2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
falonso81

Re: 2019 Russian Grand Prix - Sochi Autodrom, 27 - 29 September

It does not matter a bit if Merc has the fastest car. The car that crosses the finish line first is the one who gets more points. If Ferrari can execute a perfect 2nd half of the season they can vitually win all remaining races without the need for an outright faster car. Its the Merc way ironically.

Unc1eM0nty

djones wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 14:01
I suspect we may see a setup from Mercedes which is qualifying focused.

The reality is it was only qualifying that lost them the last 3 races.
How times change, not so long ago no one could touch their qually pace but were closer on race day, now it's flipped

GPR-A

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 15:08
djones wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 14:01
I suspect we may see a setup from Mercedes which is qualifying focused.

The reality is it was only qualifying that lost them the last 3 races.
How times change, not so long ago no one could touch their qually pace but were closer on race day, now it's flipped
Not so long ago, Ferrari was a hopeless team too! And hey, we are still talking about Ferrari and who else can be as unpredictable as Ferrari. They would never cease to surprise us.

GPR-A

falonso81 wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 15:06
It does not matter a bit if Merc has the fastest car. The car that crosses the finish line first is the one who gets more points. If Ferrari can execute a perfect 2nd half of the season they can vitually win all remaining races without the need for an outright faster car. Its the Merc way ironically.
The first thing that Ferrari need to establish is that, it was NOT JUST the higher track temperatures, humidity and softest compound (C5) that was the key for Singapore performance and their upgrades can in fact work the tyres in optimum window on softer surface of Sochi, using slightly more harder compound in far more cooler conditions. I would really hope they have got it right.

The things is, most of the remaining races would likely have cooler conditions, other than of course, Abu Dhabi AND mostly Sau Paulo. So, let's see what they have got in Sochi first.

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

When you look at the overall picture I think the Ferrari "domination" in the last three races is overblown like Mercedes domination in first half of the season.

Ferrari could have win 2 races in the fist 5 and Mercedes could have win the 2 of the last 3 races. I dont think much has changed frankly so I think Russia will be a close race between Merc and Ferrari. Basically we are going to see a slightly faster Ferari in qualy and faster Merc in the race. Both can win.

Big Tea

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
25 Sep 2019, 13:55
Big Tea wrote:
24 Sep 2019, 20:57
Ferrari do seem to have learned to dominate a race, which they seem to have forgotten recently.
Controlling the race from the front means they play to their advantages not play catch up.
While that is true you could argue that Mecedes have had the faster race car in each of the last three races, but they couldn't make it count.

At Monza Lewis couldn't follow close enough through Parabolica to pick up an early tow, in Singapore, well it's Singapore - the less said about this track the better.

The last two corners here should suit them, if they can get under the Ferrari gear box they should have a chance of an overtake. A one stopper as well, maybe they can make their superior tyre wear count here.

I expect another Ferrari pole, the race is up for grabs though
That is what I mean. As with Merc and previously Red Bull Ferrari have taken the 'high ground' and controlled how the race was won. As you say, no matter if you have a faster car, the strategy is controlled by the leading car(s) and you are not in front (in control again) until you pass them. Ferrari have seemed to be concentrating on the race, but now seem to want to be infront at the start. Probably a Le Clerk preference, but it is working.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

zibby43
zibby43

Looks like it's going to be cool with a high chance of rain on Saturday.

Roman
Roman

Yes, almost all weathermodels predict at least some rain during Q. Some say quite a bit of rain, some say only a drizzle. Well know more tmw, then we should also have some kind of certainty regarding Sunday.

But sounds like fun!

FW17

MtthsMlw wrote:
23 Sep 2019, 18:07
I just hate this track

yelistener

Bottas could be "it's James"ed again this wknd. He has always been strong in Sochi, and if Ferrari comes as strong as Singapore and Bottas indeed comes in front of Lewis in the race, Mercedes would have no hesitate to make the call.

NathanOlder

yelistener wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:04
Bottas could be "it's James"ed again this wknd. He has always been strong in Sochi, and if Ferrari comes as strong as Singapore and Bottas indeed comes in front of Lewis in the race, Mercedes would have no hesitate to make the call.
If Mercedes are running 1-2 , Bottas Hamilton, No way would they switch them, theres no need to if they are running in front of Ferrari.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Big Tea

NathanOlder wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:13
yelistener wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:04
If Mercedes are running 1-2 , Bottas Hamilton, No way would they switch them, theres no need to if they are running in front of Ferrari.
Bottas may well be used to 'test' a tyre at some time though.

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:19
NathanOlder wrote:
I don't see Mercedes doing anything this year, there was so much bad feeling about it last year, it really spoiled the Mercedes win. everyone will be watching for it so however subtle they were they couldn't do it secretly. And as Nathan says if Valtteri's taking the win away from the others that's enough isn't it? Personally i would love a Valtteri Victory and i know i'm not the only one

Big Tea

izzy wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 18:46
Big Tea wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 16:19
NathanOlder wrote:
I don't see Mercedes doing anything this year, there was so much bad feeling about it last year, it really spoiled the Mercedes win. everyone will be watching for it so however subtle they were they couldn't do it secretly. And as Nathan says if Valtteri's taking the win away from the others that's enough isn't it? Personally i would love a Valtteri Victory and i know i'm not the only one
I mean to see if the track is dry enough to go slick rather than test as in new rubber. It seems the rain could well play a part this year

izzy
izzy

Big Tea wrote:
26 Sep 2019, 19:05
I mean to see if the track is dry enough to go slick rather than test as in new rubber. It seems the rain could well play a part this year
oh sorry, yes I see what you mean. Rain! i hadn't been paying attention.

Valtteri is toast if it's wet anyway, it should be Max vs Lewis shouldn't it, unless Charles can do it after all...