2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
MKlaus

Re: 2021 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix - Imola, Apr 16 - 18

dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:40
Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:16
Why is it not 1-1? How do you think it is?
I didn't say it wasn't 1-1, I was implying you can't directly compare drivers in different cars.
but you can compare drivers across generations when it suits you to prove one is greater than the other. :lol:

Wouter

RZS10 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:20
The wheel bearing thing is rather hard to believe, not only because not a single other outlet has mentioned it, but because Helmut Marko would mention it in every sentence spoken to the media, just like he did with the issues Max supposedly had in Q and R in Bahrain.

One can watch his Q3 runs and he doesn't avoid a single curb.
Max on TV: "We found a problem with the car, which meant that it didn't run very well in qualifying.
Fortunately we were allowed to replace that and after that the car went much better over the curbstones.
We're glad we found that problem.” The team replaced part of the suspension called the RHS pullrod end eye.
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:48
Reading is difficult, isn't it ? #-o You talk your way out again, as usual.
Reading is easy, but reading comprehension is hard for some!
197 104 103 7

dans79

MKlaus wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:55
but you can compare drivers across generations when it suits you to prove one is greater than the other. :lol:
Please show me where I have compared drivers across generations with regards to their ability to qualify!
197 104 103 7

RZS10

Ah alright thanks for the source/info, man i hate how shitty sites use "we learned that" as if they have some insider info, they could easily just write "he said in an interview with RTL"
He did not specify whether they found the issue post quali or shortly before, which meant they did not have the time to fix it before? He still went full send over all curbs (clearly evident in the onboard) only that the car probably didn't like it very much ... lol

dans79

RZS10 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:15
Ah alright thanks for the source/info, man i hate how shitty sites use "we learned that" as if they have some insider info, they could easily just write "he said in an interview with RTL"
That's new media for you, a lot of them play fast and loose with sources, and facts!
197 104 103 7

RZS10

That's why i usually don't believe such claims so i'm glad Wouter could point me in the right direction

Phil

Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:53
Phil wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:29
Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:16
Normally Max is better at qualifying, but he had a broken wheel bearing in Imola, so he was not allowed to drive over the curbs and that took him time. The wheel bearing was replaced on Saturday evening.
I'm fairly certain I saw Max going over the curbs all day long over the entire weekend leading up to Saturday (especially at the chicane). If he had avoided curbs entirely, he'd have most probably been a long way off that pole time.
https://f1-insider.com/verstappen-forme ... entspannt/

F1-Insider.com erfuhr: Nach dem dritten freien Training gab es einen kleinen Radlagerschaden, der große Auswirkungen auf die Funktionsweise der filigranen Red-Bull-Radaufhängungen hatte.
Folge: Der Red Bull war schwieriger am Limit zu fahren und der Niederländer konnte nicht mehr brutal über die hohen Randsteine in Imola räubern: Genau das aber wäre nötig gewesen, um die entscheidenden Zehntelsekunden zu gewinnen.
F1-Insider.com found out: After the third free practice session, there was a small damage to the wheel bearing that had a major impact on the functionality of the filigree Red Bull wheel suspensions.
Result: The Red Bull was more difficult to drive at the limit and the Dutchman could no longer brutally raid the high curbs in Imola: But that was exactly what would have been necessary to win the decisive tenths of a second.
What it says in German implies that the RedBull could have been more difficult to drive at the limit - not that he needed to avoid the curbs or that he in fact did. Feel free to watch the onboards. He certainly wasnt avoiding them the way you stated earlier.
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Wouter

Phil wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:26
Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:53
Phil wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 19:29

I'm fairly certain I saw Max going over the curbs all day long over the entire weekend leading up to Saturday (especially at the chicane). If he had avoided curbs entirely, he'd have most probably been a long way off that pole time.
https://f1-insider.com/verstappen-forme ... entspannt/

F1-Insider.com erfuhr: Nach dem dritten freien Training gab es einen kleinen Radlagerschaden, der große Auswirkungen auf die Funktionsweise der filigranen Red-Bull-Radaufhängungen hatte.
Folge: Der Red Bull war schwieriger am Limit zu fahren und der Niederländer konnte nicht mehr brutal über die hohen Randsteine in Imola räubern: Genau das aber wäre nötig gewesen, um die entscheidenden Zehntelsekunden zu gewinnen.
F1-Insider.com found out: After the third free practice session, there was a small damage to the wheel bearing that had a major impact on the functionality of the filigree Red Bull wheel suspensions.
Result: The Red Bull was more difficult to drive at the limit and the Dutchman could no longer brutally raid the high curbs in Imola: But that was exactly what would have been necessary to win the decisive tenths of a second.
What it says in German implies that the RedBull could have been more difficult to drive at the limit - not that he needed to avoid the curbs or that he in fact did. Feel free to watch the onboards. He certainly wasnt avoiding them the way you stated earlier.
During qualifying, Max found he couldn't drive over some curbs like he used to. He had to get over it more carefully. Some low curbs were not a problem, but other curbs were a problem. His team then advised him to avoid the curbs that bothered him in the car. He did. Immediately after qualifying they did an extensive search to find out why and luckily for him, they found the problem and were allowed to solve it before the race. That's all I've heard.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

RZS10 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:15
He did not specify whether they found the issue post quali or shortly before, which meant they did not have the time to fix it before? He still went full send over all curbs (clearly evident in the onboard) only that the car probably didn't like it very much ... lol
During qualifying, Max found he couldn't drive over some curbs like he used to. He had to get over it more carefully. Some low curbs were not a problem, but other curbs were a problem. His team then advised him to avoid the curbs that bothered him in the car. He did. Immediately after qualifying they did an extensive search to find out why and luckily for him, they found the problem and were allowed to solve it before the race. That's all I've heard.
The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:10
Wouter wrote:
How nice to see that you know yourself so well! :)
The Power of Dreams!

dans79

Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 22:07
dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 21:10
Wouter wrote:
How nice to see that you know yourself so well! :)
ha, i wasn't referring to myself, nice try though!
197 104 103 7

Phil

Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 22:01

Hum yeah...
Not for nothing, Rosberg's Championship is the only thing that lends credibility to Hamilton's recent success. Otherwise, he'd just be the guy who's had the best car. — bhall II
#Team44 supporter

Sieper

dans79 wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:13
Wouter wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 20:05
Lewis has 44 points and Max has 43 points now.

What is the point of scoring points in your opinion, if you cannot compare them, because after all they are not in the same car?
go back and read the conversation again, we aren't talking about the race. We are talking about comparing drivers in qualifying.

NathanOlder made a comment about qualifying between Sergio & Max.
Sieper made a comment about comparing Max & Lewis.
I responded to Sieper........
He actually didn’t speak about Max. He was talking about “that guy” (even Lewis himself stopped referring to Max as “that guy” after two seasons or so) that was “supposed to be fast”.

I think “that guy” is plenty fast.

If we want to actually discuss qualy, fine. Last race Checo got stuck in Q2 even with 2 tries and Max was through in 1 try on a track that was quickly building up speed. This time around Max obviously made a quite big error, but still it was only a few hundreds of a second between them. There were some mitigating factors (missed FP2, switched to yellow for Q2 (Perez was red red red in each Q session) and he had a wheelbearing issue, none of which “guy” was hiding behind, just owned up to the mistake and went on with racing. Fast. Not supposedly fast.

dans79

Sieper wrote:
22 Apr 2021, 22:39
and he had a wheelbearing issue,
Scroll up, it wasn't a wheel bearing issue!
197 104 103 7