2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

Ferrari 1-2 in qualifying and the race. They are going to be uncatchable on the straights. Third in the race? No idea.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

MtthsMlw

Ham wins the WDC:
* If he wins and gets fastest lap, Bottas needs to finish at least third.

* If he wins and does not get fastest lap, Bottas needs to finish at least fourth.

* If he is second (irrespective of fastest lap), Bottas needs to finish seventh or higher

* If he is third and gets fastest lap, Bottas must finish eighth or higher.

* If he is third and does not get fastest lap, Bottas needs to finish ninth, or 10th with the fastest lap.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... e/4563340/

ubuysa

MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 10:35
Ham wins the WDC:

* If he wins and does not get fastest lap, Bottas needs to finish at least fourth.

* If he is second (irrespective of fastest lap), Bottas needs to finish seventh or higher

* If he is third and does not get fastest lap, Bottas needs to finish ninth, or 10th with the fastest lap.

I doubt he'll win the WDC here, but unless Bottas can finish way ahead of him then Lewis may well win it in Austin.

Mandrake

TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 19:26
Mandrake wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 16:58
TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:53
I hope now that Ferrari are mathematically out of the hunt, the stewards won't feel obligated to gift their drivers with penalty free weekend regardless of the crap they pull on track.
Does it hurt so much?
I mean six double championships in a row, I'm sure I'll manage to live with the pain. ;)
Does not seem like it - because despite Penalties and Penalty points being handed out you are still bickering about it two weeks later ;)

And yes you are right. six double championships is a mighty achievement for Mercedes. Hands down the best cars produced in the history of Formula One! I doubt any other manufacturer will be able to produce something similar in the decades to come.

Capharol

ubuysa wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 11:30
MtthsMlw wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 10:35
Ham wins the WDC:

I doubt he'll win the WDC here, but unless Bottas can finish way ahead of him then Lewis may well win it in Austin.
it's even possible to win the WDC ... it could be Vettel or Leclerc wins, Hamilton gets second, Verstappen 3rd, means that one of the Ferrari's can finish ahead of Bottas, which will meaning, he'll finsih 5th .... this way the title goes to Hamilton ....

godlameroso

The championship is pretty much wrapped up, the two long straights aren't enough to make up for the corners. It's also a short lap, and a lot of heavy braking means plenty of KERS regen. I don't think anything will be different, Ferrari and Mercedes will be just out of reach for Red Bull. Perhaps Ferrari can steal the win with the long straight at the start. Weather wise it'll be overcast, there's a chance of rain but it'll be light rain.
Saishū kōnā

foxmulder_ms

Mandrake wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 11:38
TAG wrote:
Mandrake wrote:

Does it hurt so much?
I mean six double championships in a row, I'm sure I'll manage to live with the pain. ;)
Does not seem like it - because despite Penalties and Penalty points being handed out you are still bickering about it two weeks later ;)

And yes you are right. six double championships is a mighty achievement for Mercedes. Hands down the best cars produced in the history of Formula One! I doubt any other manufacturer will be able to produce something similar in the decades to come.
Those "penalties" were joke. What would we be saying if that bit from Lec's car hit Hamilton in the head in a similar fashion to Massa accident?? he could have been in hospital. Lec should have immediately shown orange flag, period. Vettel overstepped start procedures and no one cares. If it was Hamilton the same people who are supporting FIA would have wanted FIA's head.

siskue2005

TAG wrote:
Mandrake wrote:
TAG wrote:
21 Oct 2019, 14:53
I hope now that Ferrari are mathematically out of the hunt, the stewards won't feel obligated to gift their drivers with penalty free weekend regardless of the crap they pull on track.
Does it hurt so much?
burrrrrrnnnn!! :D :D

PlatinumZealot

So Lewis Hamilton's sixth championship has to wait another race then. I don't mind :wink: Consecutive championships in Mexico have been getting a bit boring because the race itself is boring.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

zibby43

James Allison explaining the challenges (both the aerodynamic and PU-related challenges) of running in Mexico.

Mentions that cars with "particularly fine high-downforce package[s]" tend to go well there. I think that Mercedes will perform better than in recent years, so long as their PU can cope. High demands on the cooling components.

richardn

zibby43 wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 04:44
James Allison explaining the challenges (both the aerodynamic and PU-related challenges) of running in Mexico.

Mentions that cars with "particularly fine high-downforce package[s]" tend to go well there. I think that Mercedes will perform better than in recent years, so long as their PU can cope. High demands on the cooling components.

https://streamable.com/ntu2g
On the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50143535 Mercedes are talking down their chances, so you know they're expecting to do well.

The high altitude should reduce Mercedes drag deficit and their higher downforce should help them. I guess it will all come down to how effective the cooling package is at altitude.

ubuysa

richardn wrote:
zibby43 wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 04:44

https://streamable.com/ntu2g
On the BBC website https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/50143535 Mercedes are talking down their chances, so you know they're expecting to do well.

The high altitude should reduce Mercedes drag deficit and their higher downforce should help them. I guess it will all come down to how effective the cooling package is at altitude.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... VjIoq.html

That's an interesting round-up of the challenges teams face in the thinner air of Mexico.

Sent using Tapatalk

izzy

ubuysa wrote:
23 Oct 2019, 11:09
That's an interesting round-up of the challenges teams face in the thinner air of Mexico.
That's a lot of different factors isn't it. Cooling, drag, downforce, turbo burst speed, brakes, electric power... plus everybody's developments.

Mandrake

foxmulder_ms wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 20:24
Mandrake wrote:
22 Oct 2019, 11:38
TAG wrote:

Those "penalties" were joke. What would we be saying if that bit from Lec's car hit Hamilton in the head in a similar fashion to Massa accident?? he could have been in hospital. Lec should have immediately shown orange flag, period.
I am totally with you. LEC shows a habit of totally disobeying any team order whatsoever. The team should maybe have told him there are bits hanging off the car. But the team clearly called him in. I believe there is no defined penalty for a situation like this....so the fine to Ferrari is probably all they could do.

I am convinced however that the failure is with the FIA in general, not with the FIA and Ferrari. In their approach to not intervene too much with the racing they take too long to decide stuff like the orange/black flag