2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
PlatinumZealot

Re: 2020 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, September 4 - 6

ispano6 wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 19:58
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 17:37

Renualt? Jean Todt and FIA are Ferrari Loyalists.

They couldn't give two dingle berries about Renault.
"The FIA is generally known by its French name or initials, even in non-French-speaking countries, but is occasionally rendered as International Automobile Federation."

"Jean Todt is a French former rally driver who went on to become Peugeot Talbot Sport's ..."

Jean Todt: "When I talk to those responsible at Renault they tell me they will go out of F1 if this new engine does not come in 2013. When I talk to Mercedes and Ferrari they ask me to postpone the introduction for a couple of years. They are not against the rules but want them postponed. So in the coming days I will keep up the contacts personally to see where we are," added Jean Todt.

(New engine Formula did in fact come in, Mercedes of course fooling everyone)
Grosjean: I raced with illegal Renault F1 brake bias system in 2015

Oct 2019
"The Renault Formula 1 team acknowledges its now-illegal braking system was a driver aid but was "absolutely convinced" of its legitimacy because it was introduced before this season." They happened to be caught in Japan, at Honda's home turf.

From Autosport:

Abiteboul:
"[Approaching the FIA] is not something we've done because we were absolutely convinced, as further demonstrated, that we were legal.

"And we were legal from a technical perspective."

Abiteboul accepted that "it is a driver aid, but a number of things are a driver aid", highlighting automatic energy recovery system deployment as an example.

"At some point you need to accept there is an element of subjectivity [in the rules]," he added.

"It's been used since so many years that we never thought it could be put into question until what happened presently."

Asked specifically how long Renault has used the system, he replied: "I don't want to go into details but it's not from this season.

"It's from before."

Abiteboul admitted that Renault needs to have stronger processes when establishing the legality of its ideas.
June 2020
Jean Todt: “Beside this, we have had the pleasure of learning about Renault’s decision to continue.”
Sounds pretty accommodating to me.

Aug 2020
Ricciardo had a BRAKE-BY-WIRE issue in Belgium and didn't go out after Q2 but Renault were unusually confident that they would make it to Q3 without even knowing what other teams would set in Q2.
Weak evidence. And if you think everything is Nationalism you have much to learn about F1 young Ispano.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racer X

Wass85 wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 20:56
Big Tea wrote:
31 Aug 2020, 20:44
The leader has more than double the points of second man and not a merc in sight No other comment :mrgreen:
Verstappen is in a class of his own.
Class B :D
RedBull Racing Checo//PEREZ

zibby43

Back in the days where the gaps in the top 10 were so tight and every race was a thriller.

Ringleheim

zibby43 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 00:11
Back in the days where the gaps in the top 10 were so tight and every race was a thriller.

https://twitter.com/karunchandhok/statu ... 25729?s=21
But the beauty of F1 back then was that just watching the cars go round the track was highly entertaining, and they sounded incredible.

The spectacle was much greater than what we have now.

Xwang

Ringleheim wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 00:29
zibby43 wrote:

But the beauty of F1 back then was that just watching the cars go round the track was highly entertaining, and they sounded incredible.

Moreover even if the leader had a lot of margin, reliability at that time was a lot worse than now so until the chequered flag nobody was sure.

dans79

Ringleheim wrote:
Only if your were fond of giving yourself Tinnitus!
197 104 103 7

ispano6

PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2020, 23:25
Weak evidence. And if you think everything is Nationalism you have much to learn about F1 young Ispano.
My cynicism is warranted, we had two teams caught cheating last year. I just laid out the facts as they are. It seems there needs to be an Arbiter of Truth here in this forum, which is disappointing, because I generally regard all F1 fans as having a semblance of acumen.

PlatinumZealot

ispano6 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 03:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
My cynicism is warranted, we had two teams caught cheating last year. I just laid out the facts as they are. It seems there needs to be an Arbiter of Truth here in this forum, which is disappointing, because I generally regard all F1 fans as having a semblance of acumen.
Renault's trick was more or less a "soft" driver aid so the punishment was never going to be harsh. The driver turned a knob that set the brake-balance for them for a series of turns. It didn't make the car faster. Just easier on the drivers wrists. The driver still had to "program" the balance in on the track so it was a bit of a grey area of what is driver control or not.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Moore77

Ringleheim wrote:
zibby43 wrote:

It's called Legacy Mindset. It makes you feel the past was more rosier.

One thing I agree is the sound part. I loved the screeching V8 onboards. It feels like the engine is trying come out of the car, like Hulk growing.

[media]

[/media]
Last edited by Moore77 on 02 Sep 2020, 06:05, edited 1 time in total.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Zynerji

dans79 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 01:37
Ringleheim wrote:
Only if your were fond of giving yourself Tinnitus!
I don't my TV can give me tinnitus at normal viewing levels...

dans79

Zynerji wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 06:04
I don't my TV can give me tinnitus at normal viewing levels...
Just to be clear, I was referring to being trackside.
197 104 103 7

kalinka

Any detailed description of the new party-mode regulation? I've read somewhere that it only affects ICE settings. ERS settings still can use special settings. There's still a lot of speculation around this.

Sieper

well, that is mapping, programming where to use the ERS deployment. So yes, that will remain possible. What you cannot do anymore is set the ICE (turbo boost, ignition timing, fuel mixture) etc. differently.

El Scorchio

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 04:17
ispano6 wrote:
02 Sep 2020, 03:52
PlatinumZealot wrote:
Renault's trick was more or less a "soft" driver aid so the punishment was never going to be harsh. The driver turned a knob that set the brake-balance for them for a series of turns. It didn't make the car faster. Just easier on the drivers wrists. The driver still had to "program" the balance in on the track so it was a bit of a grey area of what is driver control or not.
It might be easier for us all just to agree that everyone in the whole of F1 except Honda and RBR are filthy cheats, all running illegal cars and engines, and conspiring and making backhanders with the FIA.

Sieper

Ofcourse not. They all cheat. But what Ferrari has done has been exceptional. As can be seen by where they now are.