2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

3jawchuck wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:19
selvam_e2002 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:13
I would say otherway around. Mercedes did not developed the car after summer break due to over confident.

Now they are paying for it.
If they have turned down development for this year it is more likely a calculated risk than it is overconfidence. They will have done it to get a jump on next year as they have such a huge lead. That's a big IF they have turned down development this year.
Rules won't change for next year. Developments being done now will help for next year's car and it's a good ooportunity to already test it. I don't see any sense in turning down the development because of having secured both titles. Contrary to that, I would keep on developing and testing on track this year. If they fail, it won't have any decisive negative effects anyway.

Sierra117

LM10 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:23
3jawchuck wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:
I would say otherway around. Mercedes did not developed the car after summer break due to over confident.

If they have turned down development for this year it is more likely a calculated risk than it is overconfidence. They will have done it to get a jump on next year as they have such a huge lead. That's a big IF they have turned down development this year.
Rules won't change for next year. Developments being done now will help for next year's car and it's a good ooportunity to already test it. I don't see any sense in turning down the development because of having secured both titles. Contrary to that, I would keep on developing and testing on track this year. If they fail, it won't have any decisive negative effects anyway.
Huh? How can you say that? They may have a different concept (if their wild experiments during winter testing wasn't obvious enough) and in that case it's obvious that development on the current car won't help a whole lot on next year's unknown concept. We can see how for 2 years now nobody has been able to match Ferrari's engine power deployment and all that so it's no surprise it'll take a lot more resources to crack the problem.

Tldr you would continue developing this year's car because you personally don't have plans for a different concept for next year.
NIKI LAUDANZ SolidarityCubolligraphy | Instagram | Facebook
#Aerogorn & #Flowramir

dans79

LM10 wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:
selvam_e2002 wrote:

Unless they are making a change that isn't compatible with this year's car.

For example starting work on a suspension system that is less stiff than the current one. Their current system is potentially the stiffest on the grid, and that will not mix well with the rim and tire changes for 2021.
197 104 103 7

LM10

Sierra117 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:37
LM10 wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:

Huh? How can you say that? They may have a different concept (if their wild experiments during winter testing wasn't obvious enough) and in that case it's obvious that development on the current car won't help a whole lot on next year's unknown concept. We can see how for 2 years now nobody has been able to match Ferrari's engine power deployment and all that so it's no surprise it'll take a lot more resources to crack the problem.

Tldr you would continue developing this year's car because you personally don't have plans for a different concept for next year.
You're right regarding the different concept.

santos

LM10 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:46

Why would they make a car with a different concept for just one season?

LM10

dans79 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:40
LM10 wrote:
3jawchuck wrote:

For example starting work on a suspension system that is less stiff than the current one. Their current system is potentially the stiffest on the grid, and that will not mix well with the rim and tire changes for 2021.
If I've interpreted the translation (from italian motorsport.com) correctly, Mercedes is going to introduce a new front suspension earlier than planned. I think the plan was to come up with it at Suzuka and now they're gonna do it before?

"And if the Red Army has established itself in Spa and Monza due to its lower resistance to advancement, in Marina Bay it has benefited from the greater downforce, so much so that in the world champion team they have decided to anticipate the introduction of a new front suspension (prefiguring 2020 ) which was to debut only at Suzuka."

LM10

santos wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:53
LM10 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:46

Why would they make a car with a different concept for just one season?
In regards of the aerodynamic concept, this was my thought as well. But as dans79 told, it may be other parts (in preparation for 2021) which might not be compatible with this year's car (still, Mercedes seems to bring a new suspension soon, as I've written a moment ago).

Anyway, enough off-topic.

Big Tea

but if nothing is 'coming through' now, it would mean they dumped this years car upto 3 months ago. Don't think this is very lightly.
They may have 'rush jobbe'd' some things through to be able to get the tested and have more time on the new car however and a development/production gap with this one.

We will have to keep a ken eye on what is being run in prac 1.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

ubuysa

zibby43 wrote:Ferraris are Red,
Brackley is blue,
this trend will continue,
after another Scuderia 1-2
Mercedes are silver,
Mercury is too,
Lewis will triumph,
With Bottas at number 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sent using Tapatalk

astracrazy

selvam_e2002 wrote:

I think that's far off.

I've always considered Mercs update strategy over the last few seasons (because they can afford the time) to be more directed at big packages instead of updates spread out like most other teams (although they do bring small updates). Think Austria the last two years. It wouldn't surprise me if they bring another final big update soon.

djones

I'm sure I read Hamilton only needs to come 5th or better in the remaining races to beat the next actual competitor (Leclerc).

Spa and Monza were always destined for Ferrari wins and I think in the last race Mercedes got the setup wrong. They were, however, 2nd fastest in qualifying and arguably the faster car in the race.

I think it would be a safe bet that Hamilton will not come 5th in each of the remaining races and will likely win some.

So to stop development and concentrate on next years concept makes perfect logical sense.

dans79

LM10 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:54
dans79 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 13:40
LM10 wrote:

If I've interpreted the translation (from italian motorsport.com) correctly, Mercedes is going to introduce a new front suspension earlier than planned. I think the plan was to come up with it at Suzuka and now they're gonna do it before?

"And if the Red Army has established itself in Spa and Monza due to its lower resistance to advancement, in Marina Bay it has benefited from the greater downforce, so much so that in the world champion team they have decided to anticipate the introduction of a new front suspension (prefiguring 2020 ) which was to debut only at Suzuka."

I'm not sure I would trust that report, teams usually ship out parts and supplies 4 to 6 weeks before a race. Thus this sounds like someone taking rumors and letting their imaginations run away with them.
197 104 103 7

zibby43

ubuysa wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 15:16
Brackley is blue,
Mercedes are silver,
Mercury is too,
Lewis will triumph,
With Bottas at number 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sent using Tapatalk
Haha that was a good one. It was nice to see a bit of fun in here that was also on-topic!

After reading some of the debriefs on Singapore, it’s becoming pretty clear that it wasn’t the Ferrari upgrades that delivered some huge chunk of performance. Ferrari got the softest tires in the range in the window over the course of one qualifying lap with the same types of corners they were strong at in both Canada and Baku.

Merc got their qualifying preparation wrong, and then couldn’t use their far superior race pace in the race.

I would not be surprised to see a Merc front row lockout in Russia followed by a dominant race performance.

Big Tea

zibby43 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:02
ubuysa wrote:
Brackley is blue,
Mercedes are silver,
Mercury is too,
Lewis will triumph,
With Bottas at number 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sent using Tapatalk
Haha that was a good one. It was nice to see a bit of fun in here that was also on-topic!

After reading some of the debriefs on Singapore, it’s becoming pretty clear that it wasn’t the Ferrari upgrades that delivered some huge chunk of performance. Ferrari got the softest tires in the range in the window over the course of one qualifying lap with the same types of corners they were strong at in both Canada and Baku.

Merc got their qualifying preparation wrong, and then couldn’t use their far superior race pace in the race.

I would not be surprised to see a Merc front row lockout in Russia followed by a dominant race performance.
Ferrari do seem to have learned to dominate a race, which they seem to have forgotten recently.
Controlling the race from the front means they play to their advantages not play catch up.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Carl Mccoy

zibby43 wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:02
ubuysa wrote:
Brackley is blue,
Mercedes are silver,
Mercury is too,
Lewis will triumph,
With Bottas at number 2.

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Sent using Tapatalk

Sochi have very long straights I think Ferrari will have Pole Position again. Especially if they have partially dealt with slow corners problems. Even in 2017 with less powerful engine and draggy car Ferrari lockout first row.