2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2021 Portuguese Grand Prix - Portimão, Apr 30 - May 02

mclaren111 wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 14:42
I'm looking forward to Mclaren beating Ferrari in the Best of the Rest fight... :D :mrgreen: :D
McLaren has a high straight line speed and likes high speed corners. It’s a fast car overall, but Bahrain and Imola both being tracks where power matters and Imola having high speed corners on top of that played more into their hands than Ferrari’s.
Portimao has similar characteristics, so Ferrari might be a tad behind McLaren again, but I don’t think that’s going to be the case on all tracks.

etusch

SirBastianVettel wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 11:22
Has anyone watched any recent races at this track? I wonder what the current state of the track surface is like. Last year it was obviously very difficult for the teams to generate heat in the tires and this may have had an impact on the competitiveness of certain teams.
Same weekend with F1 imola gp, MotoGp was at portimao and I didn't read anything about track surface from riders.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

etusch wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:19
Same weekend with F1 imola gp, MotoGp was at portimao and I didn't read anything about track surface from riders.
Thanks for the info! I personally don't watch MotoGP, so I don't know how sensitive their tires are compared to Formula cars or even something like LMP cars. But I imagine if it was anything like last year they would have struggled somewhat.

etusch

SirBastianVettel wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:53
etusch wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 12:19
Thanks for the info! I personally don't watch MotoGP, so I don't know how sensitive their tires are compared to Formula cars or even something like LMP cars. But I imagine if it was anything like last year they would have struggled somewhat.
I think they are more sensitive, they are prototip bike which are very powerfull and uses tyres made for them specially like F1. If there were a surface riders didn't like they would talk about it.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Kingshark
Kingshark

JPower wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 01:11
godlameroso wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 00:25
JPower wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 00:18
No reason to think McLaren and Ferrari can't fight for another podium IMO. I think the field is close enough for someone from one of those teams is going to nail a Q3 lap to breakup the Merc/RB duos.

However, I don't think that'll be the case past June. I'm curious to see how long Merc/RB continue their development race.
Unless Bottas or Perez both make mistakes, McFerAT will be fighting for 5th. Right now is their best chance before the grid settles into the true pecking order.
Entirely possible if you ask me. Granted, both Perez and Bottas were pretty good at Portimao last year but its a new year with new cars, who knows what could happen.
Didn’t Bottas get annihilated by Hamilton last year on race pace?

JPower
JPower

Kingshark wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 21:00
JPower wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 01:11
godlameroso wrote:
26 Apr 2021, 00:25

Unless Bottas or Perez both make mistakes, McFerAT will be fighting for 5th. Right now is their best chance before the grid settles into the true pecking order.
Entirely possible if you ask me. Granted, both Perez and Bottas were pretty good at Portimao last year but its a new year with new cars, who knows what could happen.
Didn’t Bottas get annihilated by Hamilton last year on race pace?
Yes.

Pretty good doesn't mean great. He was reasonably quick all weekend. Lewis out tire managed him as usual. :D

godlameroso

Dry sunny and cool temperatures all weekend long except for fp1, which may be a bit damp to start.

Should be a normal weekend. More people are going to want to redeem their season.
Saishū kōnā

There will be a second DRS zone for drivers to use at this weekend's Portuguese Grand Prix, with word that the existing area has been shortened as well.

The new zone will be located between Turns 4 and 5, with the detection point 35 metres before the uphill left-hander while the activation point will be placed 180 metres after the exit.

As for last year's DRS zone, it will start 120 metres later than it did last year.
Source: http://www.gptoday.com/full_story/view/ ... rand_Prix/

That should make things more interesting. If I remember correctly the DRS zone last year was a little too powerful, was it not?

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Rather than starting the DRS zone later, would it be better to start it early and end it early? That way the following driver gets to close on the leading driver but probably loses DRS before he passes the other car. Then the approach to the braking zone would be more like a traditional situation. Sometimes, we see the following car being able to be several car lengths ahead by the time the cars brake for the corner.

I guess the DRS system would have to close automatically on passing a the end of the DRS zone, which adds a level of complication.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

cheeRS
cheeRS

Just_a_fan wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 17:14
Rather than starting the DRS zone later, would it be better to start it early and end it early? That way the following driver gets to close on the leading driver but probably loses DRS before he passes the other car. Then the approach to the braking zone would be more like a traditional situation. Sometimes, we see the following car being able to be several car lengths ahead by the time the cars brake for the corner.

I guess the DRS system would have to close automatically on passing a the end of the DRS zone, which adds a level of complication.
Yeah, IIRC they've never done something like that. DRS always ends when the driver starts braking. There'd have to be some rule changes to allow it to close 'early', and then a bunch of loopholes like DRS taking several seconds to close :lol:
🤭 wrote:
“Being the 'most successful statistically' has nothing to do with being the 'best'. neither when it comes to the cars, nor when it comes to the drivers” 😂

dtro
dtro

Curious to see what the losses after 2020 will amount to on this track. Seems like the teams are getting a better handle on the setups/sweet spots for the most part. Ferrari, Alfa and McL stand to gain the most potentially.

tpe
tpe

cheeRS wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 17:30
Just_a_fan wrote:

Yeah, IIRC they've never done something like that. DRS always ends when the driver starts braking. There'd have to be some rule changes to allow it to close 'early', and then a bunch of loopholes like DRS taking several seconds to close :lol:
Actually no.
Because remember the ECU is controlled by FIA. And the DRS actuator is/could be standard.
And in any case, this is easily monitored.
I like the above idea TBH, it's really interesting and FIA should at least test it in one GP.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

tpe wrote:
cheeRS wrote:
27 Apr 2021, 17:30
Just_a_fan wrote:

Actually no.
Because remember the ECU is controlled by FIA. And the DRS actuator is/could be standard.
And in any case, this is easily monitored.
I like the above idea TBH, it's really interesting and FIA should at least test it in one GP.
The DRS is hydraulically activated it has to be activated by the driver and it closes when the drivers press the brakes... I don’t think it would be feasible for it to be automatically closed and it will probably created a safety issue too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pany
Pany

Nothing could be wrong.
tpe wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 21:11
haza wrote:
25 Apr 2021, 20:53
I think people are forgetting that it’s not just a Hamilton Verstappen championship battle Bottas, Perez all in championship winning cars and posting good times in quali (perez p2) Norris last weekend less than half a tenth from pole before deleted lap and making a Mercedes work for 5-6 laps to get p2 in the end of the race with Norris on shot soft tires
From Bahrain to Imola Mercedes have found pace over redbull McLaren have found nearly a second in performance from Bahrain to Imola (if you look at the quali times) and Ferrari right there also for all we know come Abu Dhabi it could be a 4 way championship battle yes Bottas and Perez made mistakes last weekend but even Hamilton made mistakes this season could be a 2012 repeat 🤞🏼
That would be possible if teams continue the development of 2021 cars. But I think Ferrari and McLaren will stop development soon.