2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NathanOlder

Re: 2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

iotar__ wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 13:49
NathanOlder wrote:
20 Oct 2019, 15:18
Looking forward to this one! RedBull always been strong, Ferrari will be there or there abouts. Max vs Charles vs Seb. Plus the title race goes to Austin.
Ferrari Q 1-2, MV +0,5s from pole, title race was over 10 GPs ago or before the season.

Mercedes: (one race) "we let them race", (next one) pathetic team orders to keep a place. If you lie like that in a global car market you go to jail like VW folks, in F1 it's normal =P~ .
RedBull always seem strong in Mexico though don't they ? And Ferrari have been strong in every race since the summer break so I feel the line you made bold is a fairly correct piece of info .
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

TAG

I hope now that Ferrari are mathematically out of the hunt, the stewards won't feel obligated to gift their drivers with penalty free weekend regardless of the crap they pull on track.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

Mandrake

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:53
I hope now that Ferrari are mathematically out of the hunt, the stewards won't feel obligated to gift their drivers with penalty free weekend regardless of the crap they pull on track.
Does it hurt so much?

dans79

Mandrake wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 16:58
TAG wrote:
Does it hurt so much?
It sets a very bad precedence!
197 104 103 7

richardn

ubuysa wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 12:19
zibby43 wrote:Mexico is a power unit equalizer. Near Monaco-levels of downforce required here. All thanks to the altitude.

Highest circuit elevation on the calendar.
How will the altitude affect the Mercedes cooling do you think, if at all?

Sent using Tapatalk
Saturday Temp Forecast 21 C
Sunday Temp Forecast 23 C.

Nowhere near as hot as Spielberg was, but over three times the elevation.

TAG

Mandrake wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 16:58
TAG wrote:
Does it hurt so much?
I mean six double championships in a row, I'm sure I'll manage to live with the pain. ;)
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

zibby43

ubuysa wrote:
zibby43 wrote:Mexico is a power unit equalizer. Near Monaco-levels of downforce required here. All thanks to the altitude.

Sent using Tapatalk
Mercedes have had several cooling architecture upgrades since the Austria race, so Mexico will be a big test of those improvements.

I still think they're marginal on cooling, but less so than before.

zibby43

izzy wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:09
ubuysa wrote:
they've had since Austria haven't they, so i'm expecting some new cooling bits (whether they say anything about it or not)
They got their first PU cooling upgrade in Germany. However, the overall issue is a fundamental design problem. They can help mitigate it this year, but they won't be able to fully resolve it. Mexico is the first real test of the upgrades since Austria.

Hamilton supposedly used a LW chassis in Japan. That would've been the second cooling-related upgrade since Germany.

F1Krof

I bet Ferrari will go beyond 370 kmh
Wroom wroom

Wynters

zibby43 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 20:08
ubuysa wrote:

Sent using Tapatalk
Mercedes have had several cooling architecture upgrades since the Austria race, so Mexico will be a big test of those improvements.

I still think they're marginal on cooling, but less so than before.
Agreed. I think they'll still be cautious though. There's no point risking the cost and reputational damage of a blowout when they've no competition. As long as their drivers are on a level playing field against each other, there's little motive to push it.

Capharol

this GP might turn into a disapointment for all of us, not expecting any spectular stuff or any big fights
Red Bull is not a competitor this weekend, so probably no 3rd in a row for Verstappen, and maybe Albon can be a little suprise (better then finish 6th)
Mercedes will thread carefully, maybe even trying to secure Hamiltons 6th WDC if Bottas fails this weekend
the only thing that might be heaten up a bit is the Ferrari-who-is-the-#1-driver issue ... Leclerc might be still be a bit pissed, and vettel wants to show that he still is the #1
for the midfield ..... well McLaren ahead of the rest, and the rest ...... who knows but i think we might see a SC after round 1 (caused by either Grosjean, Perez, Stroll or maybe even Kvyat)

I have to admit though, i am not really excited about the last few races, somehow the real kick (for me) is missing, maybe because things might be to obvious

sprint car76

I'm a race fan that looks forward to every race. Yes i have my favorite driver and team but i look forward to every race.Many of the times i am getting up at 4 AM to watch practise, then qualifying, and finally the race. I have been a fan for 64 yrs, involved in racing for 45 yrs as a builder, owner and helper. If your a real fan it shouldn't matter who's winning or what the rules are. Racing is the last great sport. Cherise it while it is still here you never know when it might end.

ENGINE TUNER

"There are some good overtaking opportunities over the course of the lap, and we've also seen few number of different strategic approaches in the past, as well as quite variable weather conditions.

"The altitude of Mexico City definitely affects the cars and the set-up; and this has a knock-on effect for the tyres as well. Even a high-downforce setting can feel like low downforce, so there can be a lot of sliding.

"Once more, we've brought a harder selection of compounds compared to last year: this should enable drivers to push the tyres to the maximum." - Isola
So the tires are indeed harder than last year(according to pirelli, whatever that is worth). What does that mean in regards to the massive graining that we saw across the field last year? Harder, thinner tires, will that lead to even more graining? Lots of cars struggling to get the tires up to temp but sliding alot causing wear from graining? Should be an interesting weekend.

izzy

zibby43 wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 20:12

They got their first PU cooling upgrade in Germany. However, the overall issue is a fundamental design problem. They can help mitigate it this year, but they won't be able to fully resolve it. Mexico is the first real test of the upgrades since Austria.

Hamilton supposedly used a LW chassis in Japan. That would've been the second cooling-related upgrade since Germany.
They're always marginal in Mexico aren't they, they design the car for the season, to be fast over 21 races, and sacrifice one or two weekends to be fast in the others. Still, i think they realised in Austria they overdid it a bit this year. so i'm waiting to see, a bit nervous but with an open mind. i mean ducts, radiators... in July Shov said (Autosport):
"And that's something that we were a bit optimistic with how much we could get out of the cooling system. It's underdelivered to what we hoped we could achieve,
so although it is fundamental as you say, at the same time it sounds like there is a theoretical model in which the radiators can be enough in their system, if they can make it work to the numbers, with materials or whatever. There is a ridiculous number of radiators, like 27 or something?

AND can the others generate enough downforce to switch this year's tyres on in the thin air?? Lightweight chassis yes, = ballast, most likely on the front. we just watched 2017 and 18 again, and really hoping for Lewis this time...

Hammerfist

I find it very hard to make a prediction. The thin air should equalize the PUs, but only the ICE portion. So if Ferrari has some funny trick going on with their electrical power then that will remain prevalent even at the higher altitude. If their power advantage comes from the ICE output, then it will be somewhat nullified here. Also the thin air should help the draggier Mercedes? Before the summer break I would say the Mercedes would have eaten the Ferrari alive in the third sector, but Ferrari has closed the gap there and they may very well match Merc there. To me it will be a very interesting weekend to watch develop.