2021 Pecking order prediction

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Hammerfist

Re: 2021 Pecking order prediction

Just_a_fan wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 19:46
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 19:01

I am bullish on Ferrari. All signs point to a much improved car
What signs? We've seen nothing from them yet other than whispers in the wind. Not saying they won't turn up at the first test and surprise everyone, but until then we have no idea whether they will be like last year or like early 2018.
So you have not read the stories about how they were being forced to run lower fuel rates in 2020? Even if you don't believe that, (whch I don't) but it does suggest that they will be back to closer to "normal" this year with a new power unit. And this year's car will have been designed with the proper engine power in mind, unlike last year's.

McMika98

4 way title battle between Lewis, Alonso, Max & Leclerc. Lewis to pull ahead first but squander it leaving Alonso to get his WC first year back.

6 teams to each get a win: Merc, Ferrari, RB, McLaren, Renault, Aston Martin.

aMessageToCharlie

From Leclerc's statements it didnt sound like they're expecting to be fighting at the front this year. Something along the lines of "we have to build on from where we were last year..."

I hope RB will surprise and be capeable of winning from the start for once, but I fully expect Mercedes to run away with it fairly uncontested once again.

AMR is somewhat of a dark horse, but I dont expect them to be capeable of running with the big dogs. So probably business as usual at the front, but a promising midfield battle to look forward to.

Jolle

Hammerfist wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 06:03
Just_a_fan wrote:
Hammerfist wrote:
25 Feb 2021, 19:01

I am bullish on Ferrari. All signs point to a much improved car
What signs? We've seen nothing from them yet other than whispers in the wind. Not saying they won't turn up at the first test and surprise everyone, but until then we have no idea whether they will be like last year or like early 2018.
So you have not read the stories about how they were being forced to run lower fuel rates in 2020? Even if you don't believe that, (whch I don't) but it does suggest that they will be back to closer to "normal" this year with a new power unit. And this year's car will have been designed with the proper engine power in mind, unlike last year's.
You don’t find 100 hp suddenly a year after you could only got 50 by cheating.

So far only people in red shirts with yellow badges said this.
Normally, the four manufacturers find about the same amount of HP year over year plus the main parts of the car haven’t changed.

I expect Ferrari in the midfield mix with Renault, McLaren, Alpha Tauri and Aston Martin. Well behind Mercedes and RedBull.

Ringleheim

Jolle wrote:
27 Feb 2021, 20:53
Hammerfist wrote:
26 Feb 2021, 06:03
Just_a_fan wrote:

You don’t find 100 hp suddenly a year after you could only got 50 by cheating.

So far only people in red shirts with yellow badges said this.
Normally, the four manufacturers find about the same amount of HP year over year plus the main parts of the car haven’t changed.

I expect Ferrari in the midfield mix with Renault, McLaren, Alpha Tauri and Aston Martin. Well behind Mercedes and RedBull.
I disagree that Ferrari can't make up 100bhp on this year's new engine. It's possible. It mostly depends on where they were starting from, which was quite a low point going back several years of development. They chose to upgrade that engine not with solid revamping of the design, but by cheating tricks!

The baseline remained low.

Now, will the added bhp make the Ferrari a Mercedes challenging car? No, I don't think so. I think the car has problems all over the place, and the whole thing has been masked by the engine problems.

Ferrari told us themselves, last year, that their problems would extend into this year (2021).

I believe them!

I.E., Ferrari might end up 4th in the constructor's championship this year. Something like that.

Slo Poke

Constructors:
RedBull Honda.

Driver:
There’ll be five champions on the grid this year,.. good luck to the other four,.. they’ll need it.

Just_a_fan

Slo Poke wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 00:58
Constructors:
RedBull Honda.

Driver:
There’ll be five champions on the grid this year,.. good luck to the other four,.. they’ll need it.
So that's your way of saying Max will win the title? Just say it if you think it.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Slo Poke

Just_a_fan wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 01:19
Slo Poke wrote:
Constructors:
RedBull Honda.

Driver:
So that's your way of saying Max will win the title? Just say it if you think it.
With oodles of respect for you Just a Fan, I obviously did! Although there are two other names mentioned above, neither of who are to be messed with lightly.
Although; because Perez scares the hell out of me! He’s iffy.

Jolle

Slo Poke wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 01:47
Just_a_fan wrote:
Slo Poke wrote:
Constructors:
RedBull Honda.

Driver:
With oodles of respect for you Just a Fan, I obviously did! Although there are two other names mentioned above, neither of who are to be messed with lightly.
Perez iffy? How do you mean?

Slo Poke

Jolle wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 01:57
Slo Poke wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 01:47
Just_a_fan wrote:

Perez iffy? How do you mean?
I’ll try to keep this as short as I can.
Any good driver/racer knows more about what’s going on behind and can instantly react to eke out a forced altered line of defence or even a line of compromise and counter. That’s if he’s ahead. In attack, his tactics always seem to be force the issue rather than prosecute the issue with judicious prejudice.
Motor racing is a ruthless sport on track, or it’s supposed to be. A racer of motorised equipment has to be brave with his maturity, a juggler of multiple aspects that he can and will fit together like a jigsaw, if he’s staid enough. He seems excitably childlike and unable to open the box. He has a mountain to climb and there’s a lot on his shoulders.
Max! Christ,.. he’s the second coming of Clark.

godlameroso

So Perez is having the same issues as his predecessors?
Saishū kōnā

Slo Poke

godlameroso wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 06:30
So Perez is having the same issues as his predecessors?
Not necessarily Godlameroso! As long as he takes what is essentially his car, during the race and fits it judiciously where he knows it will go, he will not incur or realise any issues.
Maturity on track and on public roads is all too often left at the roadside.

GhostF1

RBR - Finally get it together, and a highly motivated Honda

Mercedes - Not expecting a game changing jump, weaker driver pairing than RBR

Aston Martin - They should of been 3rd last year, more money, progressing structure, good vibes and a renewed Seb

Ferrari - Largely rectified their engine issues

McLaren - Still strong but ultimately lose out to Ferrari

Alpha Tauri - Won't be surprised to see a fairly substantial jump from this team this year.

Alpine - Expecting to be the most stagnant team (lowest result versus expectations), all focus shifted to 2022 and Alonso I fear will not be on his game. Only PU to have minimal/if any progression over 2020 due to all new engine in 22.

Alfa Romeo - Getting Stronger

Williams - Also getting stronger

Haas - No performance increase in relation to others, rookie lineup has its risks.

Wouter

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 08:39
RBR - Finally get it together, and a highly motivated Honda

Mercedes - Not expecting a game changing jump, weaker driver pairing than RBR

Aston Martin - They should of been 3rd last year, more money, progressing structure, good vibes and a renewed Seb

Ferrari - Largely rectified their engine issues

McLaren - Still strong but ultimately lose out to Ferrari

Alpha Tauri - Won't be surprised to see a fairly substantial jump from this team this year.

Alpine - Expecting to be the most stagnant team (lowest result versus expectations), all focus shifted to 2022 and Alonso I fear will not be on his game. Only PU to have minimal/if any progression over 2020 due to all new engine in 22.

Alfa Romeo - Getting Stronger

Williams - Also getting stronger

Haas - No performance increase in relation to others, rookie lineup has its risks.
I completely agree with your list @GhostF1.
The Power of Dreams!

nzjrs

GhostF1 wrote:
01 Mar 2021, 08:39
I like your summary but I really have no idea what I should think about Alpine. On the one hand their trajectory last year was good, but on the other hand they will be judged against McLaren which has changed more over the season break. It's just really tough for me to reason either way.