2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Japanese Grand Prix - Suzuka, Oct 11 - 13

f1jcw wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 14:45
Hypothetical question.

If the rain was so bad that they had to cancel Sunday and the race, what would happen.
1 less race helps Lewis and Mercedes against a resurgent Ferrari.

If the points were even closer I’d presume this would cause a big controversy, would it be case of just sucking it up
Yes. If conditions don't petmit racing then the fixture is void and season has fewer points available. Don't see why it should be controversial.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

f1jcw

Controversial in that if it was closer, there would be less races for Ferrari to catch up and if abandoned it would protect Mercs lead.

ENGINE TUNER

Pirelli wets are unraceable, aquaplaning galore, too much rain and the sc will lead and win the race. Pirelli has severely hurt F1 racing.

Hoping for a sprinkle but not heavy rain.

GPR-A

f1jcw wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:53
Controversial in that if it was closer, there would be less races for Ferrari to catch up and if abandoned it would protect Mercs lead.
It's as simple as leading by merit, instead of trailing and also getting screwed by weather. There is no controversy if you can't win and lead when it mattered and cry foul because that was the last thing that could screw you.

TAG

f1jcw wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 17:53
Mercedes' lead doesn't need protecting. I think the best Ferrari can claim for the 2019 season is to end it with authority of being the new team in control of the grid and take that knowledge into the winter break as a motivator for 2020. The championships this year are already engraved with the Hamilton/Mercedes Benz name on them.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Manoah2u

langedweil wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 15:16
Typhoon Hagibis is on it's way ...

https://twitter.com/sdietzf1/status/118 ... 38176?s=21
it worries me a bit, last time this happened we lost a driver because the race started despite the bad weather.
now that wasn't neccesarily the problem, but the problem was that because it started so late, it got dark and dangerous at the end of the race and the FIA should have simply red flagged the race much ealier and quite frankly, we wouldn't have to have lost a driver.

let's hope that it doesn't get that bad this time.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

zibby43

izzy wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 09:34
zibby43 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 06:05
This track is packed with the types of corners that the Ferrari hasn't liked this year. This track requires a setup that can cope with all types of corners. Pirelli is also bringing the 3 hardest tire compounds (something else the Ferrari has struggled with).

If they're strong here, then they've entirely transformed their car.
Yes that would finish off the transformation wouldn't it, amazing job if they can do it.

And what about Max?? Jos will be in a massive sulk if Red Bull aren't right there on a circuit like this

It means so much for next year too
I think Suzuka will have the most interesting storylines in a while.

1) What will Merc's upgrades consist of? 2) How will Ferrari perform on the hardest compounds on a circuit with all types of corners? 3) Will Red Bull continue their "average" form?

LM10

I hope for no rain on Saturday to be able to see the current performance levels on a track which puts great demand on the cars regarding high and medium speed downforce in a kind of continuous flow fashion. That's a pretty different one compared to Singapore and Sochi and it's been a track where Mercedes has dominated it's opponents in recent years. With Ferrari's last steps forward and RBR's fuel and ICE upgrades it would be nice to see to which extent they closed the gap to Mercedes.

I wouldn't really mind some rain on Sunday, though.

Big Tea

Ref too wet to race, as long as there has been qualli would they not do a token few laps under the safety car, in start order, then end the race with either half points or just call it nul?

It would be too involved for everyone to have it rescheduled due to the high number of races this year and where all the next ones are, plus no doubt Abu Dhabi were given the promises of last race.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 20:29

1) What will Merc's upgrades consist of? 2) How will Ferrari perform on the hardest compounds on a circuit with all types of corners? 3) Will Red Bull continue their "average" form?
yes new suspension from Mercedes ought to mean something tricky oughtn't it, passive frics kind of direction. Ferrari as you say and Max getting a bit edgy about Charles taking the limelight and where are his championships, and Honda expecting so much from Red Bull and vice-versa... I really hope it's not rained off!

izzy

Big Tea wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 21:28
Ref too wet to race, as long as there has been qualli would they not do a token few laps under the safety car, in start order, then end the race with either half points or just call it nul?

It would be too involved for everyone to have it rescheduled due to the high number of races this year and where all the next ones are, plus no doubt Abu Dhabi were given the promises of last race.
yes they can't reschedule it can they, if it's a bust on Sunday it's a bust, next stop Mexico. i just hope there's not a lot of messing about with the safety car

LM10

izzy wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 22:15
zibby43 wrote:

yes new suspension from Mercedes ought to mean something tricky oughtn't it, passive frics kind of direction. Ferrari as you say and Max getting a bit edgy about Charles taking the limelight and where are his championships, and Honda expecting so much from Red Bull and vice-versa... I really hope it's not rained off!
How do you know it’s going to be passive frics? Any news?

izzy

LM10 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 22:30
oh no, just speculating! They did the original FRICS didn't they and then after that was banned they did the passive one with the hydraulic accumulator, and then that was banned so what next?? I mean it is new...

zibby43

LM10 wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 22:30
izzy wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 22:15
zibby43 wrote:

I believe they're heading in the direction of a non-hydraulic solution with Belleville washers (similar to the RB approach).

Other teams have been seen testing/using this setup recently (believe Renault was one team). I'm guessing the teams are anticipating a comprehensive hydraulic suspension ban (i.e., prohibiting "passive" hydraulic solutions).

iotar__

TAG wrote:
06 Oct 2019, 04:10
This is one of those circuits Hamilton excels at but the Ferrari are going to be tough to beat without a wet race. Leclerc and Hamilton to fight it out once again is my prediction for the weekend.
And so it begins, every damn track is Hamilton's favourite :wink: .
No, it's not, he was outqualified by Rosberg three years in a row. If that's excelling what would you call being quicker?

Speaking of: is Verstappen favourite for pole like in Spa, Singapore and every second track until reality happens?