2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Just_a_fan

Re: 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix - Sakhir, Dec 04 - 06

I assume that the bare armco on the inside of what is normally Turn 12 will be provided with some additional protection for this race. This is barrier will be facing the drivers as they approach the kink that is labelled T9 for this race (where the link track joins the two usual bits of circuit together to form the "oval").

In this photo, it's bottom left and has an access track behind it and then a rock cliff. Drivers go through the slow left/right of T7 / T8 and then accelerate on to the straight. Anyone "doing a Grosjean" at this point will go straight in to a bare armco at 90 degrees. Presumably it'll get a layer of tyres as appears to be used in other parts of the track.

If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Wouter

Romain is out of the hospital now and gets further private treatment for his burns.

Look what he posted to Mick with one finger. =D> =D> =D>

The Power of Dreams!

basti313

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:36
mwillems wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:25
Yes but is the pressure just on Russell? What happens if he outperforms Bottas and is very very close....?
There is pressure on both. I think less so on Russell, he'll not be expected to perform his very best with one run in the car, just achieve something close to the cars potential. For Bottas, he simply has to beat Russell, no excuses (other than car failure, more punctures, or maybe if the team fluff a pitstop).
I totally agree, the discussion is not really hot.
Russel will not be able to extract the last 0.2 tenths from the car. That should leave Bot with a save lead in Q. Same in the race, there is no chance that Rus extracts the same tire life.
So without something big bad happening I can not see Rus beating Bot. And if something happens, then this will be the excuse.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Restomaniac

jjn9128 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Yes but is the pressure just on Russell? What happens if he outperforms Bottas and is very very close....?
There is pressure on both. I think less so on Russell, he'll not be expected to perform his very best with one run in the car, just achieve something close to the cars potential. For Bottas, he simply has to beat Russell, no excuses (other than car failure, more punctures, or maybe if the team fluff a pitstop).
The problem is, and I hate to be ‘that guy’ over this but Bottas has had a habit of cracking under extreme pressure.

Don’t get me wrong Russell isn’t opposed to cock-ups (Austria and more insanely in Italy!). But I put some of that down to him wringing the neck out of the Williams lap after lap.

Sieper

PlatinumZealot wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 04:51
Sieper wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 01:30
What if Russell gets the seat, which seems to be shaping up as likely, why would he not be able to win straight away. The Merc car is an absolute powerhouse this season. 2014 level. Max did it in similar circumstances against a team mate I rate higher than Bottas and with another team in the Mix. Allthough, in that case, the mercs were out of the mix it has to be said. But then again, those 2015 cars were much more difficult to drive. Much less grip and downforce.

I personally think it quite likely Russell could win. Is that good for Hamilton? Would merc take that into consideration?
Possible.. Max won because Riccardo did an extra pitstop. Also the Bulls were easily second fastest with Merc out of tge picture and Ferrari no threat. This weekend the 2nd Mercedes driver will have the worse strategy ans he will be under threat from the RedBulls so it will be a much harder task but very possible that Russel could win...
While I dont agree that Ricciardo and Vettel were on the B strategy that weekend in Spain I do agree it is likely Mercedes will favour Bottas for the win, just like Vettel and Ricciardo were indeed.

Sieper

TAG wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 03:12
Sieper wrote:
What if Russell gets the seat, which seems to be shaping up as likely, why would he not be able to win straight away. The Merc car is an absolute powerhouse this season. 2014 level. Max did it in similar circumstances against a team mate I rate higher than Bottas and with another team in the Mix. Allthough, in that case, the mercs were out of the mix it has to be said. But then again, those 2015 cars were much more difficult to drive. Much less grip and downforce.

I personally think it quite likely Russell could win. Is that good for Hamilton? Would merc take that into consideration?
How did Max do the rest of that and the subsequent year? You saying that winning one race would prove what? The only one who'd be under pressure to win Sunday would be Bottas.
extremely good, he was up against 2 dominating Mercs and as good Ferrari's in his first half year in the RBR second year in F1. Yes, the pressure is on Bottas that is very clear.

mwillems

Restomaniac wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:24
jjn9128 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
The problem is, and I hate to be ‘that guy’ over this but Bottas has had a habit of cracking under extreme pressure.

Don’t get me wrong Russell isn’t opposed to cock-ups (Austria and more insanely in Italy!). But I put some of that down to him wringing the neck out of the Williams lap after lap.
Thats my point, the focus is on Russell, but the stakes are high for Bottas. He has to put Russell down hard to keep him away from his seat.
Give a man a fire, and he will be warm for a night.
Set a man on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

siskue2005

Wouter wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 10:38

:lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Moore77

Sieper wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:29
TAG wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 03:12
Sieper wrote:

How did Max do the rest of that and the subsequent year? You saying that winning one race would prove what? The only one who'd be under pressure to win Sunday would be Bottas.
extremely good, he was up against 2 dominating Mercs and as good Ferrari's in his first half year in the RBR second year in F1. Yes, the pressure is on Bottas that is very clear.
He won because both Mercs crashed and his non preferred strategy of one stop turned out to be the better strategy, on a track where following and overtaking was impossible for 2016 cars. He did drive very well though. Not everyone can be lucky like that.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

siskue2005

jjn9128 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 00:42
siskue2005 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 00:23
Seriously??? Not everything in the world is brought through financial recompense?!!!? Do you think this is a slave trade in 1800????!!??!?!

(p.s: just borrowing your exclamations and query marks.. without any financial recompense?!!!? :lol: )
You're just incredibly naive then. F1 is a business and the new owners will see Russell as the greater of their two assets - to a team this is what a driver is - he is the most likely of their 2 drivers to score points which could be worth millions to them if they can beat Haas in the championship. For them to give him up would require something in return - quid pro quo - after all he has a contract to drive for them in 2020 and 2021 that's not slavery but a valid and legal contract between driver and team. In F1 contracts, unless you're Vettel or Hamilton, the power is with the team - they can sack you without recourse but you can't leave without buying the contract out.
Wolff thanks 'open-minded' Williams for releasing Russell to Mercedes

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... 5m_0KTFZbU

Restomaniac

mwillems wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:30
Restomaniac wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:24
jjn9128 wrote:

Thats my point, the focus is on Russell, but the stakes are high for Bottas. He has to put Russell down hard to keep him away from his seat.
Yep only being say 1/10th ahead in qualifying and 5 seconds ahead in the race won’t be good enough.

mwillems wrote:
214270 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 09:32
Here is RUSs opportunity. It’s a clunky fit but that’s just how it is; it’s very rarely smooth when your number gets called up.

RUS may not be familiar with this iteration of racecar but he has done something like 600 laps in Merc machinery since ‘17. He’s been in F1 pretty much 2 seasons now; in a zero-pressure car/environment and he’s been paired against mediocre teammates.

No more excuses. Slap some expectation on his shoulders, let’s see what you’re truly made of. It’s now or never.
I doubt there’s any complexity for BOT; his psychology will be to crush RUS. For sure it will be different as he’s now defacto figurehead, but he’ll be motivated to silence the critics against the one who’s widely talked about as the pilot that should be in that seat.

And as to whether he’ll be faster than BOT, let’s wait and see.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

jjn9128

siskue2005 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:33

Being open minded has nothing to do with not requesting/requiring remuneration.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

jjn9128

siskue2005 wrote:
02 Dec 2020, 11:33

Being open minded has nothing to do with not requesting/requiring remuneration.
#aerogandalf
"There is one big friend. It is downforce. And once you have this it’s a big mate and it’s helping a lot." Robert Kubica

El Scorchio

I think it's difficult to throw out arbitrary statements about where Russell should finish relative to Bottas and how much Bottas should win by.
Russell is an huge unknown quality at the moment. If you canvas opinion on here, some think he's right up there, and others think he's nothing special at all.

We will get some sort of answer to some of these questions after the weekend, but ultimately my feeling is whatever the result, certain people are going to use it as a stick to beat one or the other, or both of them with.