2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wynters
Wynters

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

dans79 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 16:35
Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 16:03
Car 77: RHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 05: LHS and RHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 33: LHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 31: LHS and RHS rear tyre (race start set)

These tyres were all so badly damaged that they weren't allowed to be run.
This is the important bit, tires that did less than a handful of laps in qualifying where so damaged they were deemed unsafe for use in the race....
And it suggests Hamilton was pretty fortunate. If he'd suffered the same damage Bottas had, what set would he have taken replacements from? His worn-down practice set? Or the set he span on earlier in Q2?

Shades of Baku 2016(?)

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:18
dans79 wrote:
Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 16:03
Car 77: RHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 05: LHS and RHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 33: LHS rear tyre (race start set)
Car 31: LHS and RHS rear tyre (race start set)

These tyres were all so badly damaged that they weren't allowed to be run.
This is the important bit, tires that did less than a handful of laps in qualifying where so damaged they were deemed unsafe for use in the race....
And it suggests Hamilton was pretty fortunate. If he'd suffered the same damage Bottas had, what set would he have taken replacements from? His worn-down practice set? Or the set he span on earlier in Q2?

Shades of Baku 2016(?)
He only needed 1 lap out of them. So the used set would be fine to cruise around on.

Wynters
Wynters

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:25
Wynters wrote:
dans79 wrote:

Shades of Baku 2016(?)
He only needed 1 lap out of them. So the used set would be fine to cruise around on.
If he had damaged the set he qualified on, then he'd have needed to start the race with replacement tyres. Bottas had to take his replacement from his unused set.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:27
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:25
Wynters wrote:

Shades of Baku 2016(?)
If he had damaged the set he qualified on, then he'd have needed to start the race with replacement tyres. Bottas had to take his replacement from his unused set.
Oh sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant at the end. But aren’t drivers allowed new for old if Pirelli find them dangerous?

Wynters
Wynters

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:28
Oh sorry I misunderstood I thought you meant at the end. But aren’t drivers allowed new for old if Pirelli find them dangerous?
That's what I was trying to remember. Vowles confirmed Bottas had to take his replacement out of his remaining set and he also said that Bottas would've been able to swap to that set in the race.

So, Bottas would've needed to find another tyre from somewhere. I believe that the source of the replacement tyre is specified by the FIA, so an entirely fresh tyre(s) being swapped into the spare set is not necessarily out of the question?

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:37
Restomaniac wrote:
That's what I was trying to remember. Vowles confirmed Bottas had to take his replacement out of his remaining set and he also said that Bottas would've been able to swap to that set in the race.

So, Bottas would've needed to find another tyre from somewhere. I believe that the source of the replacement tyre is specified by the FIA, so an entirely fresh tyre(s) being swapped into the spare set is not necessarily out of the question?
Article 24.4 (g) of the Sporting Regulations states: “Any such tyres damaged during Q2 will be inspected by the FIA technical delegate who will decide, at his absolute discretion, whether any may be replaced and, if so, which tyres they should be replaced with.”

They get to give them whatever the FIA decide. In the case here it would (I assume) have to be a new one from a fresh set on safety grounds.

Wynters
Wynters

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:49
Wynters wrote:
Restomaniac wrote:

Article 24.4 (g) of the Sporting Regulations states: “Any such tyres damaged during Q2 will be inspected by the FIA technical delegate who will decide, at his absolute discretion, whether any may be replaced and, if so, which tyres they should be replaced with.”

They get to give them whatever the FIA decide. In the case here it would (I assume) have to be a new one from a fresh set on safety grounds.
Good find! And agreed.

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

Wynters wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:51
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:49
Wynters wrote:

Good find! And agreed.
Possibly both across that axle so they don’t have a fresh and a worn one.

Ringleheim
Ringleheim

Hoping for more tire blowouts on the Mercedes, otherwise this figures to be another snooze fest.

The only "story" for this entire season is going to be which Mercedes wins the championship, and we already know the answer.

Bottas is simply not in Lewis' league.

I guess we can try to enjoy the midfield fights; it's all we really have.

Big Tea

Ringleheim wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 19:04
Hoping for more tire blowouts on the Mercedes, otherwise this figures to be another snooze fest.

The only "story" for this entire season is going to be which Mercedes wins the championship, and we already know the answer.

Bottas is simply not in Lewis' league.

I guess we can try to enjoy the midfield fights; it's all we really have.
You enjoyed Reliant F1? me too. Shows how they earn their money
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

nevill3

Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:59

If that is the case, then Bottas started the race with brand new rear tyres??
Does anybody have any images of Bottas' tyres before the formation lap?
Sent from my Commodore PET in 1978

Restomaniac
Restomaniac

nevill3 wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 21:35
Restomaniac wrote:
05 Aug 2020, 17:59

If that is the case, then Bottas started the race with brand new rear tyres??
Does anybody have any images of Bottas' tyres before the formation lap?
I’m not saying it’s true but I assume that in this hypothetical situation that decision could be made if the FIA decided too.

langedweil

dans79 wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 18:03
Restomaniac wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 17:54
dans79 wrote:
04 Aug 2020, 17:49

Pirelli should be the one handling that. and if they are smart the estimate should always be based on the worst case scenario. In other words if it's 35 to 45 laps they should be telling the teams 35 laps, and if they go over that they are on their own. I do this regularly for my work, because I'm the one that will be held accountable if something goes wrong.

In all honesty, since it's a safety issue Pirelli should be informing the FIA and if limits are not adhered to penalties should be handed out.
Even if they had said 35 laps Bottas was under that in racing conditions anyway (He’d done 34 when they blew).
I know, I think Pirelli is always intentionally vague about issues, so they can minimize looking bad. IMO, it shows a major lack of professional integrity! It's a huge safety concern, imagine a front tire letting go like that in the middle of Eau Rouge, or 130R.

Hopefully this weekend they do their job properly!
Funny it's all Pirelli's fault .. they do approximately 40 laps (or more, or less), depending how much one lifts and coasts or give them a good wack in the stint.

Go back in to get some new ones if you don't feel comfortable after too much of a beating, or when you're sight gets blurred by vibrations; you're totally entitled to do so. Nearly every (dry) race is a 1-stop, change it by giving the softest compounds at any race ..
HuggaWugga !

Bsowles
Bsowles

MtthsMlw, thanks again for kicking off the weekly race thread, as usual. 👍

Wouter

According to the German RTL, where Nico Hulkenberg should work next weekend, he will be racing again.
Last weekend they also reported this first, because Nico was unable to work for them.

Perez replacement at Racing Point, Hulkenberg keeps his Formula 1 cockpit

Second Silverstone race, second chance for Nico Hülkenberg.

According to exclusive RTL / ntv information, the dice in the cockpit decision were made. The 32 year old
may also compete in the upcoming Grand Prix, the Grand Prix for the 70th anniversary, for Racing Point and replace Sergio Perez.

To prepare for this, the 32-year-old completed a strict fitness program - the high-speed course in Silverstone
demands a lot from the neck muscles with its fast curves.
In addition, he climbed into the team's simulator over three days.
https://www.n-tv.de/sport/formel1/Huelk ... 55074.html
The Power of Dreams!