2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moore77

Re: 2020 Austrian Grand Prix - Spielberg, 3-5 July

The race threads are always a sh¡t storm whenever an incident happens. Even some of the most experienced people here are battling it out is so amusing. Neither party changes their opinion and yet, arguments goes on for tens and tens of pages. Each party is repeating same thing in different words with same outcome, disagreement.

My takeaway from the season start is, why the heck teams go to winter testing? Nobody pushes the car to find out the reliability of the components. Come first race of the season, loads of issues in just a handful of laps. They should scrap the winter testing altogether and give teams one single day of private testing to map out the track to wind tunnel correlation. Other than that, it's totally useless 6 days of procession.

Winter testing is useless for fans too. We get no idea of the pecking order. Same old farts who call themselves experts stand on a side of the circuit proclaiming "Red Bull is the most planted car", every season.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Ringleheim

Turned out to be a very exciting race for a couple of reasons.

First, tons of unreliability, which we normally don't see. It always makes races more interesting IMO when cars drop out with problems. We got a ton of that today.

Second, all the safety cars! It prevented Mercedes from running away and hiding as they should have done. At one point in the race, very early on, LeClerc was like 35 seconds behind the leader! He would never have ended up 2nd without the safety cars keeping the field close the entire race.

My takeaway is that aside from maybe Verstappen on a good day, no one in the field can give battle to the Mercedes. The Ferraris are total dogs. I mean absolute pigs. The action will come from the midfield all year long, and that seems to be pretty darned close.

Bottas seems like a new man. Divorced, new woman in his life, renewed energy. If he can substantially raise his game and compete with Hamilton hard, race in and race out, as he did today, it could be for a somewhat interesting season in terms of seeing which Mercedes driver takes the championship.

I don't think next week at the same track will be nearly as exciting, as the factors mentioned likely won't repeat.

Ringleheim

zeph wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 20:05
To me it looked like a racing incident, unfortunate for Albon, but his attempt looked a bit over-optimistic.

But maybe there is a belief that weighing Hamilton down like this will create a more exciting championship?

Anyway, not a bad race, but I do feel the SC’s were all unnecessary. It is clear they are deployed now for anything and everything, just to close up the pack and start the race afresh, essentially.

Ferrari’s race pace doesn’t look too bad. Not sure what happened in quali yesterday. And McLaren has looked strong all weekend, that’s good for the sport, but both a blessing and a curse for Renault.
Ferrari's race pace was horrible! Both Ferraris got all kinds of help in this race that will normally not happen. Neither car was able to do much of anything without help the entire race.

Moore77

Ringleheim wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 05:27
Bottas seems like a new man. Divorced, new woman in his life, renewed energy. If he can substantially raise his game and compete with Hamilton hard, race in and race out, as he did today, it could be for a somewhat interesting season in terms of seeing which Mercedes driver takes the championship.
It would be good if Bottas really does hold off Hamilton this season. But this was the same situation after first race last year! Bottas 2.0 turned out to be a dud last year. This is Austria, which is Hamilton's bogey circuit. Since it's return, anyone who wins the Austrian GP, doesn't win the WDC championship. We already saw Bottas losing tyre life when Hamilton pulled out almost 5 seconds off from his lead in a handful of laps. Bottas still cannot manage tyres in races and with additional downforce this year, the tyres (same as last year) are going to be even more loaded in races causing more wear. If not for the early Penalty, SC drama, Bottas would have been in serious trouble in the race.

Luck was on his side this weekend. His mistake triggered the situation that brought penalty for Hamilton in qualifying. Mercedes made an error in judgement for not having changed the tyres in the SC situation and RB pulled a fast one with Albon that created a situation where Albon and Hamilton incident occurred. If Hamilton would have not defended Albon, Bottas would have lost the race. So, not just that the incident happened, but once again Hamilton got a penalty and saved the race for Bottas with Albon's elimination.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

dans79

Moore77 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 06:15
We already saw Bottas losing tyre life when Hamilton pulled out almost 5 seconds off from his lead in a handful of laps. Bottas still cannot manage tyres in races and with additional downforce this year, the tyres (same as last year) are going to be even more loaded in races causing more wear. If not for the early Penalty, SC drama, Bottas would have been in serious trouble in the race.
Don't mention that on social media. I did that earlier today, And got attacked by the typical lowbrow fan who understands nothing about the sport.
197 104 103 7

hudnut

Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:02
hudnut wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:01
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 16:54

He had lock applied all the way, never unwound the lock. So how is he supposed to give space? If you go around the outside, you put yourself in danger at the exit.
Brakes.
Albon's rear tyre was overlapping with Hamilton's If Hamilton had braked, the exact same result would have ensued.
Brake earlier. Don't drift as wide. Don't overlap wheels.

hudnut

LM10 wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:11
If the fact that Albon was in front of Hamilton going into that corner wasn't the decisive factor, then the penalty Hamilton got was a joke. He left space and had full right lock. Last year Max forced Leclerc off track crashing into him without a penalty. What was the ruling back then?
Incorrect. It was incorrect.

dans79

hudnut wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 07:00
LM10 wrote:
If the fact that Albon was in front of Hamilton going into that corner wasn't the decisive factor, then the penalty Hamilton got was a joke. He left space and had full right lock. Last year Max forced Leclerc off track crashing into him without a penalty. What was the ruling back then?

I would say in my personal opinion you are incorrect. Using your logic the concept of a racing incident could never exist!
197 104 103 7

hudnut

holeindalip wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 19:42
Can we all agree DAS is safe and withstood wheel to wheel banging without damage??
I'd still like to know how they manage to drive it at all. There must be some way of locking the telescoping of the steering column or something. I can't imagine trying to hold the wheel position for and aft and well as rotationally and have any ability to control it.

I've not an F1 driver either though, much to everyone's relief I think.

hudnut

dans79 wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 07:09
hudnut wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 07:00
LM10 wrote:

I would say in my personal opinion you are incorrect. Using your logic the concept of a racing incident could never exist!
Not really. I just wasn't aware you could use another car as a cornering aid. But the wonderful thing about life is we are allowed to disagree.

Just_a_fan

hudnut wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 06:32
Just_a_fan wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:02
hudnut wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 17:01

Brakes.
Albon's rear tyre was overlapping with Hamilton's If Hamilton had braked, the exact same result would have ensued.
Brake earlier. Don't drift as wide. Don't overlap wheels.
When he entered the corner, Hamilton was ahead and on the inside line. Albon drove around the outside and Hamilton would only have seen him after the apex. Nothing Hamilton could have done at that point.

Earlier in the race, Hamilton tried the same move on Albon. Albon ran him wide, Hamilton backed off to avoid the contact. But when Albon tried it and had contact, it's suddenly Hamilton's fault?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan

matt_b wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:54
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:40
So once it becomes available, Mercedes can protest and get it overturned. Sorted.
I think with the a race next weekend its probably best to accept that sometimes decisions go your way other times they go against you and move on, no point the team or Lewis wasting energy over it. He had the better race pace, just needs to find time in qualifying for next weekend particularly in sector two.
Hamilton will have moved on. He'll be studying the data and making sure he does everything possible to be on pole. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not also thinking about how to change lines slightly to minimise the big kerbs without losing time.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Just_a_fan wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 09:53
matt_b wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:54
NathanOlder wrote:
05 Jul 2020, 22:40
So once it becomes available, Mercedes can protest and get it overturned. Sorted.
I think with the a race next weekend its probably best to accept that sometimes decisions go your way other times they go against you and move on, no point the team or Lewis wasting energy over it. He had the better race pace, just needs to find time in qualifying for next weekend particularly in sector two.
Hamilton will have moved on. He'll be studying the data and making sure he does everything possible to be on pole. Wouldn't be surprised if he's not also thinking about how to change lines slightly to minimise the big kerbs without losing time.
I don’t even know whether the rules allow HAM to protest, but silence/quietly moving on from the incident doesn’t solve the issue for another day. The stewards are skirting responsibility and driving standards are falling. I don’t believe the stewards have offered anything more than the usual Car 44...avoidable accident spiel with regards the ALB/HAM incident. What we need so racing is clearly defined for future events is to pressure the stewards into an explanation.

I for one would like a clear answer as to how a driver who is not on the racing line and is not ahead before the corner has any claim to the racing line on the after-side when the person he’s racing against is still on the racing line. ALB has a right to go round the outside and merge ahead of HAM, but nothing more. Just look at NOR/PER behind in the replay, that’s how you expect it.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

JordanMugen

SF Engineer wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 03:25
For me this is a bit of a disturbing, but inevitable trend.
F1 race director is from V8 Supercars, so he will deploy Safety Car in V8 Supercar style: anytime marshalls or recovery vehicle or medical vehicle needs to go on track. This is a welcome improvement from the risky practices F1 used to engage in, IMO.

SiLo

Utterly ridiculous race! Very exciting. Hamilton having one of those weekends to forget, and of course the usual collective will be there to hark on about it like he has to be perfect in everything he does.

Regarding the albon incident, I can't lay blame on either of them tbh. There was plenty of room left and Hamilton hasn't stopped turning right in any way. Albon should have been a bit more patient and it was very much the sort of move I would expect from someone that is young and hasn't quite tasted success yet.

I think the end result was very much not a reflection of the true pace of all the cars. The safety cars really threw a spanner in the works for quite a few teams.
Felipe Baby!