2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
etusch

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Big Tea

Hmmmm, not one mask
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

El Scorchio

notsofast wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:22
Some have asked when a VSC would be appropriate. That's a valid question. Based on past behavior, the FIA and/or race director seem to have decided the following:
  • Disabled cars shall be removed from the track
  • When marshals are on track, the safety car shall be deployed
  • When a barrier needs extensive repairs, the race shall be red-flagged
Given the above, can anyone come up with scenarios where a VSC is appropriate? I'm having a hard time thinking of one. Car that has spun and wants to get back on track? Probably double yellow. Animal running on the track? Probably a safety car. I like the concept of the VSC but I'm not sure there's any use for it if the items above are followed.
They may as well get rid of it as I don’t think they have any intention of using it in F1 in the near future regardless of circumstances.

Jolle

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:11
Jolle wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 19:57
I wonder, on Vettel’s car, the left rear gave way and even caught fire. Could this has happened to Leclec as well? Broke his suspension enough to crash on a right hander. When the marshal took his left wheel out of the barrier, it was still burning/smoking.
In the footage, I saw two items fly from the rear of his car. They could have been aero bits, but maybe they were the actual brake pads coming out. No idea if that's possible with all of the stuff wrapped around the brake caliper, however.

Whatever caused it resulted in a total loss of braking. With split systems and a balance bar, losing one side will give a long pedal even if the other side is still full of fluid. (By side, I mean one side of the balance bar i.e. either the front or the rear brake system).
Brakepads can only fall out if the calliper is off the disk or the disk is gone. Probably the small winglets that melted off.

LM10

Big Tea wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:16
Hmmmm, not one mask
Sarcasm? :)

dans79

El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:36
notsofast wrote:
Some have asked when a VSC would be appropriate. That's a valid question. Based on past behavior, the FIA and/or race director seem to have decided the following:
Given the above, can anyone come up with scenarios where a VSC is appropriate? I'm having a hard time thinking of one. Car that has spun and wants to get back on track? Probably double yellow. Animal running on the track? Probably a safety car. I like the concept of the VSC but I'm not sure there's any use for it if the items above are followed.
They may as well get rid of it as I don’t think they have any intention of using it in F1 in the near future regardless of circumstances.
Yeah, it seems like the FIA are using safety cars now to try and keep a segment of the fanbase happy!
197 104 103 7

JordanMugen

notsofast wrote:
Race director Michael Masi is from V8 Supercars, there is no VSC in V8 Supercars. :)

I am sure VSC can be retained in regulations for whatever incident it is required, but it is entirely sensible that full safety car is deployed every time marshalls need to go on track.

Recovering cars under double-waved-yellows like in F1 15 years ago was outrageous. V8 Supercars was using full safety car for such things 15 years ago, and it is thankful F1 is no longer so cavalier with letting volunteer marshalls take risks or have drivers risk crashing into heavy machinery or trucks.

NL_Fer

VSC should be fine for car stopped off track with a technical problem.

No crashing, no carbon, no doctor, just a broke down car to be towed.

El Scorchio

JordanMugen wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 22:00
notsofast wrote:
Race director Michael Masi is from V8 Supercars, there is no VSC in V8 Supercars. :)

I am sure VSC can be retained in regulations for whatever incident it is required, but it is entirely sensible that full safety car is deployed every time marshalls need to go on track.

Recovering cars under double-waved-yellows like in F1 15 years ago was outrageous. V8 Supercars was using full safety car for such things 15 years ago, and it is thankful F1 is no longer so cavalier with letting volunteer marshalls take risks or have drivers risk crashing into heavy machinery or trucks.
But it's being deployed when they don't as well, which is the problem.
As for Masi, he shouldn't adapt F1 to his sensibilities from running a different kind of car racing altogether. He should adapt his own to F1. Or like I said, if they aren't going to use it, then get rid of it and remove it from the equasion entirely.

El Scorchio

dans79 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 21:58
El Scorchio wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:36
notsofast wrote:
Yeah, it seems like the FIA are using safety cars now to try and keep a segment of the fanbase happy!
I do wonder if he'd be so quick to call for full SC if there was an incident in the last 15 laps of yesterday's race, or maybe decide under THOSE circumstances it was finally appropriate to use the VSC for the first time this season....

Big Tea

LM10 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 21:52
Big Tea wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 20:16
Hmmmm, not one mask
Sarcasm? :)
Wondering on the timeframe of the vid. looks more like football
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Sieper

This was in the local COVID-19 excempt zone. For virus non believers. The actually were celebrating it was confirmed by the spaghetti monster that the earth is flat.

Yes, very old meme.

Just_a_fan

Not sure if this has been posted already, but here's Hamilton's red flag radio comms. Starts by asking if Leclerc is ok on approach to the pits, goes through the discussion about the best time to take the penalty. Ends with the pull out of the pit lane.

Also, radio comms from the weekend in general.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Manoah2u

Moore77 wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 10:20
Manoah2u wrote:
07 Sep 2020, 10:14

Hulkenberg? :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:
It doesn't matter what the name is.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: depends on who you'd ask,
I think it matters a lot to Max that it's Gasly's name that's nr 1 on the Monza GP list, and not his :mrgreen:

"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

Manoah2u

Wass85 wrote:
06 Sep 2020, 19:49
Crazy to think Hamilton is now not far off a race ban.
crazy to think that a race ban would even influence the outcome, he's gonna be 7-title WDC this year no matter what. 'haters gonna hate'.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"