2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moore77

Re: 2020 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix - Yas Marina Circuit, Dec 11 - 13

siskue2005 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:23
Moore77 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:21
siskue2005 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:18

No, it is always the haters who comes up with all the statements seen above! not anyone else
Could you lick it better than this? Move on. Bad result, under performance on a track where Mercedes used to dominate.
Lick it better? :roll: whats that?
They brought an unfit driver, who should have told them he isn't fully fit. Their fault. Stop the nonsense and accept it.
Please bring source to your claim Lewis is unfit??
Stop the nonsense
Ok genius. Take another one... this one, straight admission from your man himself.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... n=widget-1
Lewis Hamilton confessed to feeling "massively" below par in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, as the Formula 1 world champion said the ongoing impact of coronavirus continued to dog him.

Asked if he felt coronavirus had impacted him in the race, he said: "Physically, massively. I don't think I've ever been so blown.

"My body is not feeling great, but look on the bright side I made it through. I didn't think anytime last week that I'll be here.
So next time, be a little more rationale and stop calling people trolls, just because they say what you don't like.

Someone really screwed up in assessing what's good for the team, it's either the team or Hamilton himself. They should have been more pragmatic about assessing Hamilton's fitness to participate in a racing weekend. Glad it didn't cost Hamilton much, other than a bad race result.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

f1jcw

Moore77 wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 20:14
siskue2005 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:23
Moore77 wrote:
12 Dec 2020, 16:21
Could you lick it better than this? Move on. Bad result, under performance on a track where Mercedes used to dominate.
Lick it better? :roll: whats that?
They brought an unfit driver, who should have told them he isn't fully fit. Their fault. Stop the nonsense and accept it.
Please bring source to your claim Lewis is unfit??
Stop the nonsense
Ok genius. Take another one... this one, straight admission from your man himself.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/hami ... n=widget-1
Lewis Hamilton confessed to feeling "massively" below par in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, as the Formula 1 world champion said the ongoing impact of coronavirus continued to dog him.

Asked if he felt coronavirus had impacted him in the race, he said: "Physically, massively. I don't think I've ever been so blown.

"My body is not feeling great, but look on the bright side I made it through. I didn't think anytime last week that I'll be here.
So next time, be a little more rationale and stop calling people trolls, just because they say what you don't like.

Someone really screwed up in assessing what's good for the team, it's either the team or Hamilton himself. They should have been more pragmatic about assessing Hamilton's fitness to participate in a racing weekend. Glad it didn't cost Hamilton much, other than a bad race result.
I'm a Lewis fan and I think it was stupid of him to drive.

Mchamilton

f1jcw wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 19:21
Mchamilton wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 19:17
f1jcw wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 19:05

Well, if Redbull sign Perez next year I will support them.

I've supported Hamilton since 2007, but for some reason having Bottas in the seat next year bores me and I can't be arsed with them.

If Redbull don't sign Perez \_o_/
fickle fan much?
I don't think supporting since 2007, or seeing Lewis race at silverstone 2006 counts as fickle. But you might have different criteria.

I think we could do with a change and if Redbull are going to do that by offering Perez a well deserved seat I think they will be enough to earn my attention.

Bottas is done, their is no excitement in or out of the car with him. It is about time Mercedes thought of the fans and decide to offer something different at the top to freshen things up. If they don't want to do that, fine it is their choice, but it is also my choice.

There was a buzz with GR in the car last week, their was no buzz this week.
i can understand the frustration with mercedes, it would definitely be exciting with Russell in the other car. But if you're a Lewis fan then you're a Lewis fan. no matter whos in the other car.

f1jcw

Mchamilton wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 20:26
f1jcw wrote:
Mchamilton wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 19:17

fickle fan much?
I don't think supporting since 2007, or seeing Lewis race at silverstone 2006 counts as fickle. But you might have different criteria.

I think we could do with a change and if Redbull are going to do that by offering Perez a well deserved seat I think they will be enough to earn my attention.

Bottas is done, their is no excitement in or out of the car with him. It is about time Mercedes thought of the fans and decide to offer something different at the top to freshen things up. If they don't want to do that, fine it is their choice, but it is also my choice.

i can understand the frustration with mercedes, it would definitely be exciting with Russell in the other car. But if you're a Lewis fan then you're a Lewis fan. no matter whos in the other car.
He has got his 7 titles, with him completing against Bottas next year I can't see any excitment.
There is no excellence in beating someone that has proven this year he is done and dusted.

Lewis could have probably missed 5 races and still ended up as WDC.
They need someone in that seat to compete. Previously their was the charge to beat MS's records, thats done.

nacho

I think Mercedes ran seriously underpowered here.

nacho

f1jcw wrote:

It wasn't Bottas missing last week.

i70q7m7ghw

Such a boring race, but that shouldn't really be a surprise, this track always tends to deliver the dullest racing. It's a shame we got robbed of Perez charging through the field, that was probably the most promising part of the race.

It was a half-decent race from Albon, he did exactly what Red Bull needed their second driver to do today, he was right in the pit window of Mercedes which means they couldn't swap to a 2 stopper without needing to pass Albon on track.

McLaren, bravo, a very solid race to finish the season and pinch 3rd in the constructors, nicely done.

Not much else to say really, such a boring finish to the season, what a shame.

i70q7m7ghw

nacho wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:11
If they did, it's another problem with the restriction on engine modes. Teams have to lock the engine mode in early during the weekend, so there's no chance to max it out towards the end of the last race of the season.

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:16
nacho wrote:
If they did, it's another problem with the restriction on engine modes. Teams have to lock the engine mode in early during the weekend, so there's no chance to max it out towards the end of the last race of the season.
The PU Mode is fixed for qualifying and the race, not before, so there is some time to calibrate it.

But regardless, by defintion the modes would have been maxed out to achieve the best possible time while still finishing the race, the same as the always would have been.

i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:28
Diesel wrote:
nacho wrote:
The PU Mode is fixed for qualifying and the race, not before, so there is some time to calibrate it.

But regardless, by defintion the modes would have been maxed out to achieve the best possible time while still finishing the race, the same as the always would have been.
My point is, they can't turn the engine up and risk it to try and fight for the win. Once they make that choice before qualifying, it's set, regardless of where they qualify and how the race goes. Mercedes may have picked a conservative mode because they assumed they would lock out the front row, and they were stuck with that mode for the race.

Unless you work at Mercedes or have insider info you can't know if they had been "maxed out to achieve the best possible time while still finishing the race", and can only speculate on what the engine modes would have been at any race this year.

toraabe

nzjrs wrote:
Diesel wrote:
nacho wrote:

They were because of k issues...

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:40
nzjrs wrote:
Diesel wrote:

My point is, they can't turn the engine up and risk it to try and fight for the win. Once they make that choice before qualifying, it's set, regardless of where they qualify and how the race goes. Mercedes may have picked a conservative mode because they assumed they would lock out the front row, and they were stuck with that mode for the race.

Unless you work at Mercedes or have insider info you can't know if they had been "maxed out to achieve the best possible time while still finishing the race", and can only speculate on what the engine modes would have been at any race this year.
It's just logic no? Why would you not run the engine in the highest possible mode to achieve the best result without failure?

That was true before the ban and after. What changed was the time resolution of the change.

nzjrs

toraabe wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:41
nzjrs wrote:
Diesel wrote:

They were because of k issues...
So they had the ERS mode only at a lower setting?

i70q7m7ghw

nzjrs wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:42

It's just logic no? Why would you not run the engine in the highest possible mode to achieve the best result without failure?

That was true before the ban and after. What changed was the time resolution of the change.
On that basis, why didn't they just always run a constant engine mode, why would they ever need the option to change it?

The answer is because there is no 1 single mode that is 100% reliable, it's a measure of risk vs reward. A higher engine mode may come with a higher risk of engine failure as well as increased fuel usage. These are risks that might be worth taking when in the final laps of a race, especially in the final laps of the last race of the season. Unfortunately, with the new rules, that decision is made before qualifying, so more often than not it will probably be a conservative decision.

nzjrs

Diesel wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:47
nzjrs wrote:
13 Dec 2020, 21:42

On that basis, why didn't they just always run a constant engine mode, why would they ever need the option to change it?

The answer is because there is no 1 single mode that is 100% reliable, it's a measure of risk vs reward. A higher engine mode may come with a higher risk of engine failure as well as increased fuel usage. These are risks that might be worth taking when in the final laps of a race, especially in the final laps of the last race of the season. Unfortunately, with the new rules, that decision is made before qualifying, so more often than not it will probably be a conservative decision.
If your point is that they will have to be slightly more conservative now then they were before, they sure I agree, it's a question of degree. The best teams will leave the least on the table.

If Mercedes didn't have enough PU life left at the end of season then that's true even if they could change modes freely. It's bad luck for them and I'm sure they won't make the same mistakes next year.

The teams with the most reliability left can run in a higher mode for more time, now as they could before. That was evidently not Mercedes power this race, which is a rare departure from normal service.