2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
elMaestro
elMaestro

Re: 2019 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 21-23

Jolle wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:53
elMaestro wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:52
What happened to Bottas on the last laps? Not only he was nowhere in the race but he also nearly got passed by Leclerc?
Couldn’t get his tires to work after the VSC
Oh ok, thanks for the clarification.

ringo

This race was very good. Very competitive and drama free.
Bottas is not poor as some people are saying. He had very good pace for most of the race. If you notice Hamilton was pretty much going balls out from the start, he had quickest lap for almost every lap by going faster and faster.
It would be unfair to ask the same of Bottas. So not too bad from him.
Leclerc was very good today as well as Max.

Well done by Sainz and Norris. Ricciardo was a bit messy in the end. Haas was horrible, Force India and Torro Rosso pretty much nowhere.
For Sure!!

JordanMugen

GPR -A wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:10
So, Max is the new Alonso and Red Bull is the new Ferrari. He is doing what Alonso did for Ferrari from 2010-2013 and Red Bull is doing what Ferrari did in that period. Beating/Splitting faster cars and taking good chunk of points.
Or does it just seem that way because Gasly is so much worse than Ricciardo? Maybe RBR car is at similar level to before, just before RBR had two tier 1 drivers, now they only have one. :wink:

ringo

Looking back to qualifying and the race, it seems the Honda engine is not very drivable at this track. It was evident from watching max's laps. Honda need to sort out their engine mapping.
Renault on the other hand we very much versatile today, all 4 cars in the top 10.
For Sure!!

LM10
LM10

matt_b wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:02
LM10 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:57
matt_b wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:55

Yay instead of fighting Max after he just said the tyres are f'd, they back out the fight, put on the soft tyres, claim fastest lap by an embarrassing margin to reduce the championship from 77 point to 76, bravo Ferrari bravo :lol:
You must be joking, I assume. The gap was at about 4 seconds with less than 3 laps remaining. I would love you to explain me your version of how Vettel should have closed that gap and even overtaken Verstappen.
Go look at Max's sectors from the moment he said his tyres are f'd, it would've been very close and exciting to see, but it is what it is, they did say plan f (f standing for fastest lap, how the sky pundits didn't know that was surprising)
Vettel would surely have not been able to be 2 seconds a lap faster. Vertappen's tryres must have been near to explosion at that point for this to happen. Do you think you're in a better position than the whole strategic team with data to tell that it was the wrong decision to pit?

epo
epo

TAG wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:12
The future of F1 is bright with young talent and I'm a fan of Leclerc, I'm a fan of Albon and I'm a fan of Norris. A lot of desperation from Ricciardo there at the end, I'd be expecting at least a five second penalty, sloppy to say the least. Besides Mercedes, well I should say Hamilton and his Mercedes, today belonged to McLaren.
Why did it belong to McLaren? They secured those positions yesterday with qualy, I'm sure Riccardo could have beaten them if he was closer.
And they were nowhere near Max his RB in race pace.

Xero

epo wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:35
Why did it belong to McLaren? They secured those positions yesterday with qualy, I'm sure Riccardo could have beaten them if he was closer.
As soon as Max managed to maintain his place and pull away McLaren slipped into a preservation mode to keep on top of tyre graining. They could have pushed harder, but there was no need. Yes, Lando got swamped up at the end with the hydraulics issue, and a bigger gap would have saved him, but you can't account for those misfortunes. They had plenty in the tank to keep Ricciardo behind on true pace, was never really racing Max to be honest. The race belonged to McLaren as they made the biggest improvement over the weekend relative to the others, hard to argue otherwise.

matt_b
matt_b

LM10 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:33
matt_b wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:02
LM10 wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 16:57

You must be joking, I assume. The gap was at about 4 seconds with less than 3 laps remaining. I would love you to explain me your version of how Vettel should have closed that gap and even overtaken Verstappen.
Go look at Max's sectors from the moment he said his tyres are f'd, it would've been very close and exciting to see, but it is what it is, they did say plan f (f standing for fastest lap, how the sky pundits didn't know that was surprising)
Vettel would surely have not been able to be 2 seconds a lap faster. Vertappen's tryres must have been near to explosion at that point for this to happen. Do you think you're in a better position than the whole strategic team with data to tell that it was the wrong decision to pit?
I think it would've been close, the gap was 3.2 seconds at the time of pitting so he would've needed 1.6 seconds per lap with the engine turned up to 11 and much fresher tyres against a car with f'd tyres, a battle would've been possible, never mind though the drama with Lando was exciting enough at the end.

Mattchu

max_speed wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:04
Bottas is such a substandard driver, always finishing 10+ seconds off the leader. even a blind man can get 2nd place in that Mercedes.he must be sacked.replace him with Lecrec.
Just like that! You having a laugh...

epo
epo

Xero wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:45
epo wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:35
As soon as Max managed to maintain his place and pull away McLaren slipped into a preservation mode to keep on top of tyre graining. They could have pushed harder, but there was no need. Yes, Lando got swamped up at the end with the hydraulics issue, and a bigger gap would have saved him, but you can't account for those misfortunes. They had plenty in the tank to keep Ricciardo behind on true pace, was never really racing Max to be honest. The race belonged to McLaren as they made the biggest improvement over the weekend relative to the others, hard to argue otherwise.
Why go into tyre preservation in round 2 and still pitted the same as the others?
That is just :roll:

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

So any word on the investigation for the Lando Riccardo's incident?

Looks like gaining and advantage and re-entering the track in an unsafe manner. So 10 second penalty?

Carl Mccoy
Carl Mccoy

Top speeds from race? Alfa looking real fast on Mistral Straight

McMika98
McMika98

ringo wrote:
23 Jun 2019, 17:31
Looking back to qualifying and the race, it seems the Honda engine is not very drivable at this track. It was evident from watching max's laps. Honda need to sort out their engine mapping.
Renault on the other hand we very much versatile today, all 4 cars in the top 10.
It down to the horse power, Honda is much much further down than the three manufacturers even with the new spec 3.0. Renault is as good as the top and can pull a high engine mode in race and immediately be a second quicker which was what Hulk did when rest of midfield pitted.

MtthsMlw

Maplesoup
Maplesoup

Right on the mark for that penalty. Good to see the stewards doing a good job