2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
SmallSoldier

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

Unf wrote:Can we just give titles for Lewis and Mercedes right now and end this season? 1s gap in Q between Mercedes and 2nd team. It's worthless.
Tomorrow if two Mercedeses will be 1st and 2nd after first corner we can turn off TV/PC.

I know this is not their fault that they are much faster, smarter etc. than other team but... such boring season it's going to be.
I stopped carrying too much about P1 and P2 since the first race... But I’m enjoying everything that happens from P3 to P20 in every race

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cooken

siskue2005 wrote:
01 Jan 1970, 02:00

The video clearly shows how he didnt even lift and set the fastest sector time there
It is astonishing that this was missed
That actually looks pretty dangerous. Again no yellow flag was waved though so probably can't be any penalty. If anything marshals are to blame but it just happened so fast...

PlatinumZealot

falonso81 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:35

There is no need to defend Merc, i am not accusing them of cheating nor did i camed up with a conspiracy theory as you state. I find it hard to believe they improved almost a second from last year. It just makes you wonder.
They have improved by about 1 second each year from 2014.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Schuttelberg

Unf wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:39
Can we just give titles for Lewis and Mercedes right now and end this season? 1s gap in Q between Mercedes and 2nd team. It's worthless.
Tomorrow if two Mercedeses will be 1st and 2nd after first corner we can turn off TV/PC.

I know this is not their fault that they are much faster, smarter etc. than other team but... such boring season it's going to be.
I think while there is a lot of frustration around already knowing the winner, there is a lot to admire. A legend of a driver is driving what is easily the best car I have seen for the best team of all time (in terms of a spell). There will be races some absurd stuff happens and they don't win, but TV people and some others would do well by not trying to sell a 'competitive' race/season to the fans and cheat them.

The only disturbing aspect about this is the fact that there are two years of this and it's pretty clear Mercedes are not going to have anyone but Bottas in the second seat as it is a winning formula.

I wish I could develop a project for 2020 and then have it copy pasted on to the next year.
"Sebastian there's very, you're a member of a very select few.. Stewart, Lauda, Piquet, Senna, Prost, Schumacher, Fangio.. VETTEL!"

PlatinumZealot

All these people complaining should simply change to Bottas supporters. If yoh support Bottas at this time you will never have a boring race.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Wynters

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:47
Unf wrote:Can we just give titles for Lewis and Mercedes right now and end this season? 1s gap in Q between Mercedes and 2nd team. It's worthless.

I stopped carrying too much about P1 and P2 since the first race... But I’m enjoying everything that happens from P3 to P20 in every race

This. The midfield battle is, for yet another year, absolutely fascinating. If people want to 'fix' F1, throw Mercedes AND Ferrari and Red Bull out of the sport.

Shrieker

Wynters wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:25
This. The midfield battle is, for yet another year, absolutely fascinating. If people want to 'fix' F1, throw Mercedes AND Ferrari and Red Bull out of the sport.
Literally lol'ed :lol:
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Edax

Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:14
Unf wrote:
Can we just give titles for Lewis and Mercedes right now and end this season? 1s gap in Q between Mercedes and 2nd team. It's worthless.

I think while there is a lot of frustration around already knowing the winner, there is a lot to admire. A legend of a driver is driving what is easily the best car I have seen for the best team of all time (in terms of a spell). There will be races some absurd stuff happens and they don't win, but TV people and some others would do well by not trying to sell a 'competitive' race/season to the fans and cheat them.

The only disturbing aspect about this is the fact that there are two years of this and it's pretty clear Mercedes are not going to have anyone but Bottas in the second seat as it is a winning formula.

I wish I could develop a project for 2020 and then have it copy pasted on to the next year.
I am a fan of engineering. What Mercedes has brought to the track I find pretty inspirational. Yes it kind of spoils the drivers championship.

But still. Every year I look at the pictures of their gear and you see these difficult technical innovations. Make no mistake, they don’t take the comfortable route, they do put it all on the line by chasing alternative solutions for the exhaust , turbo, cooling etc, each year.

No matter what I think of the drivers, I can only bow my head in awe to the engineering behind them.

Mattchu

Why do people care if one team is much better than the others? This has been the case in F1 going back years but still you/we watch the race for the teams battling it out for places, pit stops, strategy, etc, etc.

The winner is [imo] only a fraction of why we watch this sport...sure we would all love our favourite team or driver to be winning but it`s the whole package that makes it interesting. The races are certainly better nowadays than in some previous era, the trouble is we forget the past and just focus on the here and now!

zibby43

falonso81 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 21:35
zibby43 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 20:04
falonso81 wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 19:56

Maybe FIA whistled the measurement timings to Merc? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Everyone praising Merc for the unbelievable progress they made. I find it hard to buy into it, yet almost everybody is convinced the W11 is 100% legal.
I find it hard to buy into the conspiracy theories, as if it’s hard to believe one of the best teams in F1 history can improve.

In the hybrid era, whenever there have been clarifications or TDs, whether they have concerned the PU, flexible bodywork, etc., it has been Merc’s rivals that have been tripped up, time and again.

That trend tells me that Merc is putting in the hard work, while others are relying on shortcuts that can boost performance in the short term, until the trick is discovered.

Merc have also made bold decisions when needed. They stuck to their traditional side pod shape longer than anyone else on the grid. But they finally maxed out the potential and switched to the high-top inlets this year.

Other teams have just stuck with what they’ve always done (Red Bull with so much rake they look like they’re doing a handstand down the straights).
There is no need to defend Merc, i am not accusing them of cheating nor did i camed up with a conspiracy theory as you state. I find it hard to believe they improved almost a second from last year. It just makes you wonder.
The sections I put in bold seem to contradict one another. :mrgreen:

SmallSoldier

Edax wrote:
Schuttelberg wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:14
Unf wrote:

I am a fan of engineering. What Mercedes has brought to the track I find pretty inspirational. Yes it kind of spoils the drivers championship.

But still. Every year I look at the pictures of their gear and you see these difficult technical innovations. Make no mistake, they don’t take the comfortable route, they do put it all on the line by chasing alternative solutions for the exhaust , turbo, cooling etc, each year.

No matter what I think of the drivers, I can only bow my head in awe to the engineering behind them.
Agreed... If there is one big thing to rescue from this season is that we are arguably watching the best chassis with the best engine with the best driver and best overall team... Which is mind blogging when all those things converge together.

Carl Mccoy

Mattchu wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:57
Why do people care if one team is much better than the others? This has been the case in F1 going back years but still you/we watch the race for the teams battling it out for places, pit stops, strategy, etc, etc.

The winner is [imo] only a fraction of why we watch this sport...sure we would all love our favourite team or driver to be winning but it`s the whole package that makes it interesting. The races are certainly better nowadays than in some previous era, the trouble is we forget the past and just focus on the here and now!
I think 7 years of domination is too much. F1 is dying. Who is interested in fighting in the middle?

Carl Mccoy

Carl Mccoy wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:10
Mattchu wrote:

I think 7 years of domination is too much. F1 is dying. Who is interested in fighting in the middle?

SmallSoldier

Carl Mccoy wrote:
Mattchu wrote:

Dying? Viewership has been rising year on year, revenue was up for the last couple of years... The KPI’s show otherwise and even their stock price has more than doubled (and doing relatively well in the middle of a pandemic).

zibby43

SmallSoldier wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 23:16
Carl Mccoy wrote:
Mattchu wrote:

Dying? Viewership has been rising year on year, revenue was up for the last couple of years... The KPI’s show otherwise and even their stock price has more than doubled (and doing relatively well in the middle of a pandemic).

Bingo.

In 2019, the total global TV cumulative audience hit 1.922bn, the highest since 2012. This was an increase of 9% compared to 2018, and the third consecutive year of growth.