2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
etusch

Re: 2020 Formula 1 70th Anniversary Grand Prix - Silverstone, August 7-9

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:41
Big Tea wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:28
PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:15
Hmm i think some team cheat with the tyre pressures. The rims have a device that controls tyre pressure. Maybe a platically yielding membrane of sorts.
Are the scoring cars not inspected for such things after the race? Had Max dived in for a quickie on the last coupe of laps, I may suspect, but he finished on his best tyres.

Or are you baiting :evil: :mrgreen:
I say guilty until proven innocent. I'm with Lewis on this one. RedBull wheels must be handed over to FIA for inspection.
if Redbull won this race illegally I hate from this as a Honda fan. but if it just for longer tyre life of Redbull it is unfair, if it is longer tyre life of a team then fia must investigate many Mercedes tyres before Redbull.

PlatinumZealot

Redbull was 1 second a lap faster than Mercedes and they ran much longer and yet the tyres were in the words of Donald Trump; beautiful! beautiful tyres!

Mercedes must demand an ivestigation.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

dans79

GPR-A wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:45
lh13 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 18:38
I don't know what is with Hamilton fans. Yes Merc / Hamilton are unbeatable over the course of a season, but others cannot just pack up and go home. You people can't stand anyone having even some 'hope' of a competitive season. What the hell are you even doing on this forum if you can't discuss / stand others' opinions?
There is a difference in HOPING for competitive season (the grounds of which is questionable) and utter BS downplaying Mercedes' car performance in downright ugly manner. For some people, this past race result is way to throw up their long held frustration.
Exactly, their is nothing wrong with hope, but when the entire content of your post is boastful delusions or propaganda aimed at antagonizing other users people are going to respond negatively.

I'll never understand people who think they say or do whatever they want, and then cry and complain when they can't get away with it.
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

GPR-A wrote:
lh13 wrote:
I don't know what is with Hamilton fans. Yes Merc / Hamilton are unbeatable over the course of a season, but others cannot just pack up and go home. You people can't stand anyone having even some 'hope' of a competitive season. What the hell are you even doing on this forum if you can't discuss / stand others' opinions?
There is a difference in HOPING for competitive season (the grounds of which is questionable) and utter BS downplaying Mercedes' car performance in downright ugly manner. For some people, this past race result is way to throw up their long held frustration.
Agree, i didnt see any of the Merc or Lewis fans say such things as "even Kyvat or Stroll would have won today in that Redbull". But we can expect the same next week from the haters if Lewis wins by a mile :|
And i dont know why Max fans are frustrated and saying such things (or are they just Lewis haters?). Coming from a Lewis fan, Max was supreme on Sunday and his drive was one of his best i have seen. Just be happy for the results and enjoy the racing.
Move on to Barcelona, hopefully it is again a fun race.

strad

We saw Hamilton's true colors. He thinks he can't be bested without the other party cheating.
Hmm i think some team cheat with the tyre pressures. The rims have a device that controls tyre pressure. Maybe a platically yielding membrane of sorts.
The FIA monitors tire pressures in real time. Tain't possible for Max to run illegal pressure without them knowing.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

dans79

strad wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 19:16
We saw Hamilton's true colors. He thinks he can't be bested without the other party cheating.
The FIA monitors tire pressures in real time. Tain't possible for Max to run illegal pressure without them knowing.
That's not what Lewis said, that's what some forum member posted!
197 104 103 7

siskue2005

dans79 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 19:25
strad wrote:
That's not what Lewis said, that's what some forum member posted!
Ah, dont spoil their Hate Party :mrgreen:

What Lewis said in the race was that RBR were running lower pressure than Mercedes (still within the minimum pressure; as Pirelli only specify minimum), which was also a hint to the pit wall to reduce the pressure in their next stint.

It was idiotic Chandok who jumped the gun and said Lewis was accusing during the race. When infact he was just referring to their high tyre pressure setup (which was confirmed by Merc that they overreacted to last race's failure)
Last edited by siskue2005 on 10 Aug 2020, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.

dans79

197 104 103 7

Just_a_fan

strad wrote:
#-o More careful reading of the thread required strad. :wink:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Hoffman900

Have any of you guys spent any time around race drivers? I know guys who sound like that who are accountants by week and compete for plastic trophies on the weekend, let alone a generational talent.

Hell Lewis is more humble than a lot of amateur racers. He and everyone knows he's good, so at least he's not trying to overcompensate.
Last edited by Hoffman900 on 10 Aug 2020, 19:48, edited 1 time in total.

zibby43

PlatinumZealot wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 17:10
zibby43 wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 20:46
aral wrote:
09 Aug 2020, 19:34

Are you saying that merc were overstraining their cars and that they are not as fast as the Red Bull? The RB was going everybit as fast but was not being overdriven so as to destroy its tyres.
It's not a matter of over-driving. Or tire degradation. It was a matter of blistering today.

Blistering occurs when a tire overheats. The excess heat causes the tread to soften, and then it starts to break away.

What factors can cause overheating? Several, but 2 of the most important are: 1) over-inflation and 2) high track temperatures. The third factor is how much the car is asking from the tires, and the Merc demands a lot due to the downforce it generates, but it is a very well-sorted car on the suspension front, which is why, the vast majority of the time since '19, Merc has had class-leading tire wear.

I also don't think there is anything Mercedes could've done in qualifying to make themselves slower in qualifying, and subsequently faster in the race. Those setup choices and the trade off between race and quali pace are more relevant when it comes to degradation, not an anomaly like blistering.

Kind of like how Mercedes goes with a low rake concept to be well-rounded and fast at the majority of circuits on the calendar, they design the car/suspension to consistently energize/work with the harder compounds that are used on race day, in a temperature range that best represents most of the calendar.

For whatever reason, the Red Bull struggles to get the best out of their car in the circumstances that apply to the vast majority of races, but on those one-off days when the tires are pumped up to levels approaching the PSI of a 19" road car tire and the track temperatures are 40+ C, the car just suddenly works.
Your concept of how downforce affects tyres is wrong.
More downforce can help tyre life in most situations because the tyre slides less.
RedBullwas actually running more downforce than Mercedes this race. Martin Brundle corroborated this.

On the flipside if that additional downforce is used to take corners at acessive speeds then the tyre will be worked much much harder which can lead to blistering so it is how u use the downforce and how u work / cool the tyres.

Mercedes car probably has a tyre cooling problem or works the tyre differently. Historically their cars always had bad tyre eating habits independent of downforce! It is difficult to say if its aero-related, wheel and brake duct related, or suspension kinematics related because if it were that easy they would have figured it out by now.
Are you referring to me?

I don't have anything wrong. Did you even read my post? I said almost nothing about downforce and whether or not that was a problem for Mercedes in the race.

Mercedes ran less downforce than last weekend, and made a setup change to protect the front-left tire that they were chewing through.

As a result, they were putting too much energy through the rear tires (in addition to sliding around on them more due to less downforce) and blistered them.

More downforce, as a general rule, helps tire degradation (which I state in my initial post).

More downforce, also, on a circuit like Silverstone, can punish a tire and put too much energy through it (like when the blowouts happened last weekend).

That's from Merc's engineers. So you can tell them they have their concept of how downforce affects tires wrong. :mrgreen:

dans79

Hoffman900 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 19:44
Have any of you guys spent any time around race drivers? I know guys who sound like that who are accountants by week and compete for plastic trophies on the weekend, let alone a generational talent.

Hell Lewis is more humble than a lot of amateur racers. He and everyone knows he's good, so at least he's not trying to overcompensate.
I had an old humble co-worker who used to race autocross. He was a damn good driver and he was also smart. He drove halfway across the country to buy a beat up rusted late 90's Honda Civic type R because it had the B16B engine it (9k revlimiter).

He routinely annihilated people with cars substantially more expensive, and powerful than his. It took his competitors several years to figure out how he was beating them. The trick was because of his cars power band and gear ratios. He had less gear shifts to do on a lap, and spent most of his time in the sweet spot of the power band.
197 104 103 7

aral

Just a reminder. this thread is about the anniversary GP in silverstone, so please try to keep to the topic. Thanks

Sieper

siskue2005 wrote:
10 Aug 2020, 19:00
GPR-A wrote:
lh13 wrote:
Agree, i didnt see any of the Merc or Lewis fans say such things as "even Kyvat or Stroll would have won today in that Redbull". But we can expect the same next week from the haters if Lewis wins by a mile :|
And i dont know why Max fans are frustrated and saying such things (or are they just Lewis haters?). Coming from a Lewis fan, Max was supreme on Sunday and his drive was one of his best i have seen. Just be happy for the results and enjoy the racing.
Move on to Barcelona, hopefully it is again a fun race.
They could have said that. And in the case of Albon (who I still think is quite good) it certainly wasn’t the case. Max had the best package yesterday. That is simply a fact. Surprisingly, yes, but true. He delivered, just like Lewis always does.

Max the package deliverer. :mrgreen:

sosic2121

Nice to see so many objective comments after the race... NOT. But that's not really a new thing here.

Mercedes screwed Bottas out of 2nd place. We all know it, it's just that no one cares.

Thin Mercedes gauge tyres seems to be too thick (for Mercedes that is). Maybe Pirelli should do something about that... again.

Leclerc did a one stopper with skinny wing in a car that was a tyre shredder last year. It seems loosing couple hundred HPs actually improved Ferrari's pace!?

Maybe Mercedes would improve their pace if they reduce their power output. Maybe they even stop smoking 😂

Ohh, and I totally forgot about DAS