2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
izzy

Re: 2019 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, 29 - 1 November/December

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 19:43
The power boost allowed them to strap on extra down-force.. now they have had to take it off again, which has lead to them being 0.7 sec slower in sector 3 alone. The video shows that they are fast in straights like they have always been since the season start, but they are nowhere as strong in straight sectors like they used to be after the summer break.. but now they are less fast in straight sectors (just fractionally) and massively slower in corners which indicate that they have taken off their downforce to compensate power loss.
i don't know, I mean they know this track and their car, they have all kinds of data, it's not a sensible trade-off to have made it deliberately. These are pretty slow corners after all, i think it's more likely their concept just doesn't stretch this far whatever they do. FIA have pretty much given up the investigation until next year, so why wouldn't Ferrari leave it on, whatever it is and if it exists? Piero right there in the garage

LionKing

dans79 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 19:26
LM10 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 18:35
Ferrari smashes the opponent in the acceleration phases like before.
Not like they used to, because they used to gain a lot more than they did today.
From the video, Ferrari gains a lot during straights.
I think, I saw three different straight sections in which they gained 3 tenths on one and 2 tenths on the other two.

Sevach

Ferrari seems to still be pulling multiple car lenghts down the straight, but their chassis is working so bad that they lose everything in a single corner, the difference is huge like it's a mid grid team.
Why that wasn't the case in Singapore or Sochi is the question.

Singapore could be because bumps hurt Mercedes more...

As has been pointed out, FIA issued a clarification(one that was frankly obvious) but didn't change anything in their sensors yet, so even if that is what Ferrari is/was doing would they drop it in a "oh i didn't think bypassing the sensors was illegal, my bad".

Capharol

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 18:17
Capharol wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 17:56
funny where were the Ferrari's 🤔🙈
In Austin Ferrari were slower because they ran more downforce, in Brazil it was the height and more downforce and now it’s because they ran with less downforce . They’re running out of excuses.
i know, they did that already at Brazil.... i have my opinion (It's the same as yours) on the why, but these isn't shared by all and these still seek for an excuse
Last edited by Capharol on 30 Nov 2019, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.

Just_a_fan

If the Ferraris are as quick on the straight in the race as they were in qualifying, they will be looking at an overtake in the first lap. One of them could be in the lead by the end of lap 1.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Juzh

Last edited by Juzh on 30 Nov 2019, 21:21, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

Wouter wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 19:19
MtthsMlw wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 19:08

One can make up their mind after watching this.
https://streamable.com/ebzx0
Thanks for sharing. Nice to see.
But only gaining a tenth and a half on a straight instead of 5 tenths is what's making the difference.

The biggest straight on the track Leclerc was 1 tenth up on the exit of the hairpin, and never made it to 3 tenths up. so 0.180 maybe. With that performance on the straight, they would never ever get anywhere near merc in Singapore. but.....
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

Morteza

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

MtthsMlw

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 21:12
Wouter wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

But only gaining a tenth and a half on a straight instead of 5 tenths is what's making the difference.

The biggest straight on the track Leclerc was 1 tenth up on the exit of the hairpin, and never made it to 3 tenths up. so 0.180 maybe. With that performance on the straight, they would never ever get anywhere near merc in Singapore. but.....
I see half a tenth on finish line to turn one, 1 tenth through the flat out turn 2,3, and 4, around 3.8 tenths on the two long straights combined. Overall ~5.3 tenths.

In Singapore we have >0.25 tenths on the pit straight, 1.25 on Raffles Boulevard, 0.5 from turn 9 to 10, then actually loosing 0.5 on the second DRS straight - overall we are at >2 tenths gained there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u--yM2UY4tQ

Leclerc was on Pole in Singapore because he was faster in many corners as well, whereas here he's only really faster in the hairpin. That's simply not enough.
I don't see any drop of in straight line performance.
Last edited by MtthsMlw on 30 Nov 2019, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.

LM10

NathanOlder wrote:
Wouter wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

https://streamable.com/hilmj

Watch this video. That’s the mini sector comparison in Russia. I don’t see a difference in the way Ferrari gains under acceleration and on the straights compared to Abu Dhabi. The only difference is that in Russia Leclerc didn’t lose in the corners (except S3), but in Abu Dhabi Ferrari lost massively in every corner.
I don’t know why. But PU performance would be one of the last things I would think about when talking about cornering.

jumpingfish

NathanOlder wrote:
Wouter wrote:
MtthsMlw wrote:

Why do you think Mercedes/RB/Ferrari parameters are constant during whole the season? W10 was slower in Brazil, but looks faster in Abu-Dhabi. RB15 sometimes faster than other cars, sometimes slower, for everybody it is absolutely normal things during racing weekends, everyone talking about smaller or bigger turbocharger, altitude above the sea level, no one says: haha, look, Directives slowed them down. But why if Ferrari slower or faster - it is only cheat-mode on/off? WHY no one thinking about turbo sizes, wings sizes, balance between downforce and straightline speeds, tyres management?
How can you compare, for example, SF90 in Monza or in Spa vs SF90 in Abu-Dhabi and waiting same advantage on straights? Is it the same car with the same tyres, same balance, wings settings or maybe Yas-Marina circuit has same corners, air temperatures, same distance, tyre degradation?
Only 1 comparison arm chair experts can do to see TD influence: if Ferrari, RB and Mercedes bring the versions of their car those were in Singapore and run qualy mode only in Singapore. To compare Monza - go to Italy with W10, SF90 and RB15 in Monza version. But it is not enough, the weather must be the same, traffic, fuel level, drivers, atmospheric pressure, wind direction and speed - everything must be the same. Only after that you can tell if TD slowed Ferrari on straights.

Snorked

According to amus / Red Bull engineer , their peak power deficit has been reduced to 15kW since the TDs, before it was around 40kW

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... t-redbull/

TAG

Occam's Razor: The simpler explanation is the most likely.
Tifosi Razor: The most complex explanation is the most likely.
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत

dans79

LM10 wrote:
30 Nov 2019, 22:03
I don’t know why. But PU performance would be one of the last things I would think about when talking about cornering.
If you lost power for one reason or another the simplest and most feasible way to compensate for that this late into the season is to remove downforce and thus reduce drag. That will have a very direct impact on the car's cornering ability.
197 104 103 7

godlameroso

Looks like Verstappen lost out in the chicanes and the high speed corners, but couldn't make anything up in the straights, and Hamilton almost matched him on braking. It could have been maybe a tenth closer, but it looks like Hamilton is going to win this unless Mercedes bungles up in the pits or with strategy. As it is, he's a few tenths faster than Verstappen so even if Verstappen does everything perfect he will only keep pace at best. Maybe traffic can play into his hands as there will likely be lapped cars getting in the way.
Saishū kōnā