2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Big Tea

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

Just_a_fan wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 23:07
It's a good job Mercedes picked up points early in the season when others were dropping them. If the season had been like this from day one, they'd be looking at neither a driver nor constructor's title this year.
Or they may have pulled their finger out and we could have had a terrific year :D
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Zynerji

Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 00:49
Just_a_fan wrote:
It's a good job Mercedes picked up points early in the season when others were dropping them. If the season had been like this from day one, they'd be looking at neither a driver nor constructor's title this year.
Or they may have pulled their finger out and we could have had a terrific year :D

I'll take anything other than a blow-out...

The stress of AbuDhabi 2010/2016 and Brazil 2007/2008/2012 are the highlights of my F1 watching career. And I would love another show down like those!
Last edited by Zynerji on 24 Sep 2019, 02:46, edited 2 times in total.

TAG

Sochi sucks as a circuit.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dtro
dtro

Zynerji wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 01:28
Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 00:49
Just_a_fan wrote:

I'll take anything other than a blow-out...

The stress of AbuDhabi 2010/2016 and Brazil 2007/2008/2012 are the highlights of my F1 watching career. And I would love another show down like those!
Fairly certain Hamilton could take fourth at the remaining races of the year and still win the championship even if Bottas kicks into gear and wins the remaining races. He could take fifth at the remaining races and still win if either Vettel/LeClerc/Verstappen kick into gear and somehow one of them wins the remaining races. As much as I would love a showdown in Brazil/Abu Dhabi (ugh) as well I think it's a foregone conclusion (famous last words [-o< ) that Mercedes will take home the WDC/WCC.

That being said- I want to see the ladies and gentleman at Mercedes break a sweat so here's to them having a fight on their hands at Sochi until the end of the year.

spin1/2
spin1/2

Weather - Sochi is among the cooler temperature tracks where Merc have had the upper hand in keeping the tyre in window. Ferrari have struggled in cooler tracks. It will be a test for Ferrari, can the new aero upgrade help to keep the tyre in window in a cooler track? Or did the hot weather in Singapore help them with their tyre window (similar to Bahrain, Austria)? Note also that Merc run their engine in lower modes in hot weather, they don't have to in Sochi.
Track - There is 1 sweeping corner, the rest of the track is 90 deg and straights. So, no major disadv for Ferrari (unlike Hungary).

yelistener

Sochi is like Monza+Singapore, isn't it? At this point, it seems the only corners Ferrari fears are the long-sweeping medium speed coners, and there is none in Sochi.

That's of cause that Ferrari's pole and win in Singapore didn't trick us all. The tyre temp problem in 2019 is pretty wild tho.

Vasconia

Hopefully Ferrari Will be strong again, I want to see Vettel winning again. =D> =D> =D> =D>

auv
auv

Those DRS straights will not make Mercedes life any easier.
In dry conditions Ferrari can simply repeat Singapore scenario to grab another win.
RBR is just the 3rd force here.

Bill
Bill

Mercedes car is inherently draggy I don't see why Redbull can't take the fight to them they did so in Austria . Silverstone ,Germany

mkay
mkay

spin1/2 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 05:26
Weather - Sochi is among the cooler temperature tracks where Merc have had the upper hand in keeping the tyre in window. Ferrari have struggled in cooler tracks. It will be a test for Ferrari, can the new aero upgrade help to keep the tyre in window in a cooler track? Or did the hot weather in Singapore help them with their tyre window (similar to Bahrain, Austria)? Note also that Merc run their engine in lower modes in hot weather, they don't have to in Sochi.
Track - There is 1 sweeping corner, the rest of the track is 90 deg and straights. So, no major disadv for Ferrari (unlike Hungary).
Sector 3 is made up of slow corners with some being off-camber. This will certainly test Ferrari's slow corner performance.

Delta to overtake is lower here, so Mercedes won't necessarily be stuck behind a Ferrari for an entire race.

Vettel165

Analysing stuff in my head.
If dry and Ferrari have a good setup, reliability free weekend, they could gain as much as 0,3-0,4s alone at the main straight, then another 0,2-0,3s in the long s2 straight. S1 has just two corners, which are high-speed corners, one with full power, flat out. Then S2 is all about the medium speed corners, a little faster as Singapore 90 degrees corners, which should be solid . S3 is all about the traction. We will see.

Its a 1 stop race easy, start will be crucial. Pole doesnt mean much here, second place or even third place to start is better. If Ferrari are ahead after qualy its gonna be very hard to be passed by Mercedes.

Rain on saturday is expected, maybe just showers but still. All is possible.

auv
auv

mkay wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 10:59
spin1/2 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 05:26
Sector 3 is made up of slow corners with some being off-camber. This will certainly test Ferrari's slow corner performance.

Delta to overtake is lower here, so Mercedes won't necessarily be stuck behind a Ferrari for an entire race.
Last year action:

And this time Ferrari is way more better in drag racing.

izzy
izzy

Personally i don't feel i know the cars any more. It's a huge development season and Ferrari seem to have developed pretty awesomely! Have Red Bull fallen back? Will everyone get their fronts in the window on the smooth tarmac? Is James Vowles actually an instinctive racing strategist or just a software operator?

Anyway we all wanted 5 potential winners and here we are!! :shock: :D

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

I would say otherway around. Mercedes did not developed the car after summer break due to over confident.

Now they are paying for it.

3jawchuck
3jawchuck

selvam_e2002 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:13
I would say otherway around. Mercedes did not developed the car after summer break due to over confident.

Now they are paying for it.
If they have turned down development for this year it is more likely a calculated risk than it is overconfidence. They will have done it to get a jump on next year as they have such a huge lead. That's a big IF they have turned down development this year.