2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
NL_Fer
NL_Fer
77
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:48 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

Phil wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:50 pm
I have to say, I don't "mind" Hamilton losing a win like this (and considering the WDC position he is currently in), however, I must say I find it a bit baffling that a decision to close the pitlane for the essentially safety reasons (which it always is), is simply a few markers on the outside of a corner and a bulletin message. I would assume and hope that something that is communicated for safety reasons to be highlighted appropriately that there is little margin for error, because, there could be potential lives at stake (of marshals there etc).
Your are so right.

It is two crosses and 4th page message to prevent drivers from crashing into Magnussens car. :|

User avatar
Unc1eM0nty
6
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:18 pm
Location: Yorkshire (Gods own county)

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

Merc debrief with some more insite on missing the pit closure ans a few other things


sosic2121
sosic2121
19
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

Schuttelberg wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:17 pm
sosic2121 wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:02 am
Schuttelberg wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:00 pm


Yes I am talking about Bottas. I think Felipe was a feisty little character and while he was no Hamilton, he wasn't a pu$$y! Obviously, I'm not talking about the likes of Badoer or Yammmamoto or Ide but I don't think I've seen a worse driver than Bottas in a championship capable car and he's the worst by some margin. Obviously, he'll win another couple of races this year but he is not the foot nail of Rosberg and let's not even talk about Hamilton even though Lewis is Lewis and being his team mate is very hard.
I agree with this. But couple of times when Lewis dropped the ball, he would step up and keep Ferraris from winning.

Maybe he has No.2 in his contract. And he's doing a perfect job.
Why do you need Bottas for that? There's Binotto!
:lol: :lol: :lol: =D>

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

A quick side question: What would have been the problem with just leaving Magnussen’s car there? Without the driver inside, obviously.
¡Puxa Esportin!

sosic2121
sosic2121
19
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

hollus wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 pm
A quick side question: What would have been the problem with just leaving Magnussen’s car there? Without the driver inside, obviously.
"potentially other car could crash into it" That's how this modern, politically correct works.
Didn't SC also decided last year Russian GP? Although Ferrari could have told Seb to drive to the box...

User avatar
RZS10
153
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:23 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

The 0.000000000000001% chance of a freak accident of a driver crashing in exactly the same spot where the parked car is....

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan
639
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:37 pm

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

hollus wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:09 pm
A quick side question: What would have been the problem with just leaving Magnussen’s car there? Without the driver inside, obviously.
No problem at all. But modern F1 doesn't leave cars anywhere that might get hit, even if the chance is remote.
Turbo says "Dumpster sounds so much more classy. It's the diamond of the cesspools." oh, and "The Dutch fans are drunk. Maybe"

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
¡Puxa Esportin!

User avatar
siskue2005
185
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

hollus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am
I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely.
Yes, definitely, a second CAT going through there is very very very unlikely :lol: :lol: :lol:

sosic2121
sosic2121
19
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:14 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

What if that car was there when Hamilton left the track to dodge someone. I think it was FP.
Leaving car there reduces the chance to avoid collision in the first place.
Since car is next to the straight, in hypothetical crash cars will not hit the barrier directly, but slide next to it.

Not that any of this is important.
Car stopped > SC

ispano6
ispano6
244
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 pm
Location: my playseat

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

hollus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am
I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened to Billy Monger? He lost both legs crashing full speed into a stopped car. Do you remember the circumstances of what led to Jules Bianchi's death crashing in the same place as a previous driver as the stricken car was being removed?
These rules should not even be questioned, they are there because of lives lost and the tragic consequences of not having them in place.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized for not obeying a safety protocol. Mercedes should have been fined for their indescretion as should have Alfa Romeo.
The rear crash structure and rear wing and related protrusions could very well get through the halo's openings, smashing into or piercing the driver like what happened to Senna (yes I know no other cars were involved but the human body is frail and head is exposed) .

e30ernest
e30ernest
10
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:47 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:11 am
hollus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am
I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened to Billy Monger? He lost both legs crashing full speed into a stopped car. Do you remember the circumstances of what led to Jules Bianchi's death crashing in the same place as a previous driver as the stricken car was being removed?
These rules should not even be questioned, they are there because of lives lost and the tragic consequences of not having them in place.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized for not obeying a safety protocol. Mercedes should have been fined for their indescretion as should have Alfa Romeo.
The rear crash structure and rear wing and related protrusions could very well get through the halo's openings, smashing into or piercing the driver like what happened to Senna (yes I know no other cars were involved but the human body is frail and head is exposed) .
Yeah these were my thoughts too. I do understand that the position of KMag's car was in an area where it was unlikely anyone would crash into, but I think the decision to bring out the SC just to be on the safe side was definitely the right move.

User avatar
El Scorchio
22
Joined: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

I remember the old days when parked/abandoned cars would just sit by the track for the rest of the race! Understand why that can't happen any more, even if the chance of anyone hitting it is absolutely minute.

However, (I know it's been done) that was a VSC incident all day for me rather than full SC. Especially considering the ridiculous F2 screengrab Siskue posted.

User avatar
hollus
Moderator
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:21 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

ispano6 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:11 am
hollus wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:44 am
I guess I did not tone the question exactly right... so first of all, yes, I fully agree, a second cat going to the same spot was unlikely. But if that were to happen, so what? The car is not fixed, it would actually dampen a hypothetical barrier hit into two lesser hits, it would add a second set of crash structures... are they afraid of one car on the grass launching a second car into the air or something like that?
Are you serious? Do you not remember what happened to Billy Monger? He lost both legs crashing full speed into a stopped car. Do you remember the circumstances of what led to Jules Bianchi's death crashing in the same place as a previous driver as the stricken car was being removed?
These rules should not even be questioned, they are there because of lives lost and the tragic consequences of not having them in place.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized for not obeying a safety protocol. Mercedes should have been fined for their indescretion as should have Alfa Romeo.
The rear crash structure and rear wing and related protrusions could very well get through the halo's openings, smashing into or piercing the driver like what happened to Senna (yes I know no other cars were involved but the human body is frail and head is exposed) .
I am serious, ispano. Why the need to ask? Are you suggesting that I am... nevermind.
I had never seen the details of Billy Monger's crash. Now I have since you pointed it out and yes, it makes it clear that crashing onto a static car can neglect the presence of crash structures if the angle is just wrong. So point completely conceded and something learnt. Clearly leaving the car there is not the best plan.
I disagree on Bianchi, though, the problem there was precisely trying to remove the car. But irrelevant in any case in view of Monger's accident.
People shouldn't ask for rules changes just because their favorite driver and team was penalized ...
Are you serious? The furthest from a Hamilton or Mercedes fan here (hint: Asturias). I couldn't care less if Hamilton won or lost, on merit or by luck. It bothers me, though, that everyone seems to be categorized into pro or anti Hamilton, pro or anti Ferrari, etc. I (am many others here) just like the high speed chess games, the engineering marvels at work and the drivers doing the seemingly impossible with said marvels. Well, and asturian drivers, of course.
¡Puxa Esportin!

User avatar
TAG
118
Joined: Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: in a good place

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

Post

It's a vale of butthurt here. Figured I'd pop in with an anecdote to make it al better, or worse depending on your perspective. Hamilton has lost more races due to massive team screw ups than most F1 drivers have ever won in their careers. I enjoyed Sunday's race because life if often stranger than fiction... unless we're talking about Renault's Singapore win. LOL
माकडाच्या हाती कोलीत