F1 To replace canceled or postponed GP's with Virtual ones .

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Re: F1 To replace canceled or postponed GP's with Virtual ones .

izzy wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 16:18
“Instead”... They are not replacing anything... It’s a simple way to provide content for the fans... There can’t be any races, so between this and having some historical races transmitted, there isn’t a lot else that they can do.
afaics they could have an entire real F1 season at Silverstone. Take over a hotel, like the Whittlebury Park (which is probably empty) get the minimal race teams there, isolated, tested and quarantined, and the FoM camera crews, and run 10 or 20 races. They could keep it interesting by making the drivers swap teams, 1 or 2 races with every team. Very safe, very watchable, super genuine wdc and wcc

i don't think it's true they're helpless, unless anyone can see something i'm missing
Simply put, they have to try and get as many of the original scheduled races in... A big portion of F1’s revenue is due to the fees paid by the different promoters, if they would run all the races in Silverstone, is Silverstone going to be a fee for every race? Is there enough public to attend the race every weekend and pay for the cost of the ticket?

That’s why they are forced to try to get them in their original venues... With Team expecting hundreds of millions in regards to Championship bonus and Distribution, not receiving the fees for each race would most probably bankrupt more than half of the field... So, even though it would be “entertaining” for us fans to be able to have actual races to watch, it could mean having a 2021 season with very few cars on the grid... And for the few that could afford to keep racing despite massive losses in 2020, will it have any appeal to race against 4-5 teams? It probably wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

izzy
izzy

SmallSoldier wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 20:53
Simply put, they have to try and get as many of the original scheduled races in... A big portion of F1’s revenue is due to the fees paid by the different promoters, if they would run all the races in Silverstone, is Silverstone going to be a fee for every race? Is there enough public to attend the race every weekend and pay for the cost of the ticket?

That’s why they are forced to try to get them in their original venues... With Team expecting hundreds of millions in regards to Championship bonus and Distribution, not receiving the fees for each race would most probably bankrupt more than half of the field... So, even though it would be “entertaining” for us fans to be able to have actual races to watch, it could mean having a 2021 season with very few cars on the grid... And for the few that could afford to keep racing despite massive losses in 2020, will it have any appeal to race against 4-5 teams? It probably wouldn’t.
yes true it just depends if we think they're going to get races with paying spectators this year. Personally i don't see any reason to think they will, so yes the 20x Silverstone idea would be a fallback and a big loss, as F1 would have to pay the circuit i think, but a big loss is better than a total loss, which i think is what's going to happen one weekend at a time while they keep hoping

Cos that way they could still have the TV money and sponsor income at least

For the teams, then they'd still get prize money and sponsor payments, and the small teams could see what happens with a top driver in their car, and vice versa. I think all 10 teams would go for it, with prize money and sponsor exposure, why not. And they get to try their new cars. And if a proper race did become possible somewhere they could still go for it

the EDGE
the EDGE

Wass85 wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 17:22
I wish I had a rig so I could have a blast, isn't Verstappen one of the best in the world at sim racing?
Max plays for fun but he’s not bad... Lando too

Watch this if you want to see them race each other... there’s 2 races both with qualifying first

the EDGE
the EDGE

Lando & Max both racing 20:30 tonight live

https://www.twitch.tv/landonorris/ - (onboard with Lando)

NathanOlder

izzy wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 16:58
Marc.W wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 16:15
Wrestling with a 20nm wheel for 3 hours definitely burned some calories, my t-shirt was damp afterwards
well look i'm not putting it down :) just saying it's not really counting as exercise on its own. You get hot cos you're indoors and your brain burns calories and it's stressing. 20nm is the maximum on your rig? That's 2kg/m or say 6kg at the rim and your arms weigh about 4kg probably and it's probably never at that peak and only any significant level for a small portion of the lap. Lift one arm a bit and the other will turn the wheel on its own. So @kimetic's point is working the muscles you use to breathe to get them fit and strong for if your lungs fill up with fluid, and gaming isn't going to do that is it? We need to go for a run, and that'll burn up the adrenaline and fats as well
If you turned the DD1 up to max torque, and turned everything up to max torque within the game , I guarantee you wont be able to do more than 25% race distance. The force is unbelievable, I'm a fit and healthy 35yr old man, I'm 80KG, and 5ft 11. I play plenty of sports, I have the settings at about 30% torque and it still makes my arms ache each time. I started at 20% in January, and race regularly and I am slowly upping the force. I do Karting monthly, and I ache more after I race on my rig when I dare to put the feedback up to 50%. Last night I did Silverstone in my league, and we have practice, full qualy and 50% race distance. Probably did a total of about 55 laps over 2 hours, so similar to a full race but with some 2min breaks in between sessions. I have my sim room at 15'c and I still sweat my A$$ off!
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder

As for the Sunday night race in Bahrain, I'd just like to add that my league did Bahrain about 6 weeks ago, my Pole position time was 1.27.261 . The pole position time set by Phillip Eng on sunday was a 1.27.629 8)

Although I didnt have the pace to win the race, P2 wasn't bad.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

izzy
izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 09:50
izzy wrote:
Marc.W wrote:
21 Mar 2020, 16:15
Wrestling with a 20nm wheel for 3 hours definitely burned some calories, my t-shirt was damp afterwards
well look i'm not putting it down :) just saying it's not really counting as exercise on its own. You get hot cos you're indoors and your brain burns calories and it's stressing. 20nm is the maximum on your rig? That's 2kg/m or say 6kg at the rim and your arms weigh about 4kg probably and it's probably never at that peak and only any significant level for a small portion of the lap. Lift one arm a bit and the other will turn the wheel on its own. So @kimetic's point is working the muscles you use to breathe to get them fit and strong for if your lungs fill up with fluid, and gaming isn't going to do that is it? We need to go for a run, and that'll burn up the adrenaline and fats as well
If you turned the DD1 up to max torque, and turned everything up to max torque within the game , I guarantee you wont be able to do more than 25% race distance. The force is unbelievable, I'm a fit and healthy 35yr old man, I'm 80KG, and 5ft 11. I play plenty of sports, I have the settings at about 30% torque and it still makes my arms ache each time. I started at 20% in January, and race regularly and I am slowly upping the force. I do Karting monthly, and I ache more after I race on my rig when I dare to put the feedback up to 50%. Last night I did Silverstone in my league, and we have practice, full qualy and 50% race distance. Probably did a total of about 55 laps over 2 hours, so similar to a full race but with some 2min breaks in between sessions. I have my sim room at 15'c and I still sweat my A$$ off!
Oh okay fair enough i stand corrected! That's quite serious. And respect for that Bahrain time :)

NathanOlder

izzy wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:25
NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 09:50
izzy wrote:

Oh okay fair enough i stand corrected! That's quite serious. And respect for that Bahrain time :)
Thanks :) If your ever in Kent, feel free to drop by and have a go for yourself mate.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 10:01
As for the Sunday night race in Bahrain, I'd just like to add that my league did Bahrain about 6 weeks ago, my Pole position time was 1.27.261 . The pole position time set by Phillip Eng on sunday was a 1.27.629 8)

You did that with default set up and auto ERS mode? That's what these races are being run with - so the drivers with no experience of a particular games physics aren't at a disadvantage with the weird setup quirks.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

izzy
izzy

NathanOlder wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 12:02
Thanks :) If your ever in Kent, feel free to drop by and have a go for yourself mate.
Thanks! i'm in Norfolk but if ever i'm coming down i'll take you up on that

RZS10

Max going in too hot, losing the car and taking out Norris was such a Max thing to do ... lol ... same goes for coming together with another driver into the last corners
Wass85 wrote:
23 Mar 2020, 17:22
isn't Verstappen one of the best in the world at sim racing?
Nah ... real drivers are nowhere close to alien level sim racers most of the time ... a bunch of GT3 drivers ask those sim racers for setups for races etc

Pyrone89

RZS10 wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 17:26
Max going in too hot, losing the car and taking out Norris was such a Max thing to do ... lol ... same goes for coming together with another driver into the last corners
Not really.
True GOATs don’t need the help of superior material to win.

Tom Brady, Usain Bolt are true GOATs.

RZS10

Oh yeah my bad there's no similar irl incidents of him being involved in any such things /s
Last edited by RZS10 on 24 Mar 2020, 19:20, edited 1 time in total.

NathanOlder

jjn9128 wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 14:00
NathanOlder wrote:

You did that with default set up and auto ERS mode? That's what these races are being run with - so the drivers with no experience of a particular games physics aren't at a disadvantage with the weird setup quirks.
The ERS is set to full in qualifying so not an issue, as for the setups, the default setups (there are 5 to choose from) are easily good enough for qualifying. To back that up, there is always default setups in the top 50 in the Time Trial leaderboards. The custom setups help a lot in races in terms of tyre life ect.

Working against me was the fact we did full qualifying, so only had enough time for 2 runs like in real life. On the tv they had 18min qualifying, so an extra run was available. Plus they were allowed assists where as we use none at all.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

NathanOlder wrote:
jjn9128 wrote:
24 Mar 2020, 14:00
NathanOlder wrote:

The ERS is set to full in qualifying so not an issue, as for the setups, the default setups (there are 5 to choose from) are easily good enough for qualifying. To back that up, there is always default setups in the top 50 in the Time Trial leaderboards. The custom setups help a lot in races in terms of tyre life ect.

Working against me was the fact we did full qualifying, so only had enough time for 2 runs like in real life. On the tv they had 18min qualifying, so an extra run was available. Plus they were allowed assists where as we use none at all.
Aren’t you able to improve your car in F1-2019? That lap is great regardless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk