2019 Canadian Grand Prix - Montreal June 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Zynerji
58
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:14 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Zynerji » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:42 am

Scorpaguy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:13 am
Well, based upon the Merc's straight line speed disadvantage (as witnessed in Baku...NOT) and Big Red's new and improved PU advantage (as witnessed in Spain...NOT)...I would think smart money is on Merc.

...and that is not even taking into account that this is Ham's track and they are expecting a PU upgrade (with Bino stating no new upgrades for this race).
I think Ferrari need to understand what the have more than they need to bring new items they don't understand.

izzy
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am

It's a big test for Honda, when you think about it. Both the chassis are perfectly fine for traction and braking, and the drivers, so if they have a deficit it's going to be put down 100% to the engine. Or conversely, if Max can be up there it'll be quite a breakthrough. And will they look better than Renault?

Bill
3
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:28 am

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Bill » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 am

Why should it be a test for Honda Newey has already said they lack downforce compared to Mercedes they can't get the tires to work,as for Renault they are not competing with Rbr but with Str

etusch
90
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by etusch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:30 am

izzy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am
It's a big test for Honda, when you think about it. Both the chassis are perfectly fine for traction and braking, and the drivers, so if they have a deficit it's going to be put down 100% to the engine. Or conversely, if Max can be up there it'll be quite a breakthrough. And will they look better than Renault?
If it is not just straight ( maybe in that condition too ) there is always a part related with the car.
Honda Engine already showed what it is (Baku and China have long straights). No doubt that it is same level with Renault in worst scenario at power wise and no doubt that it is far better then renault at reliability. So it can be debatable if it is more powerfull but not debatable that it is better then renault as whole unit. It is 3d best engine for sure.

etusch
90
User avatar
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:09 pm
Location: Turkey

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by etusch » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:35 am

zibby43 wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:05 pm
Interesting write-up from the senior tech writer at formula1.com re: the potential Canadian GP pecking order:

"According to our data, which maps out a predicted pecking order based on what we’ve learned in previous races and track characteristics and conditions of upcoming races, Ferrari should halve the deficit they have had to Mercedes in the last couple of races in Canada. Mercedes are still ahead on that metric, but if Ferrari have a great day/weekend and Mercedes have an off day/weekend, we could see Vettel and/or Leclerc challenging for the front row and potentially the victory on Sunday."
We need to see a different winner anymore, Ferrari may be faster, like they were at Bahrain, at montreal. But when we consider ferrari racing operations and mercedes racing operations, ferrari makes too much mistakes and mercedes working almost flawless. I hope it will be different this time and we can see more competition on track with different winner. My choise is Verstappen of course. :mrgreen:

izzy
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:48 am

etusch wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:30 am
izzy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:02 am
It's a big test for Honda, when you think about it. Both the chassis are perfectly fine for traction and braking, and the drivers, so if they have a deficit it's going to be put down 100% to the engine. Or conversely, if Max can be up there it'll be quite a breakthrough. And will they look better than Renault?
If it is not just straight ( maybe in that condition too ) there is always a part related with the car.
Honda Engine already showed what it is (Baku and China have long straights). No doubt that it is same level with Renault in worst scenario at power wise and no doubt that it is far better then renault at reliability. So it can be debatable if it is more powerfull but not debatable that it is better then renault as whole unit. It is 3d best engine for sure.
Renault have been getting better at reliability and using higher modes, so I think the race is still on. Plus Max has still been blaming the engine, albeit politely

digitalrurouni
19
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by digitalrurouni » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm

No way. Disagree. Renault have nothing on the RBR + Honda package. Gasly has been getting a little better though Max is wringing everything out of his package. Renault have been improving their PU yes but their chassis is nowhere near what it needs to be for a factory team. I rate it at the level of McLaren.

izzy
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:46 pm

digitalrurouni wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:04 pm
No way. Disagree. Renault have nothing on the RBR + Honda package. Gasly has been getting a little better though Max is wringing everything out of his package. Renault have been improving their PU yes but their chassis is nowhere near what it needs to be for a factory team. I rate it at the level of McLaren.
It's not about Max or the chassis, the interest is that this circuit is one that tends to expose the engine. Honda have an upgrade to come , Renault have just done one and fixed their problems they say, so it's game on isn't it. Lots of people are emotionally invested in Renault Vs Honda, with McLaren, Max, Fernando and all that.

But obviously it's only interesting if your mind isn't made up already. And yes drag and traction and braking will make a difference too, it just relatively exposing

Sieper
68
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Sieper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm

there is no race between Renault and RBR. Just like STR is not challenging Ferrari and Haas is not able to compete directly with Mercedes. These are 2 different levels.

digitalrurouni
19
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:50 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by digitalrurouni » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm

Gotta agree with Sieper here. It's quite evident alone from the points tally in the Constructors!

izzy
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:39 pm

Sieper wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:47 pm
there is no race between Renault and RBR. Just like STR is not challenging Ferrari and Haas is not able to compete directly with Mercedes. These are 2 different levels.
Agree, this is why I keep typing Renault and Honda😛😁

Sieper
68
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by Sieper » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 pm

Ahahah, Yes , okay, Fair point!

zioture
392
User avatar
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 am
Location: Italy

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by zioture » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:34 pm

Vettel Ferrari video

izzy
26
User avatar
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 9:28 pm

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by izzy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Sieper wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:04 pm
Ahahah, Yes , okay, Fair point!
Even if Lewis wins, we can get the q3 telemetry
to analyse and argue about :)

NathanOlder
119
User avatar
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am
Location: Kent

Re: 2019 Canadian Grand Prix, Montreal June 7-9

Post by NathanOlder » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 pm

digitalrurouni wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:12 pm
Gotta agree with Sieper here. It's quite evident alone from the points tally in the Constructors!
But Renault are far closer to RedBull in that points tally you mention than RedBull are to Mercedes :lol:
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0

Does anyone play F1 2019 on Ps4, Now setting up a league at

https://rapidpixelracing.com