2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MtthsMlw

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 20:58
GPR-A wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 19:26
Tyre pressures 2019 Vs 2020
Spanish GP 2019 (C1, C2, C3): Front - 22.5 PSI ; Rear - 20.5 PSI ;
Spanish GP 2020 (C1, C2, C3): Front - 23.0 PSI ; Rear - 20.5 PSI ;
Can anyone remember what the temp was during the race last year, I've tried searching but no luck.
Air 20°C
Track 42°C

dans79

Unc1eM0nty wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 20:58
GPR-A wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 19:26
Tyre pressures 2019 Vs 2020
Spanish GP 2019 (C1, C2, C3): Front - 22.5 PSI ; Rear - 20.5 PSI ;
Spanish GP 2020 (C1, C2, C3): Front - 23.0 PSI ; Rear - 20.5 PSI ;
Can anyone remember what the temp was during the race last year, I've tried searching but no luck.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/es/montm ... ?year=2019
roughly 21°C was the high all weekend

Edit: 2018 was 24°C or 25°C if memory serves!
197 104 103 7

foxmulder_ms
foxmulder_ms

Racer X wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 03:41
My biggest question is who will drive alongside Lance. Will we see another Hulk appearance? Or will we see Sergio back... Because it's totally possible that he keeps testing positive for COVID for about 10 to 14 days. Depending on his recovery and maybe even more. So he might even miss the Spanish GP if he tests negative on Thursday'.
Does it matter? RP will ruin the race for any of Stroll's team mates...

Sieper

foxmulder_ms wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 21:46
Racer X wrote:
My biggest question is who will drive alongside Lance. Will we see another Hulk appearance? Or will we see Sergio back... Because it's totally possible that he keeps testing positive for COVID for about 10 to 14 days. Depending on his recovery and maybe even more. So he might even miss the Spanish GP if he tests negative on Thursday'.
Call me an alu hat. I have those tendencies :oops: . When Hulk couldn’t start last week I felt sorry. Then I thought, what a strange coincidence. DNS almost never happens and it happens to the one stepping in (for one race as it seemed then). Then this week he had to go and pit one extra time. You cannot have somebody DNS twice, but you can have junior finish infront of him once and finish without him the time before that. Dad never cheats. Or so I have been told. I know, makes no sense to waste points. But sons reputation is also already costing dad a lot of money now. So keeping that intact is important. Can’t completely shake this feeling. Just so hard with ufo’s zooming past me on this flat earth.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Bit early, but weather forecasts suggest a tailwind in to T9. Which could be interesting as it's a bit quick. Headwind down the main straight should help a following car which might help overtakes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Laserguru

Sieper wrote:
11 Aug 2020, 22:39
foxmulder_ms wrote:
Racer X wrote:
My biggest question is who will drive alongside Lance.
Call me an alu hat. I have those tendencies :oops: Can’t completely shake this feeling. Just so hard with ufo’s zooming past me on this flat earth.
You are almost there but still somehow wrong. Dad had to assure Hulk collects less points at this stage then Vettel, who will soon announce he will join the RP team. Lance will beat world champion Vettel. A secret agreement with Ferrari is set in motion to destroy Vettel’s ego. To cover up this agreement Ferrari will formally join the protest against the RP punishment. Ferrari knows there will be no punishment in the end, but a secret deal will follow that allows RP to use the pink Mercedes legally and avoids disclosure of IP. Ferrari only needs to deflect from their engine sage to restore the brand image of this famous Dutch company. Works perfectly so far. Never forget to include Ferrari into the equation. It is all part of the masterplan! Mind the tin foil hat was developed for 5G by Bill Gates. If you wear it near 5G it will focus the radiation and fry your brains. :P

For those living on the round earth: Big day tomorrow, who will (not) sign the concorde agreement.

And... watch turn 13/14/15 for spinning Red Bulls on Friday. Remember winter testing when Max spun twice. Or did they really solve their chassis problems. Anyone noticed how nervous Newey was during the 70 anniversary race? Very rare to see him nervous.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

Laserguru

Now that I mention T13 and T14: the Honda engine sounded magnificent in this short straight during winter testing, especially when driven by Max. I think he applies the throttle differently there? Could not understand why. Very loud “exhaust cracks and pops”. Almost explosions sometimes. Are these still being heard? I cannot tell from the horrible F1TV engine mics. I will be monitoring those turns though. Mercedes looked so good there.

Interesting to see if Honda can deliver a perfect engine map this weekend like they did last week. Especially in T16 which is so important.If your battery is depleted there you are screwed. Maybe also counts for Ferrari this year although they seem never short on torque. Mercedes’ rear tires maybe if they overheat.
Engineering thrives on communication. Jus soli defending WDC, love and merchandise McLaren, passion and inspiration Ferrari. Open wheel car racing and karting addict.

ispano6

Mario Isola, F1 head of Pirelli, said this weekend. Even at the Spanish GP, the team warned that the tires had to be managed again.

"The current car is faster than ever, and the Spanish GP has never been held in August," Mario Isola said.

“With that in mind, it may be the toughest tire race I've ever seen in Barcelona

LM10
LM10

Laserguru wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 00:23
Sieper wrote:
foxmulder_ms wrote:

Call me an alu hat. I have those tendencies :oops: Can’t completely shake this feeling. Just so hard with ufo’s zooming past me on this flat earth.
You are almost there but still somehow wrong. Dad had to assure Hulk collects less points at this stage then Vettel, who will soon announce he will join the RP team. Lance will beat world champion Vettel. A secret agreement with Ferrari is set in motion to destroy Vettel’s ego. To cover up this agreement Ferrari will formally join the protest against the RP punishment. Ferrari knows there will be no punishment in the end, but a secret deal will follow that allows RP to use the pink Mercedes legally and avoids disclosure of IP. Ferrari only needs to deflect from their engine sage to restore the brand image of this famous Dutch company. Works perfectly so far. Never forget to include Ferrari into the equation. It is all part of the masterplan! Mind the tin foil hat was developed for 5G by Bill Gates. If you wear it near 5G it will focus the radiation and fry your brains. :P

For those living on the round earth: Big day tomorrow, who will (not) sign the concorde agreement.

And... watch turn 13/14/15 for spinning Red Bulls on Friday. Remember winter testing when Max spun twice. Or did they really solve their chassis problems. Anyone noticed how nervous Newey was during the 70 anniversary race? Very rare to see him nervous.
You’re trying too hard to make Sieper’s post look ridiculous although it doesn’t sound that off of possible reality. Just think what might go on in daddy Stroll’s mind when he’s watching his son being beaten by a retired driver who has not even started a single race in that particular car and has been rushed into the seat the week before. If it was my son, I would try to decrease the amount of embarrassment as well.
Not saying it was the case, but being that sarcastic as if it was an impossible thing, is like living in a sweet world made of sugar and thinking everything is 100% correct.

SiLo

Be interesting to see how Mercedes manage tyre temps. I think the load on the tyres here is less than Silverstone, but temps will likely be a struggle to manage.
Felipe Baby!

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

SiLo wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 10:35
Be interesting to see how Mercedes manage tyre temps. I think the load on the tyres here is less than Silverstone, but temps will likely be a struggle to manage.
Perhaps a reworked brake cooling duct to push more air between the brake drum and the wheel? Add a bit of drag, no doubt, but that's going to be preferable to having to drive slowly to look after the tyres.

basti313
basti313

Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 10:39
SiLo wrote:
Perhaps a reworked brake cooling duct to push more air between the brake drum and the wheel? Add a bit of drag, no doubt, but that's going to be preferable to having to drive slowly to look after the tyres.
Whatever they do, they know this track in and out. The issue is that the tires are still too hard. Last year no one used the C1, it is simply too hard. So they will anyways manage a two stop on the C2 and C3 tire...Merc may play save and go for a C2 starting tire and maybe use the C1, but this is only possible with their pace advantage.
Don`t russel the hamster!

GPR-A

Laserguru wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 01:05
Now that I mention T13 and T14: the Honda engine sounded magnificent in this short straight during winter testing,
It's the broadcasters who screw the engine sounds on race weekends. In testing, the cars sound so much pretty and loud. To allow the non-stop nonsense from the broadcasting commentators, the race directors seem to reduce the engine sounds and the cars sound horrible on race weekends. This year especially, the onboard sound like small size vaccum cleaners.

Last edited by GPR-A on 12 Aug 2020, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sieper

LM10 wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 09:48
Laserguru wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 00:23
Sieper wrote:

You’re trying too hard to make Sieper’s post look ridiculous although it doesn’t sound that off of possible reality. Just think what might go on in daddy Stroll’s mind when he’s watching his son being beaten by a retired driver who has not even started a single race in that particular car and has been rushed into the seat the week before. If it was my son, I would try to decrease the amount of embarrassment as well.
Not saying it was the case, but being that sarcastic as if it was an impossible thing, is like living in a sweet world made of sugar and thinking everything is 100% correct.
thanks LM10, but I do accept the post by Laserguru, I did put my post up so then you also bear the consequences :D (which were also in gest I think). Probably just my head not working right! Let's see if Sergio has recovered.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 10:48
Just_a_fan wrote:
12 Aug 2020, 10:39
SiLo wrote:
Whatever they do, they know this track in and out. The issue is that the tires are still too hard. Last year no one used the C1, it is simply too hard. So they will anyways manage a two stop on the C2 and C3 tire...Merc may play save and go for a C2 starting tire and maybe use the C1, but this is only possible with their pace advantage.
If the C1 is "too hard" then I can see Mercedes running it as a cautious response, or at least keep them in reserve just in case.