2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
User avatar
Sieper
108
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:19 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

I guess they were just hoping to prevent the penalty. In the end that was also what happened. Lewis found it under his own power. In fact, after those radio shenanigans the rules were loosened again.
Just a personal interest, a Family recreating a WW2 May 1940 Dutch warbird from scratch: https://www.facebook.com/FlyingFokkerD21/

User avatar
El Scorchio
21
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Sieper wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:28 pm
I guess they were just hoping to prevent the penalty. In the end that was also what happened. Lewis found it under his own power. In fact, after those radio shenanigans the rules were loosened again.
I think they quickly worked out there were safety implications, so had to backtrack. Hamilton was just unlucky that he had those engine issues in that tiny window of races where the team were unable to help him solve it.

Mchamilton
Mchamilton
8
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am
Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 am
Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 am
Hamilton still had the opportunity to win the title despite the failures and start problems, he just didn't perform to his best abilities.
Despite his start problems, he still managed to outscore Rosberg over the season had it not been for suffering the team's only reliability failure whilst leading a race. Had they had equal reliability, Hamilton would have won the 2016 title even with his bad starts. He had one more win than Rosberg (would have been two more but for the single reliability failure).

So even with Hamilton having had a "poor season" (he didn't, of course, but we'll go with your narrative), Rosberg still needed the luck of an engine failure to beat him.
Who said he had a poor season?
I said that despite these difficulties he still had the opportunity to win the title but failed to capitalise, remember Singapore?
more wins, more poles, more fastest laps, more retirements. from the lead.. 28(?) point swing to rosberg, rosberg wins by 5 points. simple really.
of all the things Lewis could control, the engine failure wasnt one of them and that cost him the most points, easily enough to be WDC.

Wass85
Wass85
-1
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Mchamilton wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:43 pm
Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am
Just_a_fan wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:39 am


Despite his start problems, he still managed to outscore Rosberg over the season had it not been for suffering the team's only reliability failure whilst leading a race. Had they had equal reliability, Hamilton would have won the 2016 title even with his bad starts. He had one more win than Rosberg (would have been two more but for the single reliability failure).

So even with Hamilton having had a "poor season" (he didn't, of course, but we'll go with your narrative), Rosberg still needed the luck of an engine failure to beat him.
Who said he had a poor season?
I said that despite these difficulties he still had the opportunity to win the title but failed to capitalise, remember Singapore?
more wins, more poles, more fastest laps, more retirements. from the lead.. 28(?) point swing to rosberg, rosberg wins by 5 points. simple really.
of all the things Lewis could control, the engine failure wasnt one of them and that cost him the most points, easily enough to be WDC.
Stick it on pole at Singapore and win the race and the title was his, in reality he was 7 tenths slower than Rosberg and finished 3rd.

Now I know nobodies season is perfect but just pointing out that Hamilton could have performed better in those races where he had opportunity to do so.

basti313
basti313
52
Joined: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:27 pm
Mchamilton wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:43 pm
Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:23 am


Who said he had a poor season?
I said that despite these difficulties he still had the opportunity to win the title but failed to capitalise, remember Singapore?
more wins, more poles, more fastest laps, more retirements. from the lead.. 28(?) point swing to rosberg, rosberg wins by 5 points. simple really.
of all the things Lewis could control, the engine failure wasnt one of them and that cost him the most points, easily enough to be WDC.
Stick it on pole at Singapore and win the race and the title was his, in reality he was 7 tenths slower than Rosberg and finished 3rd.

Now I know nobodies season is perfect but just pointing out that Hamilton could have performed better in those races where he had opportunity to do so.
Did he say Jehova? :-#

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Wass85 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:19 am
Hamilton still had the opportunity to win the title despite the failures and start problems, he just didn't perform to his best abilities.
He is the best leading starter after the clutch system was sorted. It was well documented. Different grips, paddles, releases, bite point etc. Very consistent starter he is today. Can't say that for the other leading drivers.

User avatar
PlatinumZealot
474
Joined: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:45 am

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

What do you guys think of the Leclerc seat belt gaffe? I think he should be punished harshly.

Wynters
Wynters
65
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

I think you can probably cover it at the next drivers' briefing. "Novel situation...never had it before...can never happen again...immediately black flag and race ban in future, etc, etc, etc."

It's in the same vein as Hamilton loosening his seat belts during the victory lap. Tell them not to, threaten very harsh punishment, and it shouldn't happen again.

I'd be more concerned with K-Mag blowing past Ocon in FP 3, then immediately slowing down and swinging into Ocon's path. He knew Ocon was there as he'd just overtaken him but he clearly wasn't looking in his mirrors when he pulled right and quickly slowed (there's no comment that it had happened on the radio as his engineer was briefing him for the next lap). I'm amazed he wasn't penalised. The stewards ruled that "When he [Ocon] subsequently looked forward, he was surprised to see Magnussen directly ahead of him and swerved to avoid a collision. Both drivers and the Stewards agreed that it was an unfortunate accident and that neither driver was to blame." which seems like a massive cop out. 'Just one of those things, lets keep having cars pulling into the path of other drivers and then slowing right down directly in front of them, it'll be fine. It's not like anyone's died in just that sort of accident.'

User avatar
El Scorchio
21
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

PlatinumZealot wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 1:38 pm
What do you guys think of the Leclerc seat belt gaffe? I think he should be punished harshly.
Difficult one. Totally understand his first reaction would be to get out of the car in case there was a serious problem, it's weird he might do that and THEN try to restart the car- unless he did that and then the team said 'try this'.

Shouldn't be driving without a seatbelt obviously, but I think under the circumstances as long as he comes into the pits at the very first opportunity to get it sorted then maybe no punishment required? But he stayed out a lap or two didn't he?

dans79
dans79
248
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Shouldn't be driving without a seatbelt obviously, but I think under the circumstances as long as he comes into the pits at the very first opportunity to get it sorted then maybe no punishment required? But he stayed out a lap or two didn't he?
He did two laps, but considering where he spun, he didn't really need to do more than about 100 yards.
161 97 92 6

User avatar
El Scorchio
21
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

dans79 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Shouldn't be driving without a seatbelt obviously, but I think under the circumstances as long as he comes into the pits at the very first opportunity to get it sorted then maybe no punishment required? But he stayed out a lap or two didn't he?
He did two laps, but considering where he spun, he didn't really need to do more than about 100 yards.
Thought so! I'd definitely think about a punishment for that, then. It's really dangerous. He's also got a history for it too doesn't he? What race was it last year when he ignored being called into the pits for driving around with damage?

dans79
dans79
248
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:33 pm
Location: USA

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm
dans79 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Shouldn't be driving without a seatbelt obviously, but I think under the circumstances as long as he comes into the pits at the very first opportunity to get it sorted then maybe no punishment required? But he stayed out a lap or two didn't he?
He did two laps, but considering where he spun, he didn't really need to do more than about 100 yards.
Thought so! I'd definitely think about a punishment for that, then. It's really dangerous. He's also got a history for it too doesn't he? What race was it last year when he ignored being called into the pits for driving around with damage?
That was in Japan and he only came in after the debris broke free and hit Hamilton's car.
https://www.formula1.com/en/video/2019/ ... rrari.html
161 97 92 6

User avatar
Big Tea
125
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:03 pm
dans79 wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 3:12 pm
El Scorchio wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Shouldn't be driving without a seatbelt obviously, but I think under the circumstances as long as he comes into the pits at the very first opportunity to get it sorted then maybe no punishment required? But he stayed out a lap or two didn't he?
He did two laps, but considering where he spun, he didn't really need to do more than about 100 yards.
Thought so! I'd definitely think about a punishment for that, then. It's really dangerous. He's also got a history for it too doesn't he? What race was it last year when he ignored being called into the pits for driving around with damage?
I know whats coming now.... TD number 00~xxx all seat and safety belts restraints and associated must be capable of being fitted quickly by the driver, quickly efficiently and unaided at anytime he is in the car
I am very much in favour of filtered water. Preferably passed through a brewery

Wynters
Wynters
65
Joined: Sun May 15, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Big Tea wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm
I know whats coming now.... TD number 00~xxx all seat and safety belts restraints and associated must be capable of being fitted quickly by the driver, quickly efficiently and unaided at anytime he is in the car
I'm not sure if I would be in favour of that sort of TD. If you make it easy to do, drivers will do it. However, it's just a gut feeling, I could easily be wrong.

e.g. There would certainly be an argument that you might not want the driver to hesitate to release his belt in an emergency because he's worried that will definitely be him out of the race.

User avatar
Big Tea
125
Joined: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:57 pm

Re: 2020 Spanish Grand Prix - Catalunya, August 14 - 16

Post

Wynters wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:27 pm
Big Tea wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:12 pm
I know whats coming now.... TD number 00~xxx all seat and safety belts restraints and associated must be capable of being fitted quickly by the driver, quickly efficiently and unaided at anytime he is in the car
I'm not sure if I would be in favour of that sort of TD. If you make it easy to do, drivers will do it. However, it's just a gut feeling, I could easily be wrong.

e.g. There would certainly be an argument that you might not want the driver to hesitate to release his belt in an emergency because he's worried that will definitely be him out of the race.
It is the sort of kneejerk thing they usually do. I suppose it would involve some sort of pre-tensining motor on the straps.

Still fingers crossed they see sense. (well, my version of sense that is)
I am very much in favour of filtered water. Preferably passed through a brewery