French GP 2006

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Venom

French GP 2006

French GP - 16/07/2006

Circuit: Nevers Magny-Cours
Laps: 70[
Circuit Length: 4.411 km
Race Length: 308.586 km
Lap Record: M.Schumacher 1:15.377 (2004)

2005 winner: Fernando Alonso
2004 winner: Michael Schumacher
2003 winner: Ralf Schumacher

Is Ferrari a threat after ownage at previous race - Indianapolis?
The trouble with the rat-race is that even if you win, you're still a rat.

Ted68

Ferrari is always a threat. But Alonso will have a new engine and Michelin will have real tires at Nevers. I think we should see Renault and McLaren back up front. I doubt that Ferrari will have the outright dominance they had at Indy. Nothing against Ferrari, they are a fantastic team, but I think we will be back to a level playing field that wasn't there in the USGP.

Tp
Tp

Ferrari are bringing a heavily revised F248, so you can only assume it will improve their performance, hopefully matching (or even beating ) the pace of the Renault.

vyselegend

Last year Alonso was so dominant, laping everyone up to third placed MS, I would be very surprised not to see Renault showing the pace. By the end of Imola's race this year, Flavio said he was happy because they had two black cross in their calendar, one being Imola, and the worst one Indy. So it was known since the begining that US GP would be a damage limiting exercice, and should not be considered as a representative race.

On the other hand, the last time I believed Ferrari's win was due to the track (Imola), I advanced myself saying they would drop back for the Nurburgring (said to be a "Michelin" track), and I was mistaken, so I'd better hold my tongue this time... Ferrari is a strong team enough to fight on every type of track. Mac Laren also are definitly coming back to the front runner pace, slowly but surely.

I think Magny Cours is the only race to have witnessed a successful 4 stop strategy (MS 2004), so I'm wondering if it may be a particular track where fuel level is more determinant than in other races, as I don't think tyre wear is a more problem here than elsewhere. Maybe we'll see a four stopper again, and at least some three stops strategies.

Scuderia_Russ

vyselegend wrote: I think Magny Cours is the only race to have witnessed a successful 4 stop strategy (MS 2004).
Great moment. I remember when the penny dropped with James Allen after Schuey's third stop when the ITV crew realised he hadn't taken on enough fuel to get to the end of the race. One of the teams greatest victories IMO. Williams will also be bringing an new aero package so hopefully they can be a bit more competitive... I hope so anyway... Rosberg is in my dream team. :cry:
"Whether you think you can or can't, either way you are right."
-Henry Ford-

Venom

Ted68 wrote:But Alonso will have a new engine and Michelin will have real tires at Nevers.
New engine? I belive both Alonso and Schumi are getting new engines, or you meant new, upgraded one?

Am I missing something?

FLC
FLC

4 stops in Magny-Cours is doable since the pit straight is very short and doesnt take much time.

johny

venom, that was one of the reasons of fisi's pace, he had an upgraded engine and alonso will have it here

Venom

johny wrote:venom, that was one of the reasons of fisi's pace, he had an upgraded engine and alonso will have it here
right...

Hopefully Ferrari will get a new beast too

Jason

FLC wrote:4 stops in Magny-Cours is doable since the pit straight is very short and doesnt take much time.
Does that pit lane look very short? I'll say its quite long to me. No doubt Ferrari dominant in Magny-Cours, but MS is for a not(blowing his Ferrari F310 on the parade lap). I could be 100% sure for a Renault win here.

Prepare for the French Fries Gp.:P :P :P :P (just kidding) :P :P :P
Never regret what you do, but only regret what you don't do. - Jenson Button
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?LW

Ted68

Venom, here's what I was meaning.

http://www.f1technical.net/news/3452

Cheers

Venom

Yes, a new spec engine.

Is anyone informed if Ferrari is upgrading the engine too, or just the same but new one?