2021 Pecking order prediction

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Moore77

2021 Pecking order prediction

Let's start with 2021 predictions.

My prediction.

Mercedes
McLaren/Red Bull
Aston Martin Racing
Ferrari
Renault
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Haas
Williams

Cars to be over a second slower than 2020, thanks to Pirelli's 2021 tyres.
Gangdom: Pom, Tom, Loverboy, Boomer.

Zynerji

Re: 2021 Pecking order prediction

Moore77 wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 19:13

My prediction.

Mercedes
McLaren/Red Bull
Aston Martin Racing
Ferrari
Renault
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Haas
Williams

I'm not sure that I am all-in on this list. I think there are some changes coming, but obviously, we must wait for the actual outcome. Merc is losing a lot of toys for 2021, RBR finishing 2020 strong. Ferrari and RBR bringing engine upgrades (Merc too, I'm sure, but probably MUCH smaller gain than the other 2).

I'm expecting:

Mercedes/Ferrari/RBR
McLaren/Aston Martin/Renault
Alpha Tauri/Alfa Romeo
Haas/Williams

El Scorchio

I'll put Red Bull in second by themselves with McLaren in third. I think driver quality rather than 'just' car quality will put them ahead of Aston Martin.

Otherwise absolutely agree. I think the gap between Mercedes and Red Bull could be pretty slim compared to previous years.

the EDGE

Moore77 wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 19:13

My prediction.

Mercedes
McLaren/Red Bull
Aston Martin Racing
Ferrari
Renault
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Haas
Williams

As a very proud McLaren fan I applaud you sir... sadly I also think your crazy if you think McLaren will be on par with Redbull 😢

I agree with the bottom 3, I doubt much progress will be made with any of them in the off-season given the limited changes available & obviously Mercedes and Redbull will be out front by some margin again, in the same order

The midfield is going to be very very close close again... my uneducated guess is...

McLaren probably have the greatest scope for both improvement & failure. The engine change instillation will be the decider there. I don’t think the loss of tokens will be a big issue for them as the chassis works fine but they must get on top of their aero updates this year and get the best from the car each weekend to hold third. I think Danny (who was their number 1 choice over Carlos originally) will exceed what Carlos did and with another years experience Lando should not be far behind him

I expect Ferrari to still be in the midfield, not back fighting for wins. Their new engine should provide a boost but I think their chassis issues will continue. Carlos will also be a big boost too and given the points Charles has scored I expect them to move up the order

5th didn’t really do Renault justice this year, they had some great performances, or at least Danny R did. Alonso will be great at Renault but he’ll have a tough time matching Danny’s performance. Ocon is also getting his grove back but overall the car has weaknesses they might not be able to solve for next year

Alpha Tauri have also had a good end to the 2020 season and could be stronger next year too, although their new driver may take time to settle in. I don’t expect them to move up given the strength of their competition

An that leaves Aston Martin who I’m still undecided as to where they will end up. There’s no doubt the W10 was a good car, but the carbon copy clearly had some weakness at some events, most notably Stroll. Why any serious team would have choose off-form Vettel over on-form Perez is beyond me and it may prove their undoing next year. You can’t blame Seb’s poor performance down to 1 bad chassis, it’s been seven years in the making. Perhaps a change of scenery and a different style of car will do him good and he’ll be straight back on his top form. I think we will just have to wait and see, but my guess is they will fit in somewhere between 3rd & 6th, but most likely 4th or 5th

notsofast

My predictions:
*It will take longer for Mercedes to wrap up the WCC in 2021 than in 2020
*Competitive midfield with McLaren finishing 3rd again in the WCC
*Williams finishing 9th and Haas 10th

Big Tea

I think too many unpredictable factors here. Another driver at Red Bull, could be up there, of bomb due to the car/team.
Seb with his own performance and that of the car.

Mclaren with a new engine and new driver.

Renault with a new driver and new name, possibly new ethos.

If covid is still a factor, some of the missed races could be crucial to productions in mid field

Too much to call other than Hamilton at Merc 1&1 maybe another championship for him, probably one for Merc.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

DChemTech

Mercedes
Red Bull
Mclaren
Ferrari
Aston Martin Racing
Renault
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Haas
Williams

It will be exciting - in the sense that things will be tighter than this year - but not much different. I'll hand Ferrari a spot over Renault since they have massive budgets (but let's see if they can get the engine together) and a spot over Aston for their driver pairing (Vettel is still not quite fitting for this formula, and while Stroll improved, still Stroll). RB may be closer... but we've said that for years, and every time Mercedes found a new trick too.

LM10

So many people predicting Mclaren 3rd best and some even that they’re going to fight it out with RBR.
They’ll get a totally new PU. That’s a huge change and they’ll need time to adapt. Just because it’s going to be a Mercedes PU won’t give them a ticket for top 3.

hUirEYExbN

Mercedes
Ferrari
McLaren
Red Bull
Renault
Aston Martin
Alfa Romeo
Alpha Tauri
Williams
Haas

I have never been good at predictions, so I went somewhat against what I actually think will happen.

SmallSoldier

LM10 wrote:So many people predicting Mclaren 3rd best and some even that they’re going to fight it out with RBR.
They’ll get a totally new PU. That’s a huge change and they’ll need time to adapt. Just because it’s going to be a Mercedes PU won’t give them a ticket for top 3.
I thank that the difficulty to integrate the new engine is overstated... Not only has McLaren gone through a few engine changes in the last decade, they also have had a good amount of time to prepare for the change.

Been said that, the Mercedes PU itself isn’t going to give them 0.7 seconds (which is an average of what they will need to be closer to RBR and Mercedes), so expecting them to be mixing it at the front is a big ask... Fighting again to lead the midfield is a more sensible expectation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just_a_fan

Zynerji wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 19:18
Merc is losing a lot of toys for 2021
They're losing DAS, yes, but what else are they losing that no one else is? Or do you think the aero changes will hit them harder because of their aero philosophy compared to e.g. Red Bull?

It'll be interesting to see who loses most from the floor and diffuser changes.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Scorpaguy

Head - Merc, RB, Ren, Mcl, Fer, AM, AT, Wil, AR, Ha

Gut - RB, Merc, Ren, Fer, AM, Mcl, AT, AR, Wil, Ha

Wish - AR, AM, Fer, Ha, Wil, Ren, Mcl, AT, RB, safety car, recovery crane, tow truck, track sweeper, Lewis's moped, Merc

Zynerji

Just_a_fan wrote:
19 Dec 2020, 01:41
Zynerji wrote:
18 Dec 2020, 19:18
Merc is losing a lot of toys for 2021
They're losing DAS, yes, but what else are they losing that no one else is? Or do you think the aero changes will hit them harder because of their aero philosophy compared to e.g. Red Bull?

It'll be interesting to see who loses most from the floor and diffuser changes.
I think low rake pays a penalty when floor area diminishes.

Mclarensenna

My prediction.

Mercedes
Aston Martin Racing
McLaren/Red Bull
Ferrari
Renault
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Haas
Williams

Shrieker

Wishing for Mercedes/Red Bull/Ferrari/McLaren in the same tier.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk