2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Sevach

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

Sevach, i have no idea what you are arguing here. I was never the guy to say that the defender can do everything and get away with it. For example, if Hamilton had purposely let his car drift towards the outside by releasing his steering wheel or did a Rosberg, my opinion would be very different. As it is however and judging by the onboards, Hamilton did everything possible to keep his line and not collide while the car on the outside with superior tires and grip AND ability to take a slightly wider line (aka leave more space) did not.

It’s a pity how such a good maneuver gets ruined by the excessive debate how who left a bit more space or didnt. In the end, it was a good example of “racing incident”, no penalty required. Quite frankly, we want more racing, less micro managing. Hamilton was no more wrong for using his line than Albon was entitled to take a risk around the outside. Why can’t we just leave it at that? (Points finger at the stewards for giving a pointless punishment).

If anything, i hate the inconsistency. I dont even care about what happened at another race under the supervision of different stewards, but if Hamilton gets a 5s for THAT, where is Albons for the race 1 incident? Norris? Etc etc etc.

I fricking well expect more from F1.
My point is quite simple, Hamilton made a mistake, not a huge mistake, not a dirty move... a mistake.
And the punishment for his mistake was quite fair.

It's pointless to point out that in the moment of impact there's room to the left, Albon is on a trajectory that is taking him to the edges of the track, he just hasn't got there yet... similar case to Max at Suzuka.
Hamilton's trajectory isn't tight enough, slight miscalculation, but still his... "he is committed", "he tried to avoid it"... those don't change the fact that his trajectory barged into Albon's did run wide into Albon's (entitled to be there).

The reason i think there should be a penalty for this is to make sure people respect the guy trying to drive around the outside in the future and i do hate the inconsistency too.

foxmulder_ms

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:30
My point is quite simple, Hamilton made a mistake, not a huge mistake, not a dirty move... a mistake.
And the punishment for his mistake was quite fair.

It's pointless to point out that in the moment of impact there's room to the left, Albon is on a trajectory that is taking him to the edges of the track, he just hasn't got there yet... similar case to Max at Suzuka.
Hamilton's trajectory isn't tight enough, slight miscalculation, but still his... "he is committed", "he tried to avoid it"... those don't change the fact that his trajectory barged into Albon's did run wide into Albon's (entitled to be there).

The reason i think there should be a penalty for this is to make sure people respect the guy trying to drive around the outside in the future and i do hate the inconsistency too.

Watch i again. It was actually speed of the Albon which caused the crush. He had so much better traction... Neither made a mistake. It just happened. so racing incident.

Just_a_fan

McMika98 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:34
Its time for a change of guard. The likes of Vettel and Hamilton are past it, full of misjudgement and errors. The new blood from F2 know how to race side by side with respect. Also they don't need the artificial DRS to overtake.
Yay, trolling so early in the season.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

wesley123

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:43
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:41
Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:38

Because the guy on the inside, didn't leave space and bumped him, he got punished for it.
Albon had space. He didn't use all of it.
Only if you think overtakes should be completed on the astroturf, Albon was on the curbs already.
Except he wasn't on the curbs.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

nacho

For me it was a racing accident. Hamilton didn't squeeze him, there was plenty of space for Albon.

Phil

Sevach wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:30

I understand your point and agree that there are many cases where the defending driver is taking too many liberties and getting away with it. Having said that, i think it’s also important to consider which driver was in a position to avoid contact and who initiated contact.

I also applaud ‘smart racing’. Some moves are inherently risky. Putting your nose into a closing gap for example. Or sticking it around the outside of a car on old tires. If you do that move as a racing driver, you are accepting some level of risk and IMO must be prepared to either back out or live with the consequence.

Albon is young and new and with more experience, i’m certain he’d leave just a little more space or be willing to back out, just as Hamilton was smart enough to do on lap 1.

You also mentioned “grey zone” before in regards to pushing a driver out - this precisely makes it difficult to police every single incident. The car in front, aka the defending driver, always has an inherent advantage by position. It would be wrong to give more power to an ovetaker by being able to dictate racing lines, especially when on the outside. We want more overtaking, but we also dont want drivers to give up their position without putting up a fight.

I wish Albon would have been a little smarter/careful, because if he had, we may be applauding his first race win instead of arguing about a pointless incident caused by a mere oversight of ~10cm.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Mattyw

Phil wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 21:17
Sevach, i have no idea what you are arguing here. I was never the guy to say that the defender can do everything and get away with it. For example, if Hamilton had purposely let his car drift towards the outside by releasing his steering wheel or did a Rosberg, my opinion would be very different. As it is however and judging by the onboards, Hamilton did everything possible to keep his line and not collide while the car on the outside with superior tires and grip AND ability to take a slightly wider line (aka leave more space) did not.

It’s a pity how such a good maneuver gets ruined by the excessive debate how who left a bit more space or didnt. In the end, it was a good example of “racing incident”, no penalty required. Quite frankly, we want more racing, less micro managing. Hamilton was no more wrong for using his line than Albon was entitled to take a risk around the outside. Why can’t we just leave it at that? (Points finger at the stewards for giving a pointless punishment).

If anything, i hate the inconsistency. I dont even care about what happened at another race under the supervision of different stewards, but if Hamilton gets a 5s for THAT, where is Albons for the race 1 incident? Norris? Etc etc etc.

I fricking well expect more from F1.
Spot on.
Had hoped it would have ended here!

wesley123

Wynters wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:46
I assume Norris didn't get a penalty for punting Perez out of the way, despite being behind through the whole corner? If he didn't, does someone want to explain exactly what the rule is?
I thought the same thing when first seeing it, but when the whole overtake was shown it was clear to me that it was Perez at fault. He left the door wide open, Norris hit the apex and made the corner perfectly. It was Perez driving into him.

siskue2005

wesley123 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:01
Wynters wrote:
I assume Norris didn't get a penalty for punting Perez out of the way, despite being behind through the whole corner? If he didn't, does someone want to explain exactly what the rule is?
I thought the same thing when first seeing it, but when the whole overtake was shown it was clear to me that it was Perez at fault. He left the door wide open, Norris hit the apex and made the corner perfectly. It was Perez driving into him.
So with that logic in Brazil 2019 it was Albons fault that Lewis hit him? Coz albon left the door wide open?

NathanOlder

Do we have Albons onboard of the incident ?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

RZS10

weirdly not ... probably wouldn't support their own decision

MtthsMlw

On F1 TV Albon's onboard is broken.

NathanOlder

So once it becomes available, Mercedes can protest and get it overturned. Sorted.
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:40
So once it becomes available, Mercedes can protest and get it overturned. Sorted.
LOL

Cracking race nonetheless.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

wesley123

siskue2005 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:04
wesley123 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:01
Wynters wrote:
So with that logic in Brazil 2019 it was Albons fault that Lewis hit him? Coz albon left the door wide open?
I don't think they really compare, a big difference being that Lando was essentially already past Perez.

Perhaps both moves are equally opportunistic, with Lewis vs. Albon Lewis was only partially next to him, with Norris vs. Perez Lando was already fully next to him when Perez closed the door.