2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Phil

Re: 2019 [R09] Austrian Grand Prix, Spielberg, 28-30 June

Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 17:20
Sorry but that´s not fair. With two cars in parallel, none can go from edge to edge. I really am struggling to understand how someone with track experience as yourself can continue ignoring such a basic rule to justify Max :wtf:
There's precedence for the car on the inside having a certain "right" to the corner and his racing line, however unfair that may seem to you. Leclerc conceded that line himself when he chose to stay on the outside and invite Max to go there. If he hadn't wanted that, he should have driven defensively by going there and covering it before Max stuck his nose there.

My post was to explain why that is and why following a car parallel but on the outside is a risky and vulnerable position to be in. As per the rules, deliberate crowding is not allowed. If you simply understeer or by the trajectory you committed yourself to leads towards the outside, it's not deliberate. Proving if Max had margin and could have avoided going that far out to the edge of the track on corner exit is difficult, but under the premise 'innocent until proven guilty', I don't see deliberate crowding there. And it doesn't negate that, again, Leclerc put himself into that vulnerable position.

We can go on and on in circles here, but it really doesn't change the fact that Leclerc could have simply defended better to cover off that eventuality.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

izzy

Phil wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 20:27
Andres125sx wrote:
Sorry but that´s not fair. With two cars in parallel, none can go from edge to edge. I really am struggling to understand how someone with track experience as yourself can continue ignoring such a basic rule to justify Max :wtf:
There's precedence for the car on the inside having a certain "right" to the corner and his racing line, however unfair that may seem to you. Leclerc conceded that line himself when he chose to stay on the outside and invite Max to go there. If he hadn't wanted that, he should have driven defensively by going there and covering it before Max stuck his nose there.

My post was to explain why that is and why following a car parallel but on the outside is a risky and vulnerable position to be in. As per the rules, deliberate crowding is not allowed. If you simply understeer or by the trajectory you committed yourself to leads towards the outside, it's not deliberate. Proving if Max had margin and could have avoided going that far out to the edge of the track on corner exit is difficult, but under the premise 'innocent until proven guilty', I don't see deliberate crowding there. And it doesn't negate that, again, Leclerc put himself into that vulnerable position.

We can go on and on in circles here, but it really doesn't change the fact that Leclerc could have simply defended better to cover off that eventuality.
in circuit racing, drivers pass round the outside, it happens all the time and if anything it's Max's speciality. They can do this because the outside line has more grip and the line has a larger radius and that means more speed.

That's what would've happened to Charles, if he'd gone to the inside. He've had to brake earlier and have a lower apex speed and exit speed and Max would've passed him round the outside.

It didn't happen to Max this time because he didn't apex at all, didn't brake or steer for the apex he went straight on for about 5 metres so on the exit he was still alongside Charles.

Just_a_fan

I'm willing to guess that if the incident had been Charles overtaking Max on the inside, and running his line in the same way, there wouldn't be this clamour.

It's amusing to see some of the "this isn't racing" comments and we also see people generally bemoaning the lack of racing in F1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

izzy

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 21:41
I'm willing to guess that if the incident had been Charles overtaking Max on the inside, and running his line in the same way, there wouldn't be this clamour.

It's amusing to see some of the "this isn't racing" comments and we also see people generally bemoaning the lack of racing in F1.
everyone would've been surprised if Charles had done it!

Max would've been saying he was freaking going to freaking get him and Helmut would've been saying there must be a penalty it's not fair

it depends what we call racing doesn't it, but anyway it meant we had less racing not more. we had that much racing because of the tyres

Pyrone89

Agreed most of the hurt on forums seem to come because of the driver doing it as opposed to the action itself which we have seen countless times in history without problems. Just imagine if there had been forums in the Senna Prost days. :lol:
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

Jolle

Pyrone89 wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:32
Agreed most of the hurt on forums seem to come because of the driver doing it as opposed to the action itself which we have seen countless times in history without problems. Just imagine if there had been forums in the Senna Prost days. :lol:
the whole 94 season would have broken the internet.... deaths, planks, black flags, holes in air boxes, pit lane fires, traction control controversy, cheating, disqualifications and finally the last race of the season....

Snorked

Pyrone89 wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 22:32
Just imagine if there had been forums in the Senna Prost days. :lol:
Didn't they have IRC wars back in those days?

I'm pretty sure there's a thread on Autosport's Nostalgia forum with some chat logs from the late 80s early 90s.

henry

Just_a_fan wrote:

There was racing on the previous lap and up to corner 3 on lap 69. Had Max not run Charles off the road we would have continued to see racing for the rest of the lap and further. So people who want racing are rightly dischuffed every time the racing is curtailed by the bargers.
Fortune favours the prepared; she has no favourites and takes no sides.
Truth is confirmed by inspection and delay; falsehood by haste and uncertainty : Tacitus

Just_a_fan

henry wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 23:08
Just_a_fan wrote:

There was racing on the previous lap and up to corner 3 on lap 69. Had Max not run Charles off the road we would have continued to see racing for the rest of the lap and further. So people who want racing are rightly dischuffed every time the racing is curtailed by the bargers.
Sorry, but I think that Max didn't do anything wrong. He does plenty of stuff wrong, but this time it was text book "take the inside line and dictate the corner". Charles made two mistakes - he left room on the inside because it worked before, and then he tried to muscle it out on the outside rather than using the cut back technique. The cut back would have given him the inside line in to the next corner. I guess he got suckered by the previous lap and expected it to play out the same way the next time. Max, however, changed his approach which left Charles high and dry. Max out drove Charles pure and simple. That's why he deserved the win in my opinion.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

roon

henry wrote:
...people who want racing are rightly dischuffed every time the racing is curtailed by the bargers.
It's how they do things in Holland.

Jolle

roon wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 23:44
henry wrote:
...people who want racing are rightly dischuffed every time the racing is curtailed by the bargers.
It's how they do things in Holland.

https://i.imgur.com/HwmYJai.gif
oi! those were those pesky Americans not used to our lovely canal streets!

Andres125sx

DutchDopey wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 18:44
Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 17:03
No. He´s not alone in the track. Going edge to edge is always faster, but if that´s enough to claim a line, then every single overtaking attempt will finish with a car in a wall or a gravel trap
I don’t understand what argument you try to make that he isn’t entitled to the racing line ?
It´s easy, the racing line cannot be used always, only if there´s no car at it yet

Andres125sx

Phil wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 20:27
Andres125sx wrote:

Yes, he could have defended much better, agree but, where did you read not defending aggresively at the braking point means you lose the right to use the racing line you´re in and other drivers are allowed to push you out of it?

BTW, Charles was NOT following any car at the outside as you stated, for the whole braking he´s clearly in front of Max.

And actually, I see deliberate crowding. Did you watch Max onboard? He deliberatedly straighten the wheel when applying throttle, wich is the reason for the contact. What btw refute your defense of Max arguing once he´s into the corner he can´t avoid going long. It would have been as easy as waiting a bit more before applying throttle, but then he would have not completed the overtake, same as previous lap, so he decidedto apply throttle at that point, pushing Lecrerc out of track

Andres125sx

henry wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:

This!!

DutchDopey

Andres125sx wrote:
08 Jul 2019, 07:40
DutchDopey wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 18:44
Andres125sx wrote:
07 Jul 2019, 17:03
No. He´s not alone in the track. Going edge to edge is always faster, but if that´s enough to claim a line, then every single overtaking attempt will finish with a car in a wall or a gravel trap
I don’t understand what argument you try to make that he isn’t entitled to the racing line ?
It´s easy, the racing line cannot be used always, only if there´s no car at it yet
There was no other car on the racing line he took and was committed to. There was another car trying to get on that racing line.