2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
f1316

Re: 2019 United States Grand Prix - Austin, 1-3 November

I think this is the least likely Ferrari pole of the remaining races - yes, some long straights but I expect a very strong Mercedes through the esses, and there’s a lot of time to be won and lost there.

Obviously we’ve also seen in all of the last three races how Ferrari can turn a 1-2 into a loss, so even if they are strong in quali, the race pace still seems firmly in Mercedes favour; I think the extremely low deg in Russia meant Ferrari’s race pace was much stronger, but that was a bit of a false dawn as everywhere else deg is much higher and they really suffer compared to Mercedes/RB.

saviour stivala

auv wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 12:39
COTA and Mexico circuit have a lot of similarities. If RB and Max were able to put the best time in Mexico, they are supposed to be strong here as well. At least in terms of chassis side.
On the other side, normal atmo pressure is back, and Merc may unleash more power :!:

Any track similarities ends with the thin air of Mexico. Which makes the tracks as dissimilar as could be racing wise. The thin air of Mexico effects everybody more or less the same engine output wise. But not so chassis wise. Those like Red Bull that can add more downforce than others are effected much less because while the downforce pays ‘some’ drag pays ‘much less’ in thin air. That was the most part why Red Bull was so good in Mexico. Next Sunday Red Bull will be back where it belongs. Both chassis and engine wise.

NathanOlder

f1316 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:18
I think this is the least likely Ferrari pole of the remaining races - yes, some long straights but I expect a very strong Mercedes through the esses, and there’s a lot of time to be won and lost there.
I would agree with you, but we saw a Ferrari front row in Japan, with all those esses, 1 big straight, I guess COTA has a couple more slow speed speed corners though. But I still think Ferrari will be favorites for saturday.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Phil

The gap in the WDC is currently 74 points. After CotA, there will be 52 points remaining.

Bottas therefore needs to gain 23 points on Lewis to remain mathematically in the championship.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wynters

Vettel and Leclerc will be pretty motivated after losing in Mexico. They've got a great car and, even if Mercedes are close enough to challenge, Hamilton will just want to finish the race. I expect Ferrari to be celebrating a win this weekend.

Also worth bearing in mind that there are only 6 points separating the Ferrari drivers and I think that'll be quite significant in terms of motivation.

Capharol

marvin78 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 10:17
I forgot to say that we in Germany and in some other central EU countries would like to be the summer time the only time (which ist nonsens, I know). WE in Europe mostly want to get rid of the change in time. Personally I don't care.

But that is really off topic.
so you are speaking for me and some other central EU countries?
although i might have (which i do btw) an other opinion?

USGP gonna be fun again hopefully last year i think it was a good race

marvin78

Capharol wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:07
marvin78 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 10:17
I forgot to say that we in Germany and in some other central EU countries would like to be the summer time the only time (which ist nonsens, I know). WE in Europe mostly want to get rid of the change in time. Personally I don't care.

But that is really off topic.
so you are speaking for me and some other central EU countries?
although i might have (which i do btw) an other opinion?
No I don't. And you can read that from my post. People were asked and I summarized part of the results (which and that is important to know, are not representative from my perspective). It's pretty clear that it's not the opinion of every individual. But in this forums it's normal that it is hard for some people to break through the black and white thinking.

izzy

Wynters wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:05
Vettel and Leclerc will be pretty motivated after losing in Mexico. They've got a great car and, even if Mercedes are close enough to challenge, Hamilton will just want to finish the race. I expect Ferrari to be celebrating a win this weekend.

Also worth bearing in mind that there are only 6 points separating the Ferrari drivers and I think that'll be quite significant in terms of motivation.
Yes the Ferraris will both be sooo desperate to win won't they. Max will be mad. But Lewis can just go for it as actually a dnf doesn't matter

Wynters

izzy wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:32
Wynters wrote:

Yes the Ferraris will both be sooo desperate to win won't they. Max will be mad. But Lewis can just go for it as actually a dnf doesn't matter
For Hamilton, that's certainly a possibility. I suspect he'll have been very badly scarred by 2007 though and will just want the WDC in the bag. I hope I'm wrong. It'd be great to see a three (hopefully four)-way battle at the front.

It's a sign of how great a job Verstappen has done that, despite being in the RBR, he's only a few points off both of the Ferrari drivers. If he'd had a clean weekend in Mexico, it'd be desperately close for 3rd in the standings. He'll also be super-motivated.

The drag up the hill, plenty of lines into T1...can't wait!

izzy

Wynters wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:38
izzy wrote:
For Hamilton, that's certainly a possibility. I suspect he'll have been very badly scarred by 2007 though and will just want the WDC in the bag. I hope I'm wrong. It'd be great to see a three (hopefully four)-way battle at the front.

It's a sign of how great a job Verstappen has done that, despite being in the RBR, he's only a few points off both of the Ferrari drivers. If he'd had a clean weekend in Mexico, it'd be desperately close for 3rd in the standings. He'll also be super-motivated.

I'm so glad I'm not Dutch lol, gorgeous country but Max would be driving me mad!! If only he could do clean weekends! Such a talent but

Lewis, there's a clip somewhere of Ron in 2008 having a grin in China FP when Lewis has just deliberately slightly overdone the pitlane entry :)) i think he's well over it

dans79

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:54
f1316 wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 11:18
I would agree with you, but we saw a Ferrari front row in Japan, with all those esses, 1 big straight, I guess COTA has a couple more slow speed speed corners though. But I still think Ferrari will be favorites for saturday.
It's been hinted the winds hurt the Merc more in Japan than the Ferrari.
197 104 103 7

ENGINE TUNER

Wass85 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 00:19
TAG wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 00:11
The only Tilke circuit I enjoy.
How I miss the Turkish GP......
I miss Sapang even more

3jawchuck

There is currently legislation in the EU system to do away with the summer/winter time changes. If it goes through, Europeans could see the whole thing abolished by 2021 or so.

As it happens, the majority of nations in the world do not observe the practise.

Sorry for the off topic. How about a wildly inaccurate prediction for the race ahead?

BOT, VER, LEC, Hamilton and Vettel collide and retire, racing indecent, which keeps Bottas' slim hopes alive.
Last edited by 3jawchuck on 30 Oct 2019, 15:20, edited 1 time in total.

Wass85

ENGINE TUNER wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 14:46
Wass85 wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 00:19
TAG wrote:
29 Oct 2019, 00:11
The only Tilke circuit I enjoy.
How I miss the Turkish GP......
I miss Sapang even more
No, for me it can't compete with Istanbul Park.

El Scorchio

Wynters wrote:
30 Oct 2019, 12:38
izzy wrote:
Wynters wrote:

I think Hamilton doesn't even have to score a single point more. Even if he DNFs 3 times on the bounce, Bottas isn't going to win all three remaining races. However, I don't think he'll want to celebrate the championship from the garage after a DNF, or from a non podium position. So I think he'll be throw caution to the wind, be pretty racy and want to mark winning the Championship with a victory at one of his favourite tracks.