2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2020 British Grand Prix - Silverstone, 31-02 July / August

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:17
We already saw Bottas and Leclerc hanging out in public and perhaps putting themselves at higher risk.
Whilst "playboy" Hamilton stayed at the track and worked with his engineers to understand the car better... 8)
I can imagine the more bloody minded amongst them like Hamilton and Verstappen would rather lock themselves alone in a bunker between races and in a motorhome during, just to make sure they don't go near anyone unless it's completely necessary in pursuit of victory.
This year, that sort of attitude might be the difference between winning the title and missing a couple of races and losing the title.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

siskue2005

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 19:47
El Scorchio wrote:
We already saw Bottas and Leclerc hanging out in public and perhaps putting themselves at higher risk.
Whilst "playboy" Hamilton stayed at the track and worked with his engineers to understand the car better... 8)
I can imagine the more bloody minded amongst them like Hamilton and Verstappen would rather lock themselves alone in a bunker between races and in a motorhome during, just to make sure they don't go near anyone unless it's completely necessary in pursuit of victory.
This year, that sort of attitude might be the difference between winning the title and missing a couple of races and losing the title.
and due to triple header races, if put in quarantine they are more likely to miss to 2 and even upto 3 races

El Scorchio

siskue2005 wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
and due to triple header races, if put in quarantine they are more likely to miss to 2 and even upto 3 races
Absolutely! Two at a bare minimum I'd say. That's enough to significantly change things.

zibby43

atanatizante wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 13:49
zibby43 wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 00:19
F1Krof wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 00:07
Too early to say but. I expect RB to raise their game. I'm not buying this Mercedes dominance to be honest. They hit the sweet spot and it was just 2 different tracks remember. That RB looks handful in Qualy but very fast come race trim. So, let's just wait and see.

In Hungaroring most of us though it'd be Max on pole, it turned out to be different.
The number of circuits doesn't really matter. You can look at the data from corner types and straights and extrapolate. The W11's greatest strengths this year have been fast corners and straights. That's where they've been consistently faster than everyone in the field, including Red Bull. Silverstone is a power-sensitive track filled with fast corners.

Mercedes and its drivers still have to execute, but the car's performance should be very strong there.

Mark Hughes had an interesting article out today that touched on Red Bull's performance.

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/arti ... -f1-rivals

Hughes spoke with an aerodynamicist to try to understand Red Bull's struggles:

“Since the regs changes of 2019 [principally the simplified endplates and the restriction of the under-nose vanes], the vortices you’re creating at the front end of the car can be quite unstable. Especially if you are running a lot of rake. The car is articulating around the front bib of the floor and that rake is increasing quite quickly as you slow down – and that makes that whole flow quite volatile. You can see in the tunnel the vortices can even suddenly switch from inboard to outboard. It could be the amount of steering lock or a crosswind – it’s so on the edge.”
It would be interesting to see what`s the RBR strategy for this race bearing in mind that:
1. for the last 3 races, they opted towards for a more (if not almost) race pace setup. My arguments: a) they already knew they couldn`t beat Merc for the front row and b) we should look at the race pace vs. Merc for the last 3 races when they were closer than qualy times
2. Racing Point could beat them in Q3 easily on this track which puts in lateral grip on premium, I should say ...
For RB, I've been wondering if this track will be slightly better for them in terms of balance (less of the slow corners where the car is quick, but on a knife's edge, in quali trim), but worse for them in terms of raw pace, relative to Mercedes, given Merc's high-speed cornering performance.

If that makes sense.

El Scorchio

Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Definitely! I think people underestimate Hamilton’s work ethic because of his off-season lifestyle and how he can make it look effortless sometimes. It’s all about what happens out of the public eye when the hard work really takes place.

It reminds me of a doc I once saw about Usain Bolt who is so laid back it doesn’t even look like he trains and it looks easy on track, but they showed his training sessions, where he’s just lying on the floor throwing up because he’s giving it so much.

You need the talent but you also need the dedication.

MtthsMlw

Phew...

SmallSoldier

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Scorchio

SmallSoldier wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:15

Poor Sergio. Let's hope it's only a mild or asymptomatic case.

So the UK government just upped the quarantine time to 10 days. Will have have to follow that guideline or is he exempt?

It's the difference between missing one race or two. Really hope no-one else has also caught it. It's all good having the bubble but it's tricky to transport the bubble across the globe.

Restomaniac

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 21:42
SmallSoldier wrote:

So the UK government just upped the quarantine time to 10 days. Will have have to follow that guideline or is he exempt?

It's the difference between missing one race or two. Really hope no-one else has also caught it. It's all good having the bubble but it's tricky to transport the bubble across the globe.
I imagine the other teams are going to keep miles away from RP.

SmallSoldier

El Scorchio wrote:
SmallSoldier wrote:

He most probably be losing the next GP also... I’m sure he will get tested next Wednesday to see if he can show negative, but if the expectation would be to lose both GP’s at Silverstone.

mkay

godlameroso wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 15:41
Warm windy summer weekend with sunshine throughout. Hopefully the heat negatively affects Mercedes.
Nice try. It’s going to be 22-23C for quali and race. Mother Nature let you down it seems.

Sieper

El Scorchio wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 20:45
Just_a_fan wrote:
El Scorchio wrote:
Definitely! I think people underestimate Hamilton’s work ethic because of his off-season lifestyle and how he can make it look effortless sometimes. It’s all about what happens out of the public eye when the hard work really takes place.

It reminds me of a doc I once saw about Usain Bolt who is so laid back it doesn’t even look like he trains and it looks easy on track, but they showed his training sessions, where he’s just lying on the floor throwing up because he’s giving it so much.

You need the talent but you also need the dedication.
His personal assistant is still glued to him. At no point is she ever outside the 1,5 meter.

I agree that we don’t see the halve of it when it comes to the dedication. I infact do not doubt that Hamilton takes the job dead serious. But I don’t think any driver is really quarantining himself strictly.

NAPI10

Some track time (especially FP1) for reserve drivers will play a big role in this season. In reality, RP will enter the race with one driver(that too Lance :D ).

strad

????
22 °C 71.6 °F
23 °C 73.4 °F
Seems a nice balmy weekend to me.?.?
Last edited by strad on 30 Jul 2020, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

ME4ME

Hulkenbergs first podium, wouldn't that be fun :mrgreen:

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hulk ... =widget-22