistake is, go ahead. When Hamilton makes a mistake he says it and he blames himself for it. It's what he does. Not once did he say or do that in the post race interviews. That he wasn't going to get pole, was certain given the Ferrari's S3 capability. Not sure how you can argue that there was a mistake and that he wouldn't make pole anyway, you seem to have a position arguing to both sides of the coin.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

cooken

Or, they have a culture of accountability at Mercedes and this is just an example.

Restomaniac

izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:07
Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:54
izzy wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 18:51
and what's DRS worth? 12 kph or something, and the Ferraris have 6 kph so that's half of it gone, and being first out of the hairpin gives a few car lengths automatically
There's free DRS in quali, and DRS negates the drag of the rear wing almost completely. So the figures you've mentioned aren't exactly representative.
in qualy they both had DRS, in the race only Lewis will have it (if he's behind). the slot size is the same on both cars. And we've seen in races that DRS isn't all powerful there are a lot more laps when it isn't enough than when it is. anyway this is why we watch isn't it, to find out, but it's not any kind of given that Lewis can DRS past I don't think
The point being made is that with DRS open it’s no difference. However with it being shut it will hurt Ferrari more due to its bigger wing. So bigger Ferrari wing and Mercedes having DRS makes a bigger difference.

Shrieker

TAG wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:25

Lewis didn't do something he should have done?
Ooooor.. Did something, which he wasn't supposed to (put the car in the wall in practise). Might've hurt his quali a bit, and that's all it takes. Maybe that's what the apology was for a little.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

siskue2005

Shrieker wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:36
TAG wrote:

Lewis didn't do something he should have done?
Ooooor.. Did something, which he wasn't supposed to (put the car in the wall in practise). Might've hurt his quali a bit, and that's all it takes. Maybe that's what the apology was for a little.
i didnt know Not putting the car in the wall in Friday practice would gain him 0.4 sec in the one straight! :shock: :shock:

Phil

TAG wrote:
It's not Barcelona but it's not Disneyland either. Everything you do on previous sectors has an effect, car placement, braking points, everything.
His biggest improvement was in S1 over his previous time - on a track where track evolution is huge. Everyone was improving. The last sector is a essentially a long straight and a chicane - a chicane that can win or lose significant time and poses a substantial risk. If you want to believe that Hamilton sacrificed his S3 for S1 while no one else had this tradeoff to make, go right ahead and believe it.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

flynfrog

Dont forget our discord chat!

izzy

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:35
The point being made is that with DRS open it’s no difference. However with it being shut it will hurt Ferrari more due to its bigger wing. So bigger Ferrari wing and Mercedes having DRS makes a bigger difference.
My point was that DRS makes a difference in the race, that is the point of it, the fact it's open in qualy is irrelevant as they both have it open and the slot is the same. so yes obviously in the race it'll give Lewis some kph, but it might not be enough.

I don't know about this bigger Ferrari wing notion, what are the numbers and airflow to it or is it the colour and lighting? the bottom line is the car has less drag and/or more power and higher top speed, so when we see it all put together - exit speed, gap, traction, power, drag, DRS - it's not any kind of given that Lewis will get past. Last year they didn't even look as if they were racing, generally, and this year's bigger tow and DRS haven't worked any magic so far

siskue2005

flynfrog wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 19:49
Dont forget our discord chat!
link?

Restomaniac

What is Bottas messing about at he should be eating the cars in front.