2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
basti313

Re: 2020 Bahrain Grand Prix - Sakhir, Nov 27 - 29

Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:29
basti313 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:18
zibby43 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:11

No doubt. Doesn't seem like that dynamic is going smoothly inside the team right now.
Yes...sounds a bit like they will not drive together next year.
Or they are going to be driving together and Max isn't happy with that decision. He's basically publicly saying to the team "this guy isn't good enough".
That would be a bit childish if the decision is done to keep Albon or if there is not clear which way they will go. Although the tongue of Max is a bit loose this season, I think he has grown out of this and is acting professional.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Big Tea

mzso wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:19
Big Tea wrote:
29 Nov 2020, 23:27
There is a news clip here of what looks to be about .5ltr petrol 'going up', and it is probably straight pump grade not the witches brew used in F1.
I really can not see that as a full tank going up.

Believe it or not fuel doesn't burn all at once. Even if it spills it may pool in a confined are if not on an extremely flat surface, so it doesn't create huge fires instantly.
It is the vapour that burns, and hitting a barrier would splash a lot of it about, as with the thrown bottle in the vid.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

Just_a_fan

basti313 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:29
basti313 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:18

Yes...sounds a bit like they will not drive together next year.
Or they are going to be driving together and Max isn't happy with that decision. He's basically publicly saying to the team "this guy isn't good enough".
That would be a bit childish if the decision is done to keep Albon or if there is not clear which way they will go. Although the tongue of Max is a bit loose this season, I think he has grown out of this and is acting professional.
He is much better than he was in this regard, I agree. But he was asked a question just after the race when the drivers' are generally at their most "unprofessional" in their answers. We see it from many of them when asked questions just after the race: they give an answer that seems a bit "unprofessional" because they're still buzzing and they don't want to be talking to journalists who ask them inane questions week after week.

I bet if they'd asked him this morning, he'd have said "yes, great job by Alex to get some good points for the team" or some other bland PR-speak.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

e30ernest

basti313 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 10:58
e30ernest wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 10:20
If memory serves me right, he got his first puncture during the safety car period during Stroll's crash. That would be his pit into lap 4. That pushed him to the back of the grid and would explain his laptimes after that.
No. Free air is free air. His car was easily 3 sec faster than the cars around, still he could not overtake...when everyone in front of him pitted at some point the problem showed up...he was about 2 sec off pace from the top cars.
e30ernest wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 10:20
He also got a second puncture if I remember correctly after his last pit stop (or maybe they were just replaying the old radio message). At that point he was able to just nurse the car back since Perez triggered another safety car.
The second puncture did not play any role...and I am not sure if it was Bot with the puncture or the car in front of him that had the front wing on the ground during the SC period.
That early puncture meant his pit stops were out of sync and his strategy was not optimal. He still had to spend a substantial amount of time behind other cars and he was also probably nursing his tires more than he would so that he can get the most out of his compromised strategy.

Again, I am not his biggest fan, but I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for this race.

Phil

Bottas was also stuck in a "train of DRS" in the early stages of the race, meaning that his DRS was useless as the car he was trying to overtake also had DRS. Bottas sure didn't have his best day yesterday, but pulling off an easy DRS is doable for any driver, if the car and the delta advantage allows it and is enough. The Mercedes perhaps is also the car least set up for being in the pack and doing overtakes vs the midfield teams who are.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wouter

The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

I was just looking at his profile, where did his points come from?
Previous series points expire after 3 years dont they?

Not having a downer on him or anything just wondering
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

maxxer

Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:41
nzjrs wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:37
Yeah, exactly in describing the accident! He really is a joke.

I agree with the spirit of the rest of your post by the way, it is a multifaceted question, but omg crofty, just omg.
I don't watch the Sky coverage, his commentary is terrible so it doesn't surprise me. The C4 team has DC + MW, two recent drivers, and we've had Ben Edwards who's brilliant... although he's leaving this year :cry:
Sky : one nagging about track limits and the other wants reverse grids just to make it artificially more exciting.
Tired of their constant cliche sayings and pub style of commentary

SiLo

Big Tea wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 12:42

Why are they not using their test drivers?
Felipe Baby!

NathanOlder

Big Tea wrote:

I came here to ask the same question. how does he have an F1 Super Licence?
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

basti313

Phil wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 12:26
Bottas was also stuck in a "train of DRS" in the early stages of the race, meaning that his DRS was useless as the car he was trying to overtake also had DRS. Bottas sure didn't have his best day yesterday, but pulling off an easy DRS is doable for any driver, if the car and the delta advantage allows it and is enough. The Mercedes perhaps is also the car least set up for being in the pack and doing overtakes vs the midfield teams who are.
This train was 4 sec off the pace of Hamilton in some laps. I do not think there is a good excuse for not being able to overtake at the speed the others were going.
Don`t russel the hamster!

jjn9128

zibby43 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:02
Max went straight savage on Albon after the race.

Completely unsolicited, too.

Interviewer: “Good thing that Alex takes the podium and score some good points.”

Max: “Well yeah, that’s your conclusion but if you trail your teammate with 30-40 seconds you can hardly say he did a good job. Still nice for Alex to score a podium though.”

Yikes.
I think max is on the record that he wants Hulk in the other car.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

NathanOlder wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 13:09
Big Tea wrote:

I came here to ask the same question. how does he have an F1 Super Licence?
If a driver has previously got enough points for a superlicense it's up to the FIAs discretion to give them a license. Like kubica, though he was previously a race winner.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

i70q7m7ghw

Phil wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:40
Diesel wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:24
nzjrs wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 01:10
Joe Saward amongst others (some of the-race.com crew too)
Joe Saward is just a jorno, it's just his opinion, he has nothing to back it up such as having worked or raced with Mick. I wouldn't even take it with a pinch of salt, it's a fairly meaningless view.
It's not just his opinion - his insight into what people inside the paddock think is very valuable and I'd take it with a lot more than just a pinch of salt. Mick has the name and that will probably get him a seat even if he doesn't win the F2 championship. That doesn't mean he's the best driver of the lot.
It's still only what people "think", not what they know. More often than not a lot of the jorno's call it wrong, it's mostly conjecture, very little of it based on data or experience. The contacts these people tend to have are commercial/press types, not normally the engineers or anyone that would genuinely know if a driver was better or worse, or how they're performing etc. Also, a lot of those particular jornos (the-race.com) have a history of releasing nonsense.
Last edited by i70q7m7ghw on 30 Nov 2020, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.

Unc1eM0nty

zibby43 wrote:
30 Nov 2020, 11:02
Max went straight savage on Albon after the race.

Completely unsolicited, too.

Interviewer: “Good thing that Alex takes the podium and score some good points.”

Max: “Well yeah, that’s your conclusion but if you trail your teammate with 30-40 seconds you can hardly say he did a good job. Still nice for Alex to score a podium though.”

Yikes.
Ouch !!! that's savage coming from your team mate