2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
zac510
zac510

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

MtthsMlw wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 18:20
NathanOlder wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 13:51
Has the track layout changed or is it the wrong track map in the original post?
I got it wrong, exchanged it with a map from formula1.com now.
The pit entry has changed however, it now leaves out turn 15.
https://i.postimg.cc/BbKvMj7r/prpit.jpg
That's interesting, it looks like the entry will be fast, and we already know the exit is very short. The time penalty for pitting will be low, perhaps a good chance we'll get a multiple-pit stop race.

Vasconia

SiLo wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 10:51
I think it will be a Ferrari pole but a Mercedes win. There are a lot of straights here and Ferrari essentially gain free time just going in a straight line. Unless Hamilton or Bottas put in a stunner to nick it. Quite a lot of acceleration zones leading into long straights.
I think it will be something similar to Canada. Mercedes seems to have a clear race page advantage. So, though Vettel´s race was better than expected in Canada I think Lewis will be faster this time. Hopefully I am wrong and we can finally see another driver winning, its about time.

Phil

Given how far back Bottas fell vs Hamilton in the championship standing, i am wondering if he will increase the risk/error ratio in his qualifying performance.

On one hand, he is fighting for a contract extension, but at the same time, this year might be his best chance of winning the championship... if he goes all in and full risk in an attempt to beat Hamilton, who knows, he might be more prone to errors like we saw in Canada...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

https://www.grandprix.com/news/ferrari- ... weeks.html
"As a circuit, Paul Ricard should be more difficult for us," he told the Italian broadcaster Rai. "It's more like Barcelona than Montreal."
197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Phil wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:35
On one hand, he is fighting for a contract extension, but at the same time, this year might be his best chance of winning the championship... if he goes all in and full risk in an attempt to beat Hamilton, who knows, he might be more prone to errors like we saw in Canada...
Bottas needs to beat Hamilton in all of the next four races and get some fastest laps too just to get on terms with him. That's four 1-2 races assuming no reliability or other issues for Hamilton. He then has to beat him in at least half of the remaining races assuming equal reliability issues etc., and make second place in every race he doesn't win. That means he has to win 9 of the remaining races and come second in the rest (assuming equal reliability etc, blah, blah). That seems like a tall order considering how he's gone so far this season. It also assumes that the car will be the best at every track which is unlikely.

In order to beat Hamilton in the same car, you have to win races early in the season and get him on the back foot. Even then, the guy's relentless in chasing. Even Rosberg needed Hamilton to have his Sepang DNF in order to beat him to the title and Rosberg started the season with four straight wins!

I can't see Bottas managing to do all of that, to be honest. He'd need to be full risk and zero errors for the rest of the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

SiLo wrote:
I think it will be a Ferrari pole but a Mercedes win. There are a lot of straights here and Ferrari essentially gain free time just going in a straight line. Unless Hamilton or Bottas put in a stunner to nick it. Quite a lot of acceleration zones leading into long straights.
This year's ferrari vs mercedes battle is essentially the same as last year. ferrari faster on the straights, merc in the corners, it's just that the swing in both directions is even more extreme this year. Last year mercedes dominated this track with ease, i don't see it any differently this year.

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

I do not think that the new wing will change anything. Ferrari will be a little closer than in Barcelona, ​​but I do not think they will fight for victory. They have a better chance at Silverstone.

Phil

Just_a_fan wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 18:25
I can't see Bottas managing to do all of that, to be honest. He'd need to be full risk and zero errors for the rest of the season.
For sure, that’s why i think it will be interesting. Go full risk, maybe get a few wins or come close 2nd and perhaps make errors that could put him on thr backfoot in his contract negotiations or play it safe and lose that edge? He’s been pretty “on it” so far this season IMO - with little between hero and zero. Faultless pretty much in 6 races, but with a costly error in one that lost him 13 points.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

zibby43
zibby43

dans79 wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 17:40
https://www.grandprix.com/news/ferrari- ... weeks.html
"As a circuit, Paul Ricard should be more difficult for us," he told the Italian broadcaster Rai. "It's more like Barcelona than Montreal."
zibby43 wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 19:55
GPR -A wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 17:13
MercedesAMGSpy wrote:
16 Jun 2019, 17:10
I guess S3 is going to save Mercedes here if they want to take pole. Judging VET vs HAM CAN Q3 laps, the Merc will be giving up tenths and tenths in S2.
I don't think Ferrari would be weak in S3 as it is a wide, fast turns all the way, except for last turn. So, based on what we saw in Canada, Ferrari should be extremely good here as there are not a lot of medium and slow corners.
I don't know. Watching the lap, this circuit reminds me more of Barcelona than Canada. Wide variety of all different types of corners, and plenty of them. Can see why it was used as a test circuit.
I agree with Mattia. 8)

falonso81

So, borefest with Merc 1-2, maybe Vettel in 3rd. Next race please.

zac510
zac510

PR assault on f1.com and motorsport.com is a bit extreme. They must be fearing a borefest too.

Vasconia

Juzh wrote:
17 Jun 2019, 18:53
SiLo wrote:
This year's ferrari vs mercedes battle is essentially the same as last year. ferrari faster on the straights, merc in the corners, it's just that the swing in both directions is even more extreme this year. Last year mercedes dominated this track with ease, i don't see it any differently this year.
Well, Ferrari had some good downforce and was good in the fast corners, while they were slighly worse with the slower ones. This year are worse with the fast corners and much worse in the slowest ones.

Cuky

MtthsMlw wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Pit exit is a bit different as well, at least it was in Blancpain race I watched recently. Drivers are now required to drive next to the wall and can join on the track a bit later as it was a bit too dangerous to have them get back to the track, basically on the racing line, while still accelerating from speed limit in the pits.

Last year:

This year in Blancpain GT:

siskue2005

Cuky wrote:
18 Jun 2019, 12:38
MtthsMlw wrote:
NathanOlder wrote:

Pit exit is a bit different as well, at least it was in Blancpain race I watched recently. Drivers are now required to drive next to the wall and can join on the track a bit later as it was a bit too dangerous to have them get back to the track, basically on the racing line, while still accelerating from speed limit in the pits.

Last year:
https://nzmotorracing.co.nz/wp-content/ ... 70x470.jpg

This year in Blancpain GT:
arent they right on the braking zone now? instead of joining before that?

they should make the exit like korean GP had

Cuky

They are. But before they were joining on the track with much lower speed than those already on it and it was dangerous. Now, if the car behind is close enough it would pass them while they are still accelerating and when they get to the breaking zone both of them would be slowing down.

That Korean pit exit would probably work here, true. But I think they don't make it like that because of another layout that it would be passing over. This way all layouts enter and exit pits at the same place