2021 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 18 - 20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
dans79

Re: 2021 French Grand Prix - Le Castellet, June 18 - 20

The map for the ICE must stay the same, the only thing the drivers and teams can change is the ERS settings.
197 104 103 7

PlatinumZealot

The maps are very complex so they can have more than one mode with "one" map quite easily.

I say one map in quotes because a Even street engine uses more than one map. There is at least three.. But the load, rpm, timing, throttle map is what i think is restricted. But behind that you can do a bunch of stuff... You could play with temperatures, ERS, boost etc to manipulate the behaviour of the main load, throttle, timing rpm. Map. And another thing too, these direct injection ignition maps are very complex already I dont even think there is any single table for spark timing.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

fritticaldi

Does anyone know why they dont use the full Mistral straight anylonger? The drivers would take the Signes curve flatout.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

fritticaldi wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 17:44
Does anyone know why they dont use the full Mistral straight anylonger? The drivers would take the Signes curve flatout.
As a guess, I'd say safety, but that would be an odd argument when one considers the straights in Baku and in China.

It would certainly change the cars - you'd have to run a skinny rear wing or be mugged on the straight. That would make the last few corners a bit "interesting".
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

maxxer
maxxer

hopefully Pirelli will bring better tires and not change the outcome of a race again well they will call it debris ofcourse

Wouter

maxxer wrote:
15 Jun 2021, 18:59
hopefully Pirelli will bring better tires and not change the outcome of a race again well they will call it debris ofcourse
Pireli investigated Max and Stroll's tire.

The Power of Dreams!

Wouter

More from Motorsport.

In a bid to get to the bottom of what happened, Pirelli flew the tyres back to its Milan headquarters for a detailed analysis in its laboratories.

On Tuesday, the Italian tyre company issued a release making it clear that the failures were not caused by a production fault, wear nor delamination.

It went on reveal that the blowouts were instead caused by a circumferential break on the inner sidewall of the tyres, rather than being the result of a cut from debris.

The statement suggested that the breaks in the sidewall were likely caused by the ‘running condition of the tyre’ – which is probably related to either tyre pressures or the temperatures they were run at.

“This analysis also took in the tyres used by other cars in the race, which had the same or a higher number of laps on them compared to the ones that were damaged,” it said.

“The process established that there was no production or quality defect on any of the tyres; nor was there any sign of fatigue or delamination. The causes of the two left-rear tyre failures on the Aston Martin and Red Bull cars have been clearly identified. In each case, this was down to a circumferential break on the inner sidewall, which can be related to the running conditions of the tyre, in spite of the prescribed starting parameters (minimum pressure and maximum blanket temperature) having been followed.”

Pirelli revealed that new pressure and tyre blanket protocols were to be put in place to ensure there could be no repeat of the Baku problem, with teams having already been informed by the FIA of what new processes must be followed.

While Pirelli suggests how the tyres were run triggered the incidents, Red Bull issued a statement insisting it followed all the recommendations given to it.
It said: “We have worked closely with Pirelli and the FIA during their investigation into Max’s tyre failure on lap 47 of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix and can confirm that no car fault was found. We adhered to Pirelli’s tyre parameters at all times and will continue to follow their guidance.

"We are grateful that following the weekend’s high speed impacts no drivers were injured.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/pire ... n/6572225/
The Power of Dreams!

wesley123
wesley123

So Pirelli's own, totally objective investigation says exactly f* all, unsurprising.

Ah well, at least they weren't crashes at 300kph...
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

langedweil

As per Dieter Rencken :

Among the additions, teams have been told delaying the departure of their cars from the pits after their tyre blankets have been removed will be considered a means of cooling their tyres. Any frequent occurrences of this, or delays lasting more than half a minute, will need to be justified by the team involved.

Ehm, can anyone please explain !?
Is there now a minimum temp as well, or was there always ?
I never knew the use of blankets was mandatory ..
HuggaWugga !

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

langedweil wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 00:00
As per Dieter Rencken :

Among the additions, teams have been told delaying the departure of their cars from the pits after their tyre blankets have been removed will be considered a means of cooling their tyres. Any frequent occurrences of this, or delays lasting more than half a minute, will need to be justified by the team involved.

The teams want the tyres not to be too hot so that the pressures are lower, but they want the tread to be hot enough to perform for the single flying lap. In effect, they are getting the tyre warm and then letting it cool a bit so the pressure drops. It's a way of getting around the minimum tyre pressures mandated by Pirelli. At least that's how I read it.

To add. I think the suggestion is that they heat them in the blankets, set the tyre pressure to Pirelli's mandated level. Get them checked and approved. Then sit at the end of the pit lane cooling them a bit which drops the pressures. Then do a calm out lap which prevents the pressures rising again. Then on the hot lap, the tread heats up and performs. The tyre heats up during the lap which means the pressures increase again. That might be why we're seeing people struggling in the last sector. The tyre pressures have increased a bit and they lose some grip.

godlameroso

If the teams aren't worried about putting temperature in the tires, then what is the point of tire blankets? Something doesn't add up.
Saishū kōnā

langedweil

Just_a_fan wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 00:05
langedweil wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 00:00
As per Dieter Rencken :

The teams want the tyres not to be too hot so that the pressures are lower, but they want the tread to be hot enough to perform for the single flying lap. In effect, they are getting the tyre warm and then letting it cool a bit so the pressure drops. It's a way of getting around the minimum tyre pressures mandated by Pirelli. At least that's how I read it.

To add. I think the suggestion is that they heat them in the blankets, set the tyre pressure to Pirelli's mandated level. Get them checked and approved. Then sit at the end of the pit lane cooling them a bit which drops the pressures. Then do a calm out lap which prevents the pressures rising again. Then on the hot lap, the tread heats up and performs. The tyre heats up during the lap which means the pressures increase again. That might be why we're seeing people struggling in the last sector. The tyre pressures have increased a bit and they lose some grip.
Ok, simple fix then: set/define a minimum pressure at .. I don't know, 25C?
So instead of 20psi at 80C, set it to 15psi at 25C (dunno of those numbers are anywhere realistic, but you get the hang)

I mean, if you want to cement the minimum pressure, why'd you look at way higher temps to verify ?

Or maybe I just have had a rough day causing my brain numbness ..
HuggaWugga !

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

godlameroso wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 00:11
If the teams aren't worried about putting temperature in the tires, then what is the point of tire blankets? Something doesn't add up.
The tyres need heat to get them working. They're rubbish when cold. But the teams want lower pressures as that gives better grip. The tyres have a temperature window- a band of temperature they work in. So they're trying to thread the narrow line between good temperatures and good pressures. Get the tyre hot enough to work but cool enough for low pressure.

Remember that the blankets are operating at lower than optimum temperature. The tyres come out of the blankets "warm" rather than "hot".

maxxer
maxxer

godlameroso wrote:
16 Jun 2021, 00:11
I Have seen Max to take of the blankets earlier a few times but for sure it doesnt add up they both were running for a long time since the blankets came off. I thought tire blankets where supposed to be gone anyway ? Lets do next race without them and still see failures

godlameroso

Some people posit it could be the nature of the track. Very long straights, and the new tires with heavier tread, meaning more forces acting on the sidewalls. When you spin stuff at 330kph that spinning stuff has a lot of centrifugal force. Combine the tire being cold due to the slow speed section putting little heat in the tire, vs the high speed sections heating and stretching the tire, along with the heavier tread construction adding more load to the side wall. We end up with side wall failure. Shouldn't be an issue at the next track, but may be at tracks that have continuous high speed sections and low speed sections.

The effect being similar to forming a crease in an envelope after repeated folding making it easier to tear.
Saishū kōnā