2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
marvin78

Re: 2019 Mexican Grand Prix - Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, 25-27 October

As always, a standing picture is not telling everything as a slow replay does not.

Phil

Capharol wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 16:52
for those still claiming there was no gap or there was no room left for Bottas to go .......

https://i.imgur.com/8BXzi4O.jpg
Given Max’s angle and looking at the corner in question, i’d say Bottas would be carrying more speed throught the corner.

Btw: what happened to the kvyat / hulkenberg incident?

Also, Why wasnt Max penalized for passing a car completely off-track?
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

dans79

Capharol wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 16:52
for those still claiming there was no gap or there was no room left for Bottas to go .......
I just looked through the last 10 pages of this thread, and I see no one claiming their was no gap, or their was no place to go.

Thus you might need to get a grip on yourself, as it seems you are passively aggressively arguing with vapor.
197 104 103 7

izzy

i thought Valtteri was a good part at fault, in as much as I was a bit surprised he didn't see in time. Tho at the same time it was rather Max to try that move, it wasn't exactly bulletproof. Sometimes it'd work and be great, and sometimes it'd ruin his weekend. What proportions? For me, it'd be great maybe 80% of the time, which isn't good odds really, being 1 place vs The End

Capharol

Hamilton said you had to be aware you are racing Verstappen and give him extra space, and alluded to the fact that he isn't the smartest racer. Vettel agreed. And Bottas declared the Red Bull driver came from nowhere in his overtake in the tight stadium section and could blame only himself for the puncture that ruined his race.

In reality, Verstappen's race was actually almost blameless.

Hamilton's notion that Verstappen "torpedoed' him at the start is well wide of the mark.
Actually, it was Hamilton who was bold in trying to pass Verstappen around the outside at the start. Hamilton ended up getting into a massive slide all on his own, and that forced Verstappen off on to the grass at Turn Three, along with the Mercedes.

This wasn't anything more than plain, hard racing. So finger-pointing at Verstappen post-race is just unfair. Verstappen was actually the innocent victim in that incident, which demoted him from his fourth place at the start down to eighth.

From there, Verstappen's move on Bottas consigned him to a race of recovery, but there was nothing wrong with that. It was a lovely overtake and - again - good, hard racing. Yes, it was aggressive, but Bottas has no right to be complaining about it.
and this i put on top .....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50222106

GPR-A

Capharol wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 17:35
and this i put on top .....

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/50222106
Why do I get a feeling that it is Paul Di Resta there and not Palmer? :lol:

Palmer is an idiot when he says Hamilton got a MASSIVE SLIDE, without even understanding that the slide was initiated by Verstappen when he first hit Lewis, which then forced his rear out which Lewis corrected and that causrd the front to touch. As if that was not enough, Verstappen hit on the rear tyre again, which then forced Lewis on grass.

Lewis had every right to attack Verstappen in that corner and it was Verstappen who should have managed the charge, instead he let his car go straight into Lewis rather than making a turn.
Last edited by GPR-A on 29 Oct 2019, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85

Verstappen hit Hamilton first with his rear tyre which caused the damage, I don't know if that caused Hamilton to lose it but it didn't help matters.

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 17:45
Verstappen hit Hamilton first with his rear tyre which caused the damage, I don't know if that caused Hamilton to lose it but it didn't help matters.
as was shown earlier in this thread.
197 104 103 7

Wass85

dans79 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 18:00
Wass85 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/akUWpZ5.gif
The more I see it the more I'm convinced it did cause Hamilton to get his tail out.....

dans79

Wass85 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 18:05
dans79 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 18:00
Wass85 wrote:
https://i.imgur.com/akUWpZ5.gif
The more I see it the more I'm convinced it did cause Hamilton to get his tail out.....
I think the tail out, is from getting pushed onto the AstroTurf, and trying to slow down enough that he doesn't slam into the back of Vettel. I'd need to see the on-boards synced up with the overhead to be able to form a more educated opinion.
197 104 103 7

wesley123

Wass85 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 15:40
wesley123 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 13:34
Wass85 wrote:
28 Oct 2019, 00:14

A trick for what exactly hahahaha, I think you're putting two and two together and making six.
To play others out of a strategy. Give others the idea they can gain on him. Give false tactical information that the other teams might use in strategy calls. The thing is; He had pace in hand and always kept pace in hand, knowing that both Bottas and Leclerc still had to stop. They put in a huge bluff by having Hamilton as the sole one on this strategy; and it worked out perfectly, just like it has done before.
I'm not buying it, was he also putting it on when complaining in Suzuka? Looks like those tactics didn't work out for him there.
Fairly certain the tactic worked very well. Afterall, he was in front. What Japan was was returning the favor for Bottas having to let Hamilton get ahead in Singapore.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

RZS10

I love it when people are wearing so heavily tinted glasses that they end up arguing against factual video evidence ... there were TWO contacts between the two of them (Max' front wheel vs Lewis' front wing and then rear tyre to right rear floor area) when Verstappen tried to push Lewis wide (or maybe just went wide because he lost control, either way, both is on him - Lewis was in full control of his car up until the contact)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buv9xJ5i868

Watch Max' onboard for the tyre/wing contact, tyre/floor is clearly visible from the heli cam

Palmer should maybe watch the replays before writing his columns ...

Oh and driving into the back of Magnussen like a muppet and then overtaking him off track whilst claiming that he turned in on him probably also belonged to the 'blameless' and 'innocent victim' part, eh?

Wonder if the divebomb on Bottas will be in the onboard video, the highlights cut to the scene when he's already side by side...

Jolle

If indeed Verstappen dive bombed Hamilton as he said, it would be the first dive bomb from in front. As I remember, Verstappen was in front and Hamilton was trying to overtake, Verstappen took quite a normal line and even left some space. No reckless driving but more a risky manoeuvre from Hamilton.

izzy

Jolle wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 18:40
If indeed Verstappen dive bombed Hamilton as he said, it would be the first dive bomb from in front. As I remember, Verstappen was in front and Hamilton was trying to overtake, Verstappen took quite a normal line and even left some space. No reckless driving but more a risky manoeuvre from Hamilton.
Max opened his steering, was the initial problem, not leaving space but steering wider to push Lewis off

dans79

Jolle wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 18:40
If indeed Verstappen dive bombed Hamilton as he said, it would be the first dive bomb from in front.
Seriously, where do you guys come up with this stuff?

Lewis said nothing about a dive bomb.
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... YSaKE.html
Q: You said you were expecting a bit of action from Max early on in the race. Talk us through those opening corners?

LH: I actually got a really good start, so I was pulling up to Charles and Seb is coming across, coming across, coming across and I’m thinking ‘I’m on the white line, I don’t have anywhere further to go’. And he just keeps coming. So I had to avoid crashing with him, going on the grass. Avoid his wheels as well, otherwise I could have caused a big collision for him. Then I was surrounded by a bunch of cars, I braked into Turn 1, and all of a sudden Max is alongside me. If you’ve seen races before, I always leave Max a lot of space – it’s the smartest thing you can do. But there wasn’t a lot of space to give him space. I think he had an oversteer moment or something and then I got a massive hit from behind. Then I nearly took him out… SV: He hit you? LH: Yeah. We were going through the corner, you were about to go into Turn 2, my back end came out and I nearly took you out and then we went straight over the grass. It was hair-raising. SV: Ah, that’s why there was such a big gap and there was Albon all of a sudden… LH: Yeah, me and Max went through the grass together, came out and there were other cars coming by. I thought I was going to get hit by other cars. But I managed to get my bearings and keep my head down. I was not expecting to have that pace and to be able to keep up with the Ferraris but it worked and even with a damaged car. Obviously Seb went a lot further and I think so did Valtteri, he did a fantastic job to come from sixth. I thought I was going to struggle at the end with Seb, with 10-lap younger tyres. SV: More than 10. Was it just 10? LH: Maybe more than 10. But I just managed to save enough in the early phase while he was doing that long run, which I was able to utilise. Particularly those last seven laps were the important ones and I kept him behind.
197 104 103 7