2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Spacepace

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Isn't the rule if your fighting for position and you go off track you have to give up your position considering you lost it on the basis that you wouldn't have kept it if you didn't cut the corner?!

Regardless sucks for the championship and the fans would've been nice seeing Ferrari win today

Restomaniac

Spacepace wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:35
Regardless sucks for the championship and the fans would've been nice seeing Ferrari win today
Indeed and I think it kills both Championships.

LionKing

Spacepace wrote:
Isn't the rule if your fighting for position and you go off track you have to give up your position considering you lost it on the basis that you wouldn't have kept it if you didn't cut the corner?!

Like in Monaco???

TwanV

[...] This race was vettels , he made 1 mistake and won because he kept the guy behind in this mirrors like in the old days. The new age group is filled with the RULES but yawn. Vettel ftw and I don't even like ferrari.
Last edited by Steven on 09 Jun 2019, 22:43, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed off-topic comments

ringo

Ferrari had the faster car today which bodes well looking ahead.
The car had very good pace, even when Mercedes felt super confident about their race pace. The Ferrari was just that little bit more faster.
The only reason Lewis was closing on seb was possibly his confidence under braking and with the car sliding from the wear of the tyres.
Leclerc showed me today that he could have caught Lewis had he been giving an optimal strategy from Ferrari.
So all in all the Ferrari's can challenge, they only have to figure out how to deal with Hamilton and his signature pressuring of vettel.
For Sure!!

komninosm

maxxer wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:11
So in the radio message Seb says "if i had gone to the inside he would have passed me"
I guess the telemetry showed that he didnt even tried to brake while on the grass and entering the track.
He was pushed into the mistake and he couldnt handle it , again and again this his problem its like certain football players who bite others he needs to work on it.
The Vettel lies will be covered up again, just like in Baku...

TAG

[...] If Vettel had held on for this win, it would have been one of the best drives of his life. He made a mistake and instead of owning it, he does what Vettel has a tendency to do. We all saw what happend post race and IT. WAS. DISGUSTING. But he's been allowed to go into his red fog for many a time now with zero repercussions. He makes himself very hard to like.

I recall the stuff people where saying about Hamilton when he lost the Monaco race due to the pitstop and Hamilton came in and rammed the 3rd pace marker. People lost it with the unsportsmanlike cries. Hypocrisy has a short memory.
Last edited by Steven on 09 Jun 2019, 22:45, edited 1 time in total.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Wynters

Spacepace wrote:
Hamilton wasn't alongisde him at the point Vettel started going off track so I don't believe that applies here.
Last edited by Wynters on 09 Jun 2019, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.

LionKing

Ferrari wasn't faster especially on hard tires. Even Bottas's lap times was better on those hards...

DiogoBrand

To all Vettel fans, here's a simple question:
After making a mistake on his own, did Sebastian Vettel gain an advantage by not leaving his opponent anywhere to go when he was certainly going to lose the position?
If the answer is yes, you can't criticize the penalty. If the answer is no, you're probably from another planet.

"But Hamilton is always favoured by the FIA".
Sebastian was capable of intentionally hitting another driver's car under a safety car and didn't get a black flag for that, to me that's as favoured as a driver can be.
Last edited by DiogoBrand on 09 Jun 2019, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.

Jolle

Spacepace wrote:

No it isn't.

There are two rules that some here got confused. First one, gaining an advantage, when you overtake someone by cutting a corner or something like that or if, by cutting a corner, you are suddenly miles ahead of the field and don't give that space back. A failed defence is normally never penalised (as for instance in the chicane after the tunnel in Monaco). This rule wasn't applied here.

Then you have, what was used here, unsafe rejoining of the track. Nothing to do with position. Vettel put his foot down and almost crashed into Hamilton when rejoining the track, with a bit of an extra squeeze at the end.

wickedz50

Restomaniac wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:37
Spacepace wrote:
Indeed and I think it kills both Championships.
No mate...championship is already lost even before the season started when Ferrari chose a different car philosophy which just cant get the new 2019 tyres upto its operating window .. this penalty is absolutely irrelevant ... a single win wont change that. So take it as a sport ...sportingly.
Vettel must have already moved on with a couple of beers!!! time for us too to open some beer cans

Wynters

komninosm wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:41
maxxer wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 22:11
So in the radio message Seb says "if i had gone to the inside he would have passed me"
I guess the telemetry showed that he didnt even tried to brake while on the grass and entering the track.
He was pushed into the mistake and he couldnt handle it , again and again this his problem its like certain football players who bite others he needs to work on it.
The Vettel lies will be covered up again, just like in Baku...
I don't think he said "If I had gone..." I believe he said "If he had gone..."

JesperA

Spacepace wrote:
No, the rule is not to give the place back, the rule only states the driver needs to give back the whole of any advantage he gained by leaving the track. Easiest way to do this is to give up your position since its indisputable that the driver gave back the advantage. But gain 1 second, the rules only require to give up that 1 second, but its kinda hard to be sure how much someone gain by leaving the track if the gain is not gaining or losing a position.

Restomaniac

To change the subject. Gasly is awful.
Starts 5th and finishes 8th whilst his team mate starts 11th and finishes 5th.